Too much or be like nike and 'just do it'?

mcat12

I am thinking of doing the helicopter/glacier/dogsled tour in Juneau and the flightsee in Ketchikan. Do you think this is "overdoing" air excursions? Should we include a hike or kayak trip instead? My husband and I have never been to Alaksa and this is my husbands dream cruise. We will probably never make it to Alaska again, so we don't want to miss a "must see/do/once in a lifetime" excursion.

Note: we will be cruising may 14-21, we are in our early 30s

Thank you for any help :)

Once in a lifetime trip, probably won't be back-JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!! If it is something you really want to do, who cares what anyone else thinks? We are doing 2 air trips and 2 glacier tours, because that is what WE want to do. Sounds like you have made your decision and are fighting it with second guessing-have a great trip YOU want to do

I say you cram in as much as possible! Most people limit thier excursions or vary them based on thier budget. If they splurge on an expensive flight seeing tour or bear viewing tour they balance that with less expensive days in another port.

I say don't limit yourself unless your budget calls for it. But if you can pull it off then Just Do It!

If you have the budget for these excursions and they are high on your list of priorities, then by all means go for them. Not everyone can afford these excursions and that is usually why they don't go on them. (or they are afraid to fly in small aircraft)

Once in a lifetime!? Honey, I've got sweatshirts older than you!

Regardless, I say, "Go for it."

Haha!

Now I'm torn. There are great reviews on here about the Taku Lodge-Flight & Feast and Harv & Marv's whale watching, both available in Juneau. We are in port from 7-3pm that day, think we can squeeze both excursions in? I can push the dogsled/helicopter to Skagway since its a longer port day (7am-9pm) while still doing the jeep rental.

what do you think?:confused:

Haha!

Now I'm torn. There are great reviews on here about the Taku Lodge-Flight & Feast and Harv & Marv's whale watching, both available in Juneau. We are in port from 7-3pm that day, think we can squeeze both excursions in? I can push the dogsled/helicopter to Skagway since its a longer port day (7am-9pm) while still doing the jeep rental.

what do you think?:confused:

Same thing for us - 2009 was our "Once in a lifetime,never going back probably, do it all"...

Just got back last month from Trip of a Lifetime #2, planning #3 for 2014/2015:D

Admittedly we have NOT done a glacier tour, but there were people on both our trips that did both Harv & Marv (we've gone three times in two trips with them!). I also confirmed with our fishing guide in Skagway that they fly into the same glacial areas as the Juneau trips, just from a different direction. Also, you likely would have time to do a Misty Fjords fligtseeing trip, and then a kayak tour of the Ketchikan waterfront area (Creek Street, etc), if not a more out of town tour. It all depends on timing - and budget - and stamina.

We love every minute we can squeeze into our Alaska trips,a nd fidure we'll do it while we still can, in case we're fortunate to be alive in a few decades, but less able/too smart to try some of these things in the future;). Have a blast planning!

L.J.

What are YOUR interests???? :) Your flight options are very different. There also is no need to firm this up at this point for travel next year. Be well prepared for back up plans with glacier dog sledding- most canceled tour.

There are more "must dos" than can fit in 10 visits. :)

Keep the options open and find out what your preferences are, not just what is "popular" or what other's rave about.

What are YOUR interests???? :) Your flight options are very different. There also is no need to firm this up at this point for travel next year. Be well prepared for back up plans with glacier dog sledding- most canceled tour.

There are more "must dos" than can fit in 10 visits. :)

Keep the options open and find out what your preferences are, not just what is "popular" or what other's rave about.

We're originally from outside of Syracuse (Rome)! We're outdoors people. In alaska i think we would be interested in flight seeing, salmon fishing (although we hear that's better in later summer), whale watching, dog sledding, kayaking, photography, hiking.

I heard back from the Ketchikan tour operator and think that flightseeing and kayaking are the way to go there. We are going to whale watch with Harv & marv in Juneau and walk some trails at mendenhall. We will do the helicopter and dog sledding in skagway along with rent a jeep and travel to emerald lake. If dog sledding gets cancelled, there's nothing I can do about it...maybe we can fish during that time frame instead. I'm also planning on taking the cruises tour on the smaller boat through Tracy arm fjord.

That should keep us busy enough to hold my husbands interest ;)

Thanks for everyone's insight!

Once in a lifetime!? Honey, I've got sweatshirts older than you!

Yeah, it is weird seing people in their 30's describe a week long cruise as a "once in a lifetime". But I guess it is better for a person to enjoy their cruise to its fullest and come back 10, 20, 30, 40,, or 50 years later, rather then not engaging in it fully thinking that they be back but in reality they wont.

Archived