I hope the Captain has a better map!

uktog

Well we all love the Celebrity website and know it can be inaccurate. I just happened to be looking at a cruise I have next June and found this map.

Looks OK???

LGW_FAE_REK_AEY_AES_BGO_LGW.jpg

Well it would be except that we are stopping at Torshavn in the Faroe Islands NOT Thorshaven in Scandanavia

Does NOBODY check things - these are the maps that go into the brochures, I hope someone has checked the 2013 brochure very carefully and made sure our Captain knows where he is going

At least your ship doesn't try to follow Hannibal's elephants across the Alps:

Solsticelandcrossing.png

Perhaps you've let the cat out of the bag. Yes, Celebrity has a new secret project to develop the first amphibian cruise ship. This class of ship will be able to go 23 knots at sea and 55 mph while on land. A special pulley system will allow it to climb the highest mountains without difficulty.

Solsticelandcrossing.png

I had a nightmare once about trying to catch I ship I missed when it was going down a road.... :eek::eek:

Now I know what itinerary I must have been on!

Well we all love the Celebrity website and know it can be inaccurate. I just happened to be looking at a cruise I have next June and found this map.

Looks OK???

LGW_FAE_REK_AEY_AES_BGO_LGW.jpg

Well it would be except that we are stopping at Torshavn in the Faroe Islands NOT Thorshaven in Scandanavia. Does NOBODY check things - these are the maps that go into the brochures, I hope someone has checked the 2013 brochure very carefully and made sure our Captain knows where he is going

I totally do not understand this post. Does it make sense to others?

First of all, Thorshaven and Thorshavn are both alternative spellings for Torshavn. The first of these (Thorshaven) is widely used in English literature -- as well as German, for what it is worth -- which makes sense, since Torshavn means Thor's harbor.

Secondly, Scandinavia is BOTH the name of the Norway/Sweden peninsula AND the cultural area of Norway, Sweden and Denmark. I.e., it is also often applied to Iceland, the Faroe Islands and Finland as well.

So what exactly is the mistake, or am I completely missing something (which would hardly be the first time)?

First of all, Thorshaven and Thorshavn are both alternative spellings for Torshavn. The first of these (Thorshaven) is widely used in English literature -- as well as German, for what it is worth -- which makes sense, since Torshavn means Thor's harbor.

Secondly, Scandinavia is BOTH the name of the Norway/Sweden peninsula AND the cultural area of Norway, Sweden and Denmark. I.e., it is also often applied to Iceland, the Faroe Islands and Finland as well.

So what exactly is the mistake, or am I completely missing something (which would hardly be the first time)?

Yes...you have missed something. Reading the 'entire' first post.

The town they are visiting is in the Faroe Islands.....not on mainland Scandinavia as indicated by the map. The islands are between Iceland and Scotland (roughly).

Yes...you have missed something. Reading the 'entire' first post.

The town they are visiting is in the Faroe Islands.....not on mainland Scandinavia as indicated by the map. The islands are between Iceland and Scotland (roughly).

A mistake that can eaily happen. A South American cruise goes to Uguazzu falls which are inland by the border of Uruguay, Brazil and Argentina. I think they used the Crusietour map.:D

We cruise Princess too and look at its website for cruise destinations--every so often Avalon, Catalina Island shows up as a stop for a Caribbean cruise. I hadn't realized on a clear day I could see the Caribbean! Always thought it was the Pacific Ocean.

I was hoping to be stopping at the Faroe Islands which are between Scotland and Iceland and had no plans for an extra stop in South Scandanavia, thats what my issue is!!!

We Scots unfortunately know where the Faroe Islands are :(

That's kind of like my next itinerary, My Celebrity says one stop while searching provided a different one. Kind of makes booking excursions difficult if you can't get a clear answer about where you are going!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't it just a stones Faroe away?:D

LOL but there are some corners issues and the man in black did not help

(For those who do not know, Scotland's football team had a very humiliating experience when playing the national Faroe Islands team which is made up of part time footballers. As a result of this, Scotland were not troubled with the need to pack their bags to attend the Euro Football finals)

Solsticelandcrossing.png

Clearly the map writer forgot to add Sur Mer to the Ports name and google maps found him the wrong one.

Now I'll wager this was done in the US whose citizens are well known for having little idea about european geography.:D

A mistake that can eaily happen. A South American cruise goes to Uguazzu falls which are inland by the border of Uruguay, Brazil and Argentina. I think they used the Crusietour map.:D

Been to the Falls. It's humid enough to float small cruiseships!!

Clearly the map writer forgot to add Sur Mer to the Ports name and google maps found him the wrong one.

Now I'll wager this was done in the US whose citizens are well known for having little idea about european geography.:D

It has a lot to do with our location; here is over 650 miles from Amarillo, and I'm still in Texas! It's over 1600 miles to Canada, and most of it speaks English. New York is as close to England as it is to California.

I admire the Brits and envy your ability to jump on a train In Victoria Station (Hope I remember the station) and spend the night in a variety of countries.

Also, your beer is better than ours, and I loved the ciders.

Archived