NCL Itinerary to Port Canaveral/Orlando - What did you do?

roe2ship

When we were at the Port Carnaveral/Orlando port we took a tour, provided by NCL, to the Kennedy Space Center and it was one of the best tours we have taken. It is truly amazing and so much to see and learn. If you have a chance to do this tour - do it !!! You won't be disappointed.

This is the excursion we would like to do in Deceber. The Jewel arrives in Orlando/Port Canaveral around 12:00 noon. Is there a shuttle that is included in the excursion price that takes us to the Kennedy Space Center and then back to the ship?? Or do we have to fend for our own transporations?? And the ships excursion price includes all adminssions tickets right??

If I were to recommend a unique experience that can enhance a cruise vacation in the Orlando area...... Sea World's Discovery Cove offers a capacity limited (no crowds) experience that includes dolphin encounters and a meal that isn't the normal bland theme park fare. (reservations well in advance HIGHLY recommended)

If the times you're in port are from around 6am to 4 pm, bear in mind that you'll probably lose nearly 3 hours of that waiting on transfers, travel time, etc. (Disney or Universal would be the better part of an hour from Port Canaveral, Sea World only a little closer), Personally, at roughly $100 per person to get into the theme parks, I wouldn't. Go to a theme park when you can stay the whole day and get your money's worth.

The theme parks are best enjoyed off-season anyway. Smaller crowds, cooler temperatures, less chance of rain, and shorter lines. Many of us who live here in Central Fla don't even drive within 10 miles of the theme parks during summer if we have anything to say.

Personally, I'd opt for Kennedy Space Center. You'll spend less, have more time to spend, and not feel rushed while you're at it to get everything done.

As pointed out, Cocoa Beach is almost pointless. Especially when compared to the spectacular beaches cruisers are accustomed to at other ports of call. If it's just a beach you want, travel an hour or so north and hit up New Smyrna Beach (where Florida locals go) Still disappointing when compared to Caribbean beaches but, at least it's a beach and cleaner/nicer than Daytona Beach. I don't really know what to call that thing at Cocoa. LOL Although, Ron Jon's surf shop in Cocoa is a neat touristy-trinket shopping experience.

If theme park just has to be on the list, I always suggest Sea World. A little smaller (easier to get most of the park into a shortened day) and the crowds are usually nothing like Disney or Universal. Better shows as well. Sea World is where many locals buy annual passes vs. the other parks as a result. If you're after water, and aren't up to Discovery Cove's offerings, Sea World's Aquatica water park is a blast. I personally like the faster lazy river (Roa's Rapids) for some reason than the slower one.(Loggerhead Lane)

We did Cocoa Beach shuttle through NCL, but some people said you can get a taxi at the port for cheaper. The beach was fine - we rented chairs and umbrella from a stand - but the water was so filled with jellyfish that we didn't dare go in the ocean.

Tip for Harry Potter ride: At certain times, they open a Single Ride line, which is to the left when you enter (or as a ride attendant). This means that you just fill a seat when necessary and cuts your wait in line dramatically. True, you may not get to ride with the rest of your party, but the ride vehicles don't even allow you to see the person next to you, so not much of a loss in my mind. Saves a ton of time when it's available!

This is the excursion we would like to do in Deceber. The Jewel arrives in Orlando/Port Canaveral around 12:00 noon. Is there a shuttle that is included in the excursion price that takes us to the Kennedy Space Center and then back to the ship?? Or do we have to fend for our own transporations?? And the ships excursion price includes all adminssions tickets right??

If you buy it through NCL, it will take you there on a shuttle/bus and includes admissions. On the way back they just had buses in line and you could get on whichever one was there until it was full then the next would fill up. If you click on the "details" of the excursion it should give you some more info.

If you are going at noon, you'll want to go to the outer areas first at KSC as the buses that go out there stop running around 3pm IIRC. You also have to go through security at KSC so pack light.

If you buy it through NCL, it will take you there on a shuttle/bus and includes admissions. On the way back they just had buses in line and you could get on whichever one was there until it was full then the next would fill up. If you click on the "details" of the excursion it should give you some more info.

If you are going at noon, you'll want to go to the outer areas first at KSC as the buses that go out there stop running around 3pm IIRC. You also have to go through security at KSC so pack light.

Thank you:D....loving this board!

AND if I may add..we did this on our 1st cruise with this itinerary...and it was well run and easy....busses (lots of them!!!! it was popular) from ship and then KSC busses inside...

You stop at various spots..and contine on at your pace...(kind of "hop on hop off" inside the center)...

We are glad we did this tour....

It was a ship's excursion tour. I forget the price charged but it included the bus to and fro. - to the Space Center and the one we took ( it was at the conclusion of our cruise) dropped us off at the Airport - with our luggage - after our tour. It is a very interesting place to visit - much to see and learn. In fact the NCL tours take you closest to the launching pads - of any of the other tours that are given.

It was a ship's excursion tour. I forget the price charged but it included the bus to and fro. - to the Space Center and the one we took ( it was at the conclusion of our cruise) dropped us off at the Airport - with our luggage - after our tour. It is a very interesting place to visit - much to see and learn. In fact the NCL tours take you closest to the launching pads - of any of the other tours that are given.

Forgot to tell you that all the admission charges were included in the price of the tour.

This cruise stop, which we have done twice is yucky! They have a shuttle that includes walmart. Coco beach is an absolute dive, only saving grace is Ron johns. Lots of junk shops and the beach has nothing beautiful about it. Yes there is the space center. Yes, you can go to Disney: 1.5 hours there and then and 1.5 hours back. entry park fee $$$$ and if you are lucky you get on 3 or 4 rides with the amount of time you are there.

PortmCanaeral, in my opinion needs to be deleted from the cruise ships port stops. I hope this helps with your planning.

We are sailing on the Gem out of NY on July 13th. NCL isn't offering an excursion to the Kennedy Space Center. Is that because of the times we arrive and depart the port? It seem that all of the excursions to Disney, etc. are being offered.

Had to interject here: I live in Cocoa Beach & am an aerospace engineer @ NASA KSC.

As for the KSC tour, one can purchase an extra tour for the Vehicle Assembly Building, where an actual space shuttle orbiter may be seen & a tour of the Launch Control room, where we launched the shuttles.

Cocoa Beach? If you want to kayak w dolphins & manatees amongst uninhabited mangrove islands, it's beautiful. Most tourists are unaware of the "unspoiled" Florida. Or, go inland about 20 mins & take a fast-moving airboat ride to watch alligators...there are interesting things to do, it's just unfortunate that they aren't marketed appropriately.

Have fun & good luck for whichever option you choose. ;-)

Thousand Islands (uninhabited, mangrove islands of Cocoa Beach) are easily accessed 5 miles from the port. Google Cocoa Beach kayaking...they may even pickup/dropoff for cruise guests. You won't regret the experience. It's about 2 - 3 hrs & very gentle kayaking (no exp reqd). Or, go to Atlantic Seafood restaurant in Cocoa Beach (about 3 miles from port) to take an open-air pontoon boat ride around the lagoon to see dolphins, manatees, & a plethora of birds.

Had to interject here: I live in Cocoa Beach & am an aerospace engineer @ NASA KSC.

As for the KSC tour, one can purchase an extra tour for the Vehicle Assembly Building, where an actual space shuttle orbiter may be seen & a tour of the Launch Control room, where we launched the shuttles.

Cocoa Beach? If you want to kayak w dolphins & manatees amongst uninhabited mangrove islands, it's beautiful. Most tourists are unaware of the "unspoiled" Florida. Or, go inland about 20 mins & take a fast-moving airboat ride to watch alligators...there are interesting things to do, it's just unfortunate that they aren't marketed appropriately.

Have fun & good luck for whichever option you choose. ;-)

Do you have any names for the airboat rides - might try that the next time. Keep up the good work at KSC.

Maybe you could also elaborate on the times (and when the buses stop the outer tours) for KSC especially since the NCL trips either go to PC from 6a-4p or noon - 9pm which makes it tricky to take advantage of some of the excursions, especially KSC.

Hi, dexdd,

I'll checkout info wrt KSC tours tomorrow (when I return to work). I believe you may find your answers on the KSC Visitor Center's website.

When is your cruise? Space shuttle Atlantis is on-tap to be "rolled-over" to the Visitor's Center in Oct/Nov.

As for airboats, Lone Cabbage in Cocoa. I hear it does get a bit overrun w bikers on Sundays (the bar part only...they're typically not interested in boating). I haven't tried it, but if I recall, the serve gator tail on the menu @ the side restaurant.

As for airboats, Lone Cabbage in Cocoa. I hear it does get a bit overrun w bikers on Sundays (the bar part only...they're typically not interested in boating). I haven't tried it, but if I recall, the serve gator tail on the menu @ the side restaurant.

Thanks for the info. We won't be back until March 2014 and familiar with the KSC site. It is more for those who aren't familiar and might try to juggle the times in port and trying to do a KSC tour. We did it once as part of an NCL tour but the port times were like 8a - 6p so it was easy.

The other times we've done KSC we've gone before a DCL trip so that was pretty straight forward as well. Thanks for the airboat details.

We did the NCL airboat/Alligator Jungle excursion. The bus ride was nice and the tour guide was really informative. They took a little detour and drove us next to KSC.

The airboat ride was fantastic. The guides were great and they had opportunities to hold a baby alligator, see some rescue pets etc. Total airboat time was about 30 minutes.

Alligator Jungle was OK. It's pretty much a tourist trap. One redeeming point was a show where they bring out snakes, spiders etc to pass around. They do it all in a non threatening way and there's no pressure to participate if you're nervous. I am deathly afraid of spiders and snakes but still enjoyed it.

• 1 month later...
This cruise stop, which we have done twice is yucky! They have a shuttle that includes walmart. Coco beach is an absolute dive, only saving grace is Ron johns. Lots of junk shops and the beach has nothing beautiful about it. Yes there is the space center. Yes, you can go to Disney: 1.5 hours there and then and 1.5 hours back. entry park fee $$$$ and if you are lucky you get on 3 or 4 rides with the amount of time you are there.

PortmCanaeral, in my opinion needs to be deleted from the cruise ships port stops. I hope this helps with your planning.

Can you please tell me if there is a shuttle that goes directly to Walmart? And is there a shuttle that goes to the Merritt Square Shopping Centre? Those are really the only 2 places that my husband and I plan to go to while there on Oct 30th. We were hoping that there would be a shuttle bus to & from these places. If not, there should be taxis available right? Anyone know how much a taxi right would be?

Air boat ride was less than 30 min, stays near the road, not deep into glades, not worth the time or money. PC is the most boring Port I have been to. Coco beach is pretty lame beach but ok nothing like the gulf side of Fla, to short of time to do the parks right. The space center is good, but after doing it two times not going back.

Sure wish NCL would drop it and spend 2 days in GSC or at the Bahamas.

Can you please tell me if there is a shuttle that goes directly to Walmart? And is there a shuttle that goes to the Merritt Square Shopping Centre? Those are really the only 2 places that my husband and I plan to go to while there on Oct 30th. We were hoping that there would be a shuttle bus to & from these places. If not, there should be taxis available right? Anyone know how much a taxi right would be?

Jen the shuttle will drop you off there. When you get off the ship walk across the lot under the over the pass the shuttle is right there.

At first I wondered who the hell wants to Walmart on vacation, then I saw your from up north and know how much you can save. I would leave most of things I need and buy what you need there.

We're on Jewel 11/11/12 and we plan to take a shuttle or taxi to the Cocoa beach pier, have lunch at Fishlips or Grills to watch boats in the canal and do some geocaching. Then back to the ship for a massage or relax by the pool. Pretty inexpensive, but at least we got off the ship and did something. We're planning on Atlantis for the Nassau segment, so this is just part of the journey! :)

Katie

We are sailing on the Gem out of NY on July 13th. NCL isn't offering an excursion to the Kennedy Space Center. Is that because of the times we arrive and depart the port? It seem that all of the excursions to Disney, etc. are being offered.

I noticed this for our May 25 trip as well -- does anyone know if the KSC excursion is not offered due to the schedule in port, or if it's something they might add later? We're definitely NOT doing any of the theme parks, so I'm wondering if I need to be figuring out how to do the Space Center on our own?

There was some info posted earlier on this thread about KSC and someone from KSC responded. IMO having been there several times, getting there after noon isn't exactly the best since there is a lot to see. The ride is only about 1/2 hour but you have to go through security and then there are buses to the outer areas.

Those buses stop at 3:45 and the park closes at 5. KSC recommends 6-8 hours but it certainly can be done if you go at noon. They also have two IMAX movies to choose from plus the shuttle experience which is really cool.

If you probably won't get a chance in the future to see KSC, by all means go.

Archived