Train from Sydney Airport to Downtown

4774Papa

By comparison, train will be about $20 for 1 adult and child. A single train from airport to circular Quay. Total travel time will probably be fairly similar but slightly quicker by taxi as you save the last walk. (I'm averaging that queue time for taxi and wait time for train even out.)

• 2 weeks later...
If your hotel is Sydney Harbour Marriott or 4 Seasons they are within very easy walking distance. If you take a taxi to these be aware that some taxi drivers may refuse even though they are not permitted to do so. Yes we have them in Sydney too. BTW taxi's here are metered.

We will be sailing on April 24 from Sydney to Hawaii on Radiance of the sea as well, but I see you posted it leaving April 19.

We fly into domestic airport on a Sunday morning, for our Voyager cruise, are there plenty of Maxi Taxi's around to take us to opt. There will be 4-6 of us, so lots of luggage.

There will be plenty of standard cabs and a few wagons and Maxis. Depending on time of day you may have to wait however.

Its the start of your holiday so why not pre book a maxi.

This is what I have done in the past and when there is just the two of us we hire a Limo .... cost from airport to dock is $55...cab would have been $45...and its so nice to have a driver that is attentive and speaks English.

Perhaps you should google "pre Paid maxis" or just go to

http://www.adamsmaxitaxi.com.au/

They quote $111 which is about right

cheers

We will be sailing on April 24 from Sydney to Hawaii on Radiance of the sea as well, but I see you posted it leaving April 19.

I'm afraid that if you are sailing on Radiance then you will have missed the boat. Rhapsody departs April 24. Radiance departs April 19 2013

• 11 months later...

Just found this thread and wondering :

1) We are planning to stay at the City Hotel - any comments?

2) We are thinking of taking the train from the airport to our hotel, is this doable? and if so which train stop would we get off at to make the final walk to the hotel

Thanks!

I can't comment on the hotel as I'm not familiar with it other than location.

Using the train the easiest option depending on how much luggage, would be to get off at St James and walk across ( longer walk but faster option as you will be at the hotel before the train comes in at Town Hall, and has a lift/elevator) or go right around to Town Hall and exit via the Queen Victoria building if you If you have more than one case each, get a taxi. The train is not airport dedicated and getting you and getting more than 1 bag per person on can be a struggle both for space and time.

Edited by MrsWaldo

They have this information on their web site about the train:

http://www.cityhotelsydney.com.au/location.html

I'd suggest either Wynyard or Town Hall. If without luggage St James is fine, but I'd be less inclined with all the crossings and congestion you have going through the city with luggage.

Thanks Big M, we had figured out that Town Hall would be the best station since I posted my question but had missed this info on City Hotel website, so thanks for that!

Do you have an opinion on the hotel itself? It seemed to get reasonable reviews.

To be honest, I didn't even know that hotel. It only opened last year, and it's an independent one so not well known. I don't walk that area much.

The location is a good, convenient one so I think you'll be happy with its convenience and centrality. It's a decent area as well, fair traffic outside but no real negatives such as being dingy or crowded.

So as long as the reviews sound suitable and you're happy with the rates, I think it's worthwhile to try. :-)

as a heads up the fares on their web page are wrong

$15.90 from domestic and $16.70 from international

If you arrive early morning weekday or weekend before 11 St james is the way to go as Town Hall serves more lines and business people and can be very chaotic the shopping zone along market st is very quiet until that time.

There's a lift in QVB which will take you up to street level

If you are lloking for a good lunch spot I can recommend snappahead just up York st

To be honest, I didn't even know that hotel. It only opened last year, and it's an independent one so not well known. I don't walk that area much.

The location is a good, convenient one so I think you'll be happy with its convenience and centrality. It's a decent area as well, fair traffic outside but no real negatives such as being dingy or crowded.

So as long as the reviews sound suitable and you're happy with the rates, I think it's worthwhile to try. :-)

Thanks for all your input, very much appreciated. We got an amazing rate there compared to many hotels in Sydney so I am hoping that the place is clean, that's all I care about. We don't need space or fancy amenities, just a clean washroom and clean bed.

Thanks again :)

If you arrive early morning weekday or weekend before 11 St james is the way to go as Town Hall serves more lines and business people and can be very chaotic the shopping zone along market st is very quiet until that time.

If you are lloking for a good lunch spot I can recommend snappahead just up York st

Yes we were aware of the rate from international but thanks for the heads up. Thanks for the lunch recommendations -- much appreciated!

Hello,

Looking for further train information. We arrive from the USA in Sydney on a Tuesday morning and will spend the day in Sydney before taking the train to Katoomba for a one night stay in the Blue Mountains. Then we will return to Sydney late Wednesday afternoon for a night stay in Sydney and then take the train back to the Airport on Thursday morning for a flight to Cairns. Is there a hotel near the train station you would recommend for Wednesday night? Is there a special rail pass that would meet our local and regional needs over the 3 days in Sydney/Blue Mountains?

Thank you,

Katherine

Unless you plan to do a fair bit of travelling on the ferries, point to point tickets are probably the best bet.

It will be around $17 return (you need to buy 2 singles as return must be on the same day) for your mountains trip. Trolley bus in the mountains is $25 for the day.

I would look at any of the hotels around central. My favourite is actually Meriton Campbell.

Unless you plan to do a fair bit of travelling on the ferries, point to point tickets are probably the best bet.

It will be around $17 return (you need to buy 2 singles as return must be on the same day) for your mountains trip. Trolley bus in the mountains is $25 for the day.

I would look at any of the hotels around central. My favourite is actually Meriton Campbell.

Agree with the above. Some hotels near central are Mercure Broadway (also known as Mercure Central) on Lee St, has a good buffet breakfast and Rendesvouz Studio on Quay St. These are easily got to from the ramp leading back down to the left on the street side of Platform 1. Meriton on Campbell is also good value in the opposite direction heading a short distance uptown.

Hugh

Mrs. Waldo,

You seem so well versed in getting around Sydney!! In February,our plane arrives post-cruise from Perth @ 10:15 PM. Wondering what the best transport to our hotel (Marriott Circular Quay) will be at that hour. Have checked the schedules and it appears the trains stop at 10pm. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Anne

Mrs. Waldo,

You seem so well versed in getting around Sydney!! In February,our plane arrives post-cruise from Perth @ 10:15 PM. Wondering what the best transport to our hotel (Marriott Circular Quay) will be at that hour. Have checked the schedules and it appears the trains stop at 10pm. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Anne

The trains run til around midnight, so there should be no issue if you wish to take the train (especially as curfew means a flight would not be arriving later than that).

However, assuming there are two of you, and later at night, it's probably about $15-20 extra for a taxi so you may prefer to use that instead of waiting for a train to not drag the day out any further.

I'd use a taxi too,

but just as a heads up if you decide to use the train,

check there is no trackwork happening or you may find yourself with an unexpected change...

http://www.sydneytrains.info/service_updates/trackwork/

Thanks so much for your advice. Hadn't thought about track/train repairs. Do you feel it safe to travel via that mode that late at night, or would the taxi be "safer?"

I'm not familiar with that as an apartment/hotel. However, assuming you mean in Sydney city, yes, you could head down to Circular Quay station which would be a nice 5-10 minute walk. You then catch the train straight to the airport (international or domestic as they have separate stations).

We will b staying at the Brighton 38 Bridge street. Would we abe able to take the train to the airport to catch a flight. If so how long is the ride and where would we get on and off. Many thanks.

Took me awhile to work out where you are staying. From your other posts I now see you had the name wrong. You seem to be staying at The Bridgeport Apartments in Bridge St.

Don't know anything about it apart from what is on Tripadvisor but I do know where it is. location is good, near bus interchange and Circular Quay train station (5mins). You could easily walk to ship if you are departing from the OPT.

Australian stock exchange nearby and Sydney Museum on the sight of the first Governors residence just 5 mins walk up the street. Very easy access to George and Pitt streets - 2 of the main downtown streets.

Others may know about the Apartments. If the price is right then go for it.

Hugh

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Two of us. Tolerably savvy & mobile.

After exploring the coast & countryside for 8 days, we'll be dropping off a rented car at Sydney Int Airport, then we (and our luggage) are planning to go to White Bay terminal (for Princess) by train then a taxi hop.

No idea what time that'll be, but we have to be at the ship by mid-afternoon.

Town Hall station appears to be closest.

Would you (or others) recommend Museum, or St James, in preference to Town Hall?

Thanks

JB :)