Embarkation tips?

momto2js

We are doing our first family cruise next week. Generally we are get there early before the rush traveling types but I am not sure that is the best stratagy for boarding the ship. We have 3 and 5 year old boys and waiting isn't their favorite thing.

Leaving from Port Canaveral, should we try to be ready to go right at noon or have lunch and arrive a little later? What kinds of things have you used to entertain the kids while you are waiting? Can one parent walk around with them while the other one takes care of the paperwork or do we all need to be together?

I am split about taking a stroller but it would help keep my 3 year old contained if we have to wait a while.

You don't have to be joined at the hip to board....the one paying can do the paperwork, although they will need all of your ID's! Don't go to far, or they can't identify you!

I would try to get there around 11:30....you can't predict when crowds will form. After boarding, go get lunch...the buffet will be up and running!

Yes...bring a stroller! There is ALOT of walking on a ship, and in ports....you may not use it constantly, but if you don't have it, you'll wish you did!

It's not really a long process....similar to checking into a hotel. Bring a small toy for the kids, if you think they'll get too antsy.

My plan is to have lunch then get there. That way no waiting at windjammer either.

I have a 20mo and a 3yo on this trip. We are leaving port canaveral on the 16th.

I think this is the best plan. In addition, by going a bit later your cabin will be ready so you won't need to haul all your carry on stuff plus a stroller through the crowded buffet.

You can always find a couple chairs by the pool on embarkation day. Bring their swimsuits and if they are hungry get a burger by the pool. Or if it isn't next to the pool- one adult can hunt them down some lunch while the kids have the pools to themselves for a very short while. Then go to the cabin later.

The problem with boarding late- is everyone and their mother will be at the buffet. Then you have to get ready for the dreaded lifeboat drill.

So I say hang out by the pool, check out the youth program and then go to the drill.

You don't have to be joined at the hip to board....the one paying can do the paperwork, although they will need all of your ID's! Don't go to far, or they can't identify you!

You didn't say which cruise line you are on, but when we sailed out of Canveral in March on Royal Caribbean, all of the people had to be at the check-in counter since that is where they were taking the pictures for the Sign and Sail card. This use to be done else where, but at least when we cruised, the pictures were part of the check-in.

As to when to arrive, we always arrive later in the afternoon (after 2:00 pm) since the crowds have thinned out, you can usually walk right through check-in without waiting and you can get access immediate access to your cabin. Avoids the crowds, and avoids rushing around early in the morning to get to the ship.

We are always the first onboard. We get there by 10:30 and that means there is a *little* bit of waiting. The ships usually start to board between 11:00 and 11:30 so I would get there at that time. Right after that time - we always look outside - closer to the "actual recommended boarding time" and the traffic looks crazy. So the earlier the better!

Our first cruise was out of Port Canaveral with our boys when they were 3 and 5 yrs. what we did was get there as early as we could, it ended up being around 11:30 am and the lines were long. We took turns walking around with the boys while the other waited in line. People seemed to understand that we weren't trying to cut in or anything, just keep our guys moving :). Once inside the lines were ok, one of us filled out the flu/norm screen cards, then we all went to the boarding area together since everyone has to get their photo taken. After that there is a fair bit of space to walk around and you can look at the outside of the ship, which is neat!

We are not stroller fans, but did find our Ergo carrier to be very helpful for embarkation.

Paperwork doesn't take long at all. Waiting your turn for the paperwork is what takes the time, and whatever the system, there'll be a way to take the kids for a walk if there are two adults. (If it's a coloured or numbered card system, there'd be a way to take the kids for a walk with only 1 adult.)

And I just read the part about the stroller - YES - if your 3 year old will sit in a stroller then by all means bring one! I used to joke that if my youngest (up to age 6) would sit in one then I would still bring one. Heck - she is 8 now and if I could get her to sit in ONE place I would ;)

When my son was 4 we went to Epcot and my son asked if we could rent one of the strollers (they must have looked cool to him). My husband was like-that' ridiculous, he should walk.

Well I had the best day in Epcot with that stroller- he hopped out when we went to the various exhibits and countries but in between it was smooth sailing- no whining- no carry me, no worries about him being lost in the crowd. It was great.

I'm a fan of the stroller too!

Archived