Taking wine on board

janeer

Hi

I am aware that we can legally carry 2 bottles of wine on embarkation, does this need to be in carry on or can it go in the case? If it goes in the case, how would they know if we also had 2 in our carry ons???

We travel on the Eclipse on Saturday, these are the final important details!!

Jane

Hi

I am aware that we can legally carry 2 bottles of wine on embarkation, does this need to be in carry on or can it go in the case? If it goes in the case, how would they know if we also had 2 in our carry ons???

Jane

They wouldn't. ;)

It is best to put it in the carry on; bottles placed in checked baggage may be identified during the screening process as containing possible contraband and be held by security. If your checked luggage were to be flagged, it would not be delivered to your stateroom and you would be asked to report to a designated area to open the luggage in front of security and for them to check for contraband.

Hi

Jane

They also wouldn't know if you had two bottles in each carry on if you don't get on board together.

Just a thought...we are on a "Wine Cruise" what if I want to bring back say two cases of quality wine...how will I/they deal with that?

Regards

ANDREW

My guess is that they will store it for you rather than letting you take it to your cabin.

Janeer:not sure if you've already left for your trip, but we took our 2 bottles in our check-in luggage. Due to travel restrictions on the quantity of liquids allowed in our carryons (50ml/item), we would have had the bottles confiscated at the airport. The luggage was delivered to our cabin without a problem. Have a wonderful time.

Hi

Jane

Hi Hun weren't you on our meet and mingle on the 16th of June this year ? Were doing the eclipse on your return so let me know how it goes as soon as please !!! We are wondering if we can get two bigger bottles on as our bar bill was £2000 !!! Also will you check that celebrity haven't took the beringer off the classic package as the Indy did xx

On the wine cruises you are allowed to take back 2 bottles onboard at each port. If you want more it needs to be shipped. There are notes about this in the wine cruise information section (uk).

We considered doing that cruise but I could not find any such statement on the US site. Perhaps,it's there and I missed it. If its not there, the us marketing staff is asleep at the switch...again.

We considered doing that cruise but I could not find any such statement on the US site. Perhaps,it's there and I missed it. If its not there, the us marketing staff is asleep at the switch...again.

Host Andy posted the information a while back, which is information he got from Celebrity

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1562042&highlight=wine

But the catch seems to be that you have to purchase the wine while on a Celebrity Sponsored Tour. I can understand their financial reasoning, but stinks that they are trying to hold us hostage to taking their tours, if we want to enjoy the wine we purchase while on a Wine Focused Cruise! Especially for those of us flying into the UK who cannot easy take wine home with it.

Just found this on the Celebrity Site:

Does Celebrity charge a corkage fee?

No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. Guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of the cruise may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00. The only exception to this policy is on our "Wine Cruises," which depart on the following dates:

Celebrity Century: 9/25/12

Celebrity Constellation: 9/07/12 – 11/18/12

Celebrity Millennium: 9/25/12

On the sail dates above, guests who book a company sponsored winery tours are permitted to bring 2 bottles of wine from the winery per stateroom onboard on the day of the tour. When consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle will be subject to a $25 corkage fee.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/footer/faqResults.do?faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=505&faqSubjectId=59

Thanks....I missed that on their site...but it differs from the uk statement in their brochure which doesn't mention that you have to be on a celebrity tour. At the least it's confusing...and obviously they can't have two policies.

We carry two wine bottles, in bubble wrap double zip bags in each of our checked bags. When we get to the airport of our final destination we transfer each pack to our personal carry-on and therefore get through airport security without a problem and through separate Clebrity check-in and get the four bottles into our room for personal comsumption.

So far so good!!!:)

I have purchased reusable "wine diapers" from Amazon to use when I put the wine in my suitcase. (Have not been called to the "naughty room") . They are a resealable bubble wrap sleeve that has an absorbant diaper-like material inside that can absorb the contents of the bottle if it should break.

Once again a booze thread with multiple posts which encourage people to try to cheat the cruiselines by breaking the rules. My business if you're dishonest? It ultimately results in higher prices for the rest of us:(

The strange thing is that on some cruise lines like P&O there are no restrictions on what or how much you bring on (including spirits like whiskey and gin) and yet the bar prices are the cheap as a local pub at home. They even allow you to bring on wine and spirits from individual ports for cabin consumption.

Celebrity's drinks prices are so expensive in comparison and they limit what you can bring onboard. Celebrity is in fact more expensive for their services (excursions, shuttles and tips). Don't get me wrong I absolutely love Celebrity but they certainly take advantage of their captive audience whilst we are on board. ;)

"The wines you will discover are so exceptional that one taste might not be enough. So should you want to take some home, each vineyard is more than happy to ship your purchases direct to your home. You are also able to take up to 2 bottles back on board with you, from each destination"

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/destinations/food-and-wine-cruises/wine-tours.aspx

This is a direct quote from the website but it is in the context of Celebrity tours, as we are doing the ships wine tours I did not think to add this before. This information has been available on the UK website for a while.

Archived