Carry on for 12 night cruise?

sr5242

My question is "why would you want to"?
Quite simply, for ease, comfort, convenience and functionality.

We dislike schlepping all those unnecessary bags, wasting our time packing and unpacking them, putting all that stuff away, then repacking and needing to do it all again.

Been there; done that; have no desire to do it any longer.

Also hate needing to deal with unpacking all those suitcases and putting everything away after we return home.

As jdvmd says, it is liberating not to be burdened with all that stuff.

We refuse to waste any of our valuable, limited vacation time doing laundry so we make good use of the ship's magic laundry genie and always have fresh, clean clothing to wear. We do not feel deprived in the slightest.

Just leave the dirty clothing in a laundry bag on the bed, and presto, it miraculously reappears clean and ready to wear the next day.

But we are not fashionistas and do not care what Joan Rivers would say. If she would be upset by seeing me wear the same clothing again that I wore earlier in the week, well, I guess she would just have to suffer or cover her eyes. ;)

I am certainly not claiming that what works for us is necessarily what anyone else should do. As agabbymama says, You have to do what is comfortable and works FOR YOU!

Quite simply, for ease, comfort, convenience and functionality.

We dislike schlepping all those unnecessary bags, wasting our time packing and unpacking them, putting all that stuff away, then repacking and needing to do it all again.

Been there; done that; have no desire to do it any longer.

Also hate needing to deal with unpacking all those suitcases and putting everything away after we return home.

As jdvmd says, it is liberating not to be burdened with all that stuff.

We refuse to waste any of our valuable, limited vacation time doing laundry so we make good use of the ship's magic laundry genie and always have fresh, clean clothing to wear. We do not feel deprived in the slightest.

Just leave the dirty clothing in a laundry bag on the bed, and presto, it miraculously reappears clean and ready to wear the next day.

But we are not fashionistas and do not care what Joan Rivers would say. If she would be upset by seeing me wear the same clothing again that I wore earlier in the week, well, I guess she would just have to suffer or cover her eyes. ;)

I am certainly not claiming that what works for us is necessarily what anyone else should do. As agabbymama says, You have to do what is comfortable and works FOR YOU!

fleckle, 1 large suitcase on wheels and 1 carry-on that fits over the handle of the large suitcase is pretty darn easy to wheel around the airport and transport on a bus or train. And plenty of room in the ship's cabin for them too.

I don't unpack, everything except formal stuff, stays in the suitcase, either at hotels or on the ship. The only thing I do remove is the toiletry bag and that goes in the restroom.

We did 1 load of underwear and 1 load of clothes (putting hers and mine together) at a cost of $4.00 versus $25 for the ship's laundry. And we did repeat the pants with a different top a few times. So we aren't fashionistas either.

Pretty easy for 1 old lady to handle her own luggage. My husband doesn't usually travel with me, so I had to find what worked best for me. My first trip I didn't even have a carry-on, my bag was lost, lived in what I had on for 3 days until my suitcase caught up to us. I tried 3 smaller suitcases when I went to Hungary on my own, and it was quite hilarious seeing me try to get all 3 bags on the train by myself. I also tried a large duffel on wheels with no carry-on, ended up with tendonitis in the elbow and never could hoist that thing onto the train (fortunately there were always some young fellows willing to help an old lady). In my 30 years of travel, I've tried it all. I really like the new spinner luggage that is available now. Being able to wheel that carry-on down the aisle of the aircraft in front of you is wonderful!

Happy travels to you!

It's 1 now for the status-less on cheap tickets on most airlines. 2nd bag doesn't come cheap either.

Yep, I just checked too and most are 1 checked bag at 50 lbs and 1 carry-on plus 1 personal item. So my 28" suitcase with my 19" carry-on still works. Thanks for the info.

Well, for me, one of the great things about cruising (especially if I don't have to fly) is being able to bring whatever I need -- knowing that I'll only have to unpack/pack one time. It makes much more sense for me to limit my luggage if I'm traveling by air or train -- or changing hotels multiple times. :cool:

We get free one checked bag, so that's what we usually bring, plus small carryon. I'd only do the carryon only if we were going to be doing a lot of train/bus travel where lifting bags around was a problem. I can lift my #50 lb. bag, but it's not easy. Usually people do help. And wheeling a huge bag around, plus carryon, is harder, at least for me, than one lighter case.

Other scenario for carryon only was traveling with 7 grandkids; everyone had to be able to handle their own bags and it was too much bother to check anything.

The only time I'd consider taking more than one checked bag would be a very long cruise, like a world cruise. I know we could wash and rewear things, but I think I'd just get tired of the same clothes and would want a little more variety.

Archived