P & O BIG PRICE INCREASES - Oriana -Caribbean

Slow Foxtrot

Just as a matter of interest the P & O brochure price 2012 (1st edition) for the 35 night Oriana cruise to the Caribbean/USA in February gives the price of the cheapest outside cabin (LC grade) at £3199.

The best price today from P & O - same grade but with no choice of cabin number is over £5000. P & O say this is 'due to the popularity of the cruise'.

We all know that Oriana is a popular ship, but that's a hell of an increase!

Seems they can offer discounts on Ventura, Azura and the rest. There's a lesson here somewhere.

That seems one big increase.

I have only been on her once but she has a huge following. One of our table companions had five more cruises booked on her.

More experienced cruisers may have much better reasons than I have but wonder if it is because of her loyal followers and she books fast.

I have only been on her once but she has a huge following. One of our table companions had five more cruises booked on her.

More experienced cruisers may have much better reasons than I have but wonder if it is because of her loyal followers and she books fast.

We did half the World Cruise on her earlier this year and have been cruising on Oriana most years since 1995. The dance floor and dance bands attract us, but almost everything about Oriana suits us fine. She's certainly a worthy successor to Canberra. It's a pity her popularity puts the price up!!!!

We did the same itinerary on Oceana in January this year and when we booked 18 months prior to sailing we only had a choice of 3 outside cabins !! It is a fabulous itinerary and sold out very quickly and the price never came down as low as the price we paid....I suspect the same thing is happening with Oriana it's not the ship that is dictating the price it is the itinerary!! (In my opinion of course!!) :)

We did the same itinerary on Oceana in January this year and when we booked 18 months prior to sailing we only had a choice of 3 outside cabins !! It is a fabulous itinerary and sold out very quickly and the price never came down as low as the price we paid....I suspect the same thing is happening with Oriana it's not the ship that is dictating the price it is the itinerary!! (In my opinion of course!!) :)

This itinerary is amazing and always very popular and I agree with jenny wren that it is not the fact it is on Oriana that is the important thing. It is unique with the USA included as well and that means P&O can name their price when it gets closer to departure and some people will be prepared to pay. It's different to the Caribbean cruises on Ventura and Azura as there are numerous of these throughout the Winter.

We met lots of people last year who had booked again for this year. We had no choice of cabin when we booked 16 months before it and had to take a higher grade than we really wanted. However we did meet someone who booked only a few days before sailing as they had contacted P&O at the end of December and managed to get a cancellation - or that's what P&O said. .

• 2 weeks later...

We booked this cruise when it went on sale in April 2011. We have monitored it since then & the balcony cabins & suites sold out within a few months. The few outside & inside cabins that were left have been rising in price for months (as they diminish in availability). The last available outside cabin was sold about a week ago & it went for almost the same price we paid for a balcony cabin!

As mentioned by others, the itinerary was what sold it to us, followed by the ship (we haven't tried Oriana before). As this is a special holiday for us (hubby reaches 65 & is retiring & we have just celebrated our Silver Wedding Anniversary) we booked it straight away to make sure we got the cabin & the price we wanted. I am so glad we were quick off the mark now! If any cabins become available when the final payment is due I'm pretty sure they won't drop in price because demand is outstripping supply.

Hi Jenny Wren,

We are really looking forward to revisiting some old haunts & visiting some new ones. We are in Madeira on hubby's birthday & we loved it when we used to visit several years ago. We have already done tea at Reids so we will just find a nice restaurant to have our favourite lunch of Espada with Banana followed by dessert of Custard Apple & a good port to finish!

We haven't done the Caribbean islands before (nearest we have been is the Bahamas) but we have spent many holidays in different parts of Florida & we look forward to meeting up with some Floridian friends when we are in Port Canveral & New Orleans. Can't wait, Angie

I'm almost getting excited for you!! We met up with some English friends who now live on Grand Cayman so they were able to show us around away from the other tourists.....we had only been to Caribbean islands before so the whole USA bit was new to us and we were very pleasantly surprised....we would like to do this itinerary again when funds allow..perhaps P & O ought to do it more often as it sold out on our cruise and I think probably will on this one...then perhaps the price might come down a bit!! :)

Just as a matter of interest the P & O brochure price 2012 (1st edition) for the 35 night Oriana cruise to the Caribbean/USA in February gives the price of the cheapest outside cabin (LC grade) at £3199.

The best price today from P & O - same grade but with no choice of cabin number is over £5000. P & O say this is 'due to the popularity of the cruise'.

We all know that Oriana is a popular ship, but that's a hell of an increase!

Seems they can offer discounts on Ventura, Azura and the rest. There's a lesson here somewhere.

I have been tracking the price and it went up to £10300 for a few days, lc guaranteed.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=&date=10-17-2012&text=&ship=Oriana

We are Suzanne, as you already know from the P & O Forum!!! It would be good if we can find any new passengers on here to join our group!

Pugwash - wow I didn't know it had gone to those dizzying heights. Surely it was a typo on their part? Who on earth would pay that much?

Angie

We are Suzanne, as you already know from the P & O Forum!!! It would be good if we can find any new passengers on here to join our group!

Pugwash - wow I didn't know it had gone to those dizzying heights. Surely it was a typo on their part? Who on earth would pay that much?

Angie

If Iremember it was 5 then 10 for a day or more then 5 then back to 10 and after a day or 2 back to 5, so no typo, P&O playing with prices.

With the new pricing structure I am monitoring how prices will change as we book getaway prices and do ok, not really bother where we go with the choices available.

Hi Pugwash

Until now we have had to book as soon as the cruises go on sale as hubby works in a school & we are stuck to school hols. However he retires in February so we are looking forward to being able to watch out for good deals & going short notice. He is also arranging to be a guest speaker on cruise ships so hopefully we won't have to pay full whack for a cruise ever again!!!

Angie

Well Angie, you look like you are going to win all hands up, but dont count your chickens

On Aurora in April I discussed accommodation with a guest Speaker, and it is crew quarters, not the cabins than we book by choice, their accommodation was OK, eat in the self service resturant.

The freedom to pack and go is nice but we have late booked due to seeing cruises that really appeal.

I would like to book literally last minute but the fact we now live in Norfolk does not make that easy, I do say to the Lady that does (most of) the packing to have everything ready to go, but the occasion has not happened, yet.

I am monitoring, or should I say I have a web site doing it for me, the first two Oriana cruises, Caribbean and Canaries for next year to see what changes happen and when with the new pricing policy, we will not be on either, but I fear that this policy may mean we cannot afford to cruise, unless as this year some consultancy comes my way, other wise its limited income and limited spending. (Must stop this I will be feeling sorry for myself)

To end I wish I could think of something to be a guest speaker on board.

Have a great retirement whatever, enjoy while you can.

Pugwash

countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=&date=10-17-2012&text=&ship=Oriana

countdown.pl?image=Beach-2&name=&date=4-12-2012&text=&ship=Aurora

Hi Pugwash,

Yes I know that P & O speakers get the crew cabins - fortunately most other cruise lines provide passenger cabins. Hubby has already been offered a speakers presentation post on a 15 day cruise with a smaller cruise line & they have offered really good accomodation & several other perks that make it very appealing! As for being a guest speaker - I don't know what your background is but it's amazing how many different subjects are presented to the cruise lines - from occupational experience to hobbies etc! You don't have to have a qualification in a subject to be considered - just a passion for it & an interesting delivery to the audience!

I am also monitoring cruises - for later next year as we already have other trips lined up including 3 weeks in France in the school summer hols with our daughter, son-in-law & 2 grandaughters. We are also taking my parents to a cottage in Northumberland in June - we love that part of the world & spend one or two weeks a year up there to escape the hustle & bustle of our home city.

Don't despair about your next cruise - you never know how low the prices might come down!

Angie

Archived