Please don't diss me...Smokeless ashtrays??

pepsicruiser

I don't smoke...never did...never will !!!

But my grown son does and he will be in a veranda category room. I was thinking of getting him one of those smokeless ashtrays I saw advertised. Does anyone have any experience with them? I'd appreciate some help.

And "no he isn't about to quit" sorry.

You mean for in the cabin or on the veranda?

Smoking isn't allowed in the cabin even with a smokeless ashtray.

And unless he's exhaling the smoke directly into the ashtray, it's not going to really make a difference on the veranda. If he wants to be courteous he'd go to a designated smoking area on deck for his smoke breaks.

So if he smokes on his veranda he's not being courteous?!?!

There's been a lot of discussion about how smoking on the verandah though allowed, can be very annoying to those using their own verandahs downwind.

I did mean the veranda naturally. But alas no one answered the question about the "smokeless ashtray". Maybe I'll hear from someone later on who has used one. I hate smoke myself but you can only do so much to dissuade others from smoking.

In my experience, they're only "smokless" as long as the cigarette stays in the ashtray. It doesn't cut down on the smoke that "escapes" when the smoker takes the cigarette of the the ashtray and actually smokes (and exhales) it.

:)

I am not a smoker, and cigarette smoke doesn't really bother me. What does bother me is the noise from the annoying little fans in the "smokeless" ashtrays. The smoke will come and go, but the noise from the fan is almost as relentless as non-smokers complaining about smoke.

The open air balcony, speed of the ship, as well as sea breeze DOES dissipate smoke very rapidly. I have never encountered seeing my cigar smoke just hanging in the air like it does indoors.

The open air balcony, speed of the ship, as well as sea breeze DOES dissipate smoke very rapidly. I have never encountered seeing my cigar smoke just hanging in the air like it does indoors.

Nothing personal towards you but cigar and pipe tobacco should not be allowed on balconies, the sooner all the cruise lines wake up about this the better it will be. You may deeply enjoy your cigar but I bet you a million dollars those around you are not.

As I say nothing personal but to a non smoker it just stinks. Picture the scene out on the balcony having lunch and a nice glass of wine or just out there reading a book, or stargazing and someone sparks up a cigar, delightful!!!!

Not wanting to see this turn into another smoking v non smoking thread but it is never quite as simple as the smoke dissipating.

While the intent of "smokeless ashtray" is a good one, I agree that it will be ineffective in keeping all the secondhand smoke off of downwind balconies. And as for a cigar, that is the item that causes the most issues with nearby cabins. The "residue" they put out is much more noticable than that of a cigarette. To assume no one around the cabin of a cigar smoker is impacted when one of those is lit up is simply denial.

I think a major concern with smoking in staterooms and on balconies is the potential for a fire to start. I can't remember the line but on one a while back, someone had been smoking on their balcony and a spark, ember or whatever flew back into the room when or due to the balcony door being opened. It started a fire which spread to a few other staterooms and I think the ship had to go back to port. That being said then there's the whole smoking issue in general. While I see the smokeless ashtray as an attempt at being "courteous", I think the designated smoking area should be sought out by any and all wishing to smoke and the further away from me and my stateroom it is, the happier I am.

I think a major concern with smoking in staterooms and on balconies is the potential for a fire to start. I can't remember the line but on one a while back, someone had been smoking on their balcony and a spark, ember or whatever flew back into the room when or due to the balcony door being opened. It started a fire which spread to a few other staterooms and I think the ship had to go back to port. That being said then there's the whole smoking issue in general. While I see the smokeless ashtray as an attempt at being "courteous", I think the designated smoking area should be sought out by any and all wishing to smoke and the further away from me and my stateroom it is, the happier I am.

It was more than a few other staterooms. The ship was the Star Princess and the damage was to dozens of staterooms and their contents. One passenger died as a result of the fire.

star-princess-fire.jpg

If ever there was an advert for no smoking!

Yes, that careless act by a smoker not only caused one death, but resulted in damages to the ship and subsequent litigation by injured passengers that ended costing Carnival (the owner of Princess) over 40 million dollars.

And the investigators (from the Marine Accident Investigation Branch of the UK Maritime Administration) who inspected the damage concluded it was caused by a cigarette someone on a balcony had tossed over the railing. And their final report stated the smoker who did that almost certainly knew that they were responsible.

Of course, that miserable, pathetic excuse for a human being has never come forward.

Archived