Art on Royal

Julesben

It's been 13 weeks since we boarded the beautiful Independence of the Seas for the third time this year.

During the 3rd June we decided to go and check out the art auction. We spent almost $10.000 on several pieces, two of them were delivered 2 weeks ago with one of them being returned twice due to damaged framework.

The majority of the work is still to arrive with us as we approach the 14th week, to make matters worse we've been looking at our purchases online, guess what, we've found them cheaper.

The delay in receiving our paid for goods pales into insignificance when you suddenly find the same thing costs less elsewhere.

We won't be wasting anymore money on RCCL's Art On Royal program.

Oh, that's not good. I'm sorry.

Could you tell where we can find some of the same items online, so we can do an online research before we board the ship?

We will do that for you, my wife found the prices, I'll forward details soon.

It was our first time of purchasing art on a cruise, nice art but unfortunately it's had it's downsides.

Cheers

I do not agree. I love art and was initially wary but I found the selection on the Oasis this past March surprisingly good. There were pieces at all price points, and I bought a Britto that I first researched online while on the ship and got a good deal, especially because of the framing. The owners of the gallery were very nice to deal with as well. Art is very personal- but if concerned re price, just to do research before you bid. And remember, many of their pieces include the frames.

Whether you're buying jewelry or art or something else, a cruise probably isn't the place to make a "big" (i.e., expensive) purchase unless you are VERY knowledgeable about what you're buying.

Commodity items, such as watches and perfume are ok b/c it's very easy to figure out what the item would cost in the US.

I almost bought man-made pearls last cruise. I checked on the Internet and found I could get them cheaper so passed. And this was a $100 purchase.

I would definitely spend the $$ to check the Internet while on board before you make an expensive purchase. There may be some good deals on art or diamonds or . . . whatever, but if you don't know what you're buying you don't know whether or not you're getting a good deal or getting ripped off.

Edited by ggo85

Whether you're buying jewelry or art or something else, a cruise probably isn't the place to make a "big" (i.e., expensive) purchase unless you are VERY knowledgeable about what you're buying.

Commodity items, such as watches and perfume are ok b/c it's very easy to figure out what the item would cost in the US.

I almost bought man-made pearls last cruise. I checked on the Internet and found I could get them cheaper so passed. And this was a $100 purchase.

I would definitely spend the $$ to check the Internet while on board before you make an expensive purchase. There may be some good deals on art or diamonds or . . . whatever, but if you don't know what you're buying you don't know whether or not you're getting a good deal or getting ripped off.

Thank you for the advice, I think it's fair to say that we've learnt our lesson here.:cool:

Oh, that's not good. I'm sorry.

Could you tell where we can find some of the same items online, so we can do an online research before we board the ship?

FYI Johnx7,

Please check out the link below.

We purchased the wine glass figures of Chris Derubeis, looks very nice art from what I can remember anyway. I'm sure we'll be very happy when it finally arrives, just not too pleased with paying more for it then we should have.

It happens, but once bitten as the saying goes, it is however no worse then finding out the couple in the next stateroom paid a whole lot less then what you did for the same setup.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise, and as one or two others have said on here "do the research first" :cool:

http://www.villagegallery.com/viewthumbnails.asp?Artist=Chris+DeRubeis

I feel bad for you, but I would NEVER purchase art on a cruise ship! BTW, I realize that RCL got rid of Park West Galleries, but nonetheless, this is not the best way to purchase art; maybe the worst!

We've definitely learnt our lesson regarding Art and Cruise Ships Loubetti.

Regards

• 1 year later...

Wow, You seem to be a little out of luck. Im sorry you are having a bad experience but I recently purchased 2 paintings and had no problems. I must tell you though that a banana at the airport is going to be more expensive than a banana at the grocery store. Moreover, the art that is purchased online is not necessarily authenticated and may very well be a fake...But I must say that there is a premium worth paying for actually attending the art auctions meeting the artists and seeing a painting that is tangible as oppose to seeing it on a screen. i hope you get your paintings soon and you should enjoyem..

Wow, You seem to be a little out of luck. Im sorry you are having a bad experience but I recently purchased 2 paintings and had no problems. I must tell you though that a banana at the airport is going to be more expensive than a banana at the grocery store. Moreover, the art that is purchased online is not necessarily authenticated and may very well be a fake...But I must say that there is a premium worth paying for actually attending the art auctions meeting the artists and seeing a painting that is tangible as oppose to seeing it on a screen. i hope you get your paintings soon and you should enjoyem..

you are totally on point ginmink...I recntly got screwed over with a fake I purchased on ebay.....and i for one never had an issue with art on royal. But i do not necessarily agree with you about their prices. art is an expensive hobby. and I find their prices considerably reasonable. I would definitly buy again from art on royal.

• 2 months later...
I do not agree. I love art and was initially wary but I found the selection on the Oasis this past March surprisingly good. There were pieces at all price points, and I bought a Britto that I first researched online while on the ship and got a good deal, especially because of the framing. The owners of the gallery were very nice to deal with as well. Art is very personal- but if concerned re price, just to do research before you bid. And remember, many of their pieces include the frames.

I agree. I have bought art quite a few times on different cruises and have consistently found really good deals on them. I research the pieces I'm interested in before I buy them and have always been very happy with the quality and price of the items I've purchased.

As far as the delay in getting the art shipped, I've only had that happen to me twice and it wasn't delayed by that much either time. I hope (and expect) that you'll be getting your art shortly (if you haven't already).

I agree. I have bought art quite a few times on different cruises and have consistently found really good deals on them. I research the pieces I'm interested in before I buy them and have always been very happy with the quality and price of the items I've purchased.

As far as the delay in getting the art shipped, I've only had that happen to me twice and it wasn't delayed by that much either time. I hope (and expect) that you'll be getting your art shortly (if you haven't already).

Just so you know but you answered a post that was written on September 1, 2012. Early in 2013 Art on Royal was replaced with Park West Galleries on all RCI ships.

Art on royal was still going strong in August of this year, this was on Adventure of the Seas.

I should know, against my better judgement She who should be obeyed purchased a piece and we are still awaiting delivery :(

Usual bull###t from them being held by customs etc etc.

They have numerous complaints about their delivery times , and Royal are well aware of this.

Giving them another week or two then its in for a refund, a shame really because it was a really nice piece of art and after research found it was a good price,

FYI Johnx7,

Please check out the link below.

We purchased the wine glass figures of Chris Derubeis, looks very nice art from what I can remember anyway. I'm sure we'll be very happy when it finally arrives, just not too pleased with paying more for it then we should have.

It happens, but once bitten as the saying goes, it is however no worse then finding out the couple in the next stateroom paid a whole lot less then what you did for the same setup.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise, and as one or two others have said on here "do the research first" :cool:

http://www.villagegallery.com/viewthumbnails.asp?Artist=Chris+DeRubeis

We also bought a DeRubeis wine glass figures on board after checking out prices in Vegas and got a good deal on board. Have you been to Chris DeRubeis website? Below is found on his website. We currently do not allow any gallery to portray DeRubeis art work on their own websites, So you can't look online to check prices you need to go to his galleries. Royal Caribbean is listed as an approved gallery for his pieces.

GALLERY LOCATIONS

DeRubeis only creates originals and all prices are standard in each gallery he is located.

Please purchase from the Gallery you viewed his artwork in as they paid for the rent for you to view and no other location can offer any other deal than the gallery you viewed his works.

We currently do not allow any gallery to portray DeRubeis artwork on their own websites.

Below are a list of current Locations authorized to sell DeRubeis Artwork. If you did not see it in these cities it was not an authorized dealer.

• 5 years later...

I know this post is old, but if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the Derubeis? We fell in love with his work after seeing it on a cruise but have not purchased. We will be going on a cruise next month and were thinking about buying one on board. 

I've bought my fair share of art on cruise ships, but only because I liked the art.  I've found many of the same lithographs on Ebay for much less $ (even the ones I purchased on cruises over the last 10-15 years).   No matter what the auctioneers infer, it isn't an investment -- they carefully won't promise that it will go up in value LOL.  Anyone considering buying art onboard might want to read Ship for Brains by Brian David Bruns, the author of Cruise Ship Confidential.  In Cruise Ship Confidential, he writes about being an American working as an Asst Waiter/Waiter on a cruise ship.   Ship for Brains is his next book and reports on his experiences as an onboard art auctioner, after he used his art degree to apply for a higher paying shipboard position with Park West.