Amtrak Superliner

rlkubi

I was just called and my trip has changed in couple of weeks. We had booked business class seats but they are repairing the train and replacing with a Superliner. How does this compare to the other train?

Hi! If you go to the AMTRAK website, they have diagrams of the Superliner and all the other types of cars

Are you talking Seattle to Vancouver?

The Superliner is standard Amtrak coach car. It has airline coach size seats, but more than first class leg room. It is quiet comfortable.

Superliner coach seats are considerably larger than airline coach seats and recline further even than first class airline seats (except international). They are much more similar to first class seats than coach seats.

Superliners are much taller than Talgos, which the Cascades normally run, and the windows are larger. You will get a better view out of the Superliners (assuming you are on the upper level, where the majority of the seating is). Seating is 2 + 2, while the Cascades business class is 2 + 1. You should be getting a refund on your business class surcharge, as there is no business class when they run Superliners. You have much more legroom in Superliners than in the Talgos, even in business class.

You will likely have a Superliner Sightseer Lounge car, which has very large windows that wrap up the curve of the ceiling.

Superliners are very different from Talgos, but very nice. This is the equipment used on all the western long distance Amtrak trains, and is built with the comfort of people who will be on the train 2 or 3 days in mind.

I would prefer a Superliner, for reasons already mentioned--big comfy seats (definitely bigger than anything in airline coach!), and better views because you're up high.

But there's one thing nobody has mentioned: you have to climb a very steep, narrow, tight staircase to get up to most of the seats. My knees don't do stairs well at all anymore, so that staircase would kill me. You also have to go downstairs again to get to the restrooms, or between cars (like to the dining car). They do have lower-level seating for disabled passengers, but you'd have to ask for it.

So unless you have trouble with stairs, it's a good thing--but if you do, tell them you need lower-level seats.

actually the only access between cars on the superliners is on the upper level...so if you want to get something to eat you have to climb the steps...

You're right--thanks! It's been a few years since I rode one. If you're disabled, the train attendants will bring you meals, because you can't get to the dining car or the lounge.

One correction to my post above. It appears that the cafe service when the morning up/evening down Seattle-Vancouver train goes Superliner, will be "Diner-Lounge" car instead of a Sightseer Lounge. This car has dining car seating in about 2/3 of the car, and a bar for lounge/cafe service at one end with a couple of tables. It doesn't have the big windows of a Sightseer lounge car.

Despite the fact it is a "Diner-Lounge" they will not be offering dining service, just the normal cafe service, and the dining car seats will be open to any passengers who want to hang out there.

You're right--thanks! It's been a few years since I rode one. If you're disabled, the train attendants will bring you meals, because you can't get to the dining car or the lounge.

In addition to the meal delivered to you, the attendants will take you to the lounge car at one of the longer station stops if requested (or they are supposed to). Of course you'd be stuck until they take you back at another station stop, and you'd only be able to access the lower level of the lounge, too.

there are no station stops of any length between Seattle and Vancouver. On long haul train the attendants may bring you foof but in this run its highly unlikely. Your better to bring food with you if its a problem. There is a McD at Vancouver and also a Tim Hortons close by.

there are no station stops of any length between Seattle and Vancouver. On long haul train the attendants may bring you foof but in this run its highly unlikely. Your better to bring food with you if its a problem. There is a McD at Vancouver and also a Tim Hortons close by.

The part about hauling you to another car at a station stop, that might not work on this route. But bringing you food would be required by the ADA--it's not an option if food available to other passengers. They don't have to wait for a station stop to do it--the attendants can go between cars, it's only someone who can't climb stairs who's unable to do that.

The part about hauling you to another car at a station stop, that might not work on this route. But bringing you food would be required by the ADA--it's not an option if food available to other passengers. They don't have to wait for a station stop to do it--the attendants can go between cars, it's only someone who can't climb stairs who's unable to do that.

All true. I was talking about Superliners generally, not their use in Cascade service. Even without the long station stops, there aren't any coach or sleeper attendants to do it on the Cascades. Superliners are generally used on long distance trains where there are both attendants and long station stops. Further, unlike the Sightseer lounge, the diner lounge doesn't have a passenger area on the lower level. As a former dining car, the entire lower level is the galley (which will go unused on this run).

On this run, the lack of attendants would make at seat service problematic, too, ADA or no ADA. The operating crew (conductors and assistant conductors) can't really do it, they are concerned with the safe operation of the train. There is only one lead service attendant manning the counter. There is kind of an onboard service chief on this train that most trains don't have that might be able to do it. But I really would not count on it. That means someone would have the grounds to bring suit under the ADA, but it wouldn't change anything onboard at the time.

They will have cafe/lounge counter service, just not sit-down dining service. The Cascades usually have full pre-prepared meals (they just heat them)available on this train, like a breakfast quiche. They also have the regular national cafe service menu with offerings like the "breakfast sandwich" (aka, the "Am-McMuffin"). They usually have some fruit available for sale.

Archived