Which cruise for a family reunion?

genegri

Coming out of the long weekend I am tasked with organizing a family reunion between 2013 fall to 2014 spring time frame. Well, my family is too polite and keeps saying whatever I decide will be the best but I know better. ;) Now most of the family lives in the Northeast; NCL is a versatile line many of us have cruised with and loved; Breakaway is the spanking new ship. So ship wise no contest, Breakaway it is!

I have narrowed it down to a short list:

1.) 10/6/2013 Bermuda - last Bermuda cruise of the year

Pro:

- A full week of time together.

- We have relatives live Bermuda and they can attend the reunion without flying. Very neat.

Con:

- For those who work, it takes 5 vacation days.

2.) 12/22/2013 Bahamas - Christmas cruise

Pro:

- Will have the perfect decorations and atmosphere for a family reunion.

- Christmas week is easy on vacation days.

Con:

- Many prefer to save this time of the year for immediate family gatherings and other plans.

3.) 1/31/2014 - 2 night CTN

Pro:

- Some of the family are already booked on the 12-day South Caribbean right before (1/19/2014) so they can easily add the 2-day CTN to make it a B2B. Very neat.

- For the rest of us, it takes no vacation time.

Con:

- Too short.

So given the circumstances I have to work with, which one would you choose?

TIA!!! :)

Bermuda (or I would have said a trans-atlantic repo) only because you have the sea days in which to do stuff together (if you want to). Then in Bermuda you can go off and do your own thing and meet up again for dinner or something on board.

It is early enough so that everyone should be able to get the week off from work. CTN is waaaay too short, and probably not a good time as it will be full of people cramming a cruise into 2 days. The Christmas one will be really expensive, and also very full as it is a popular time to cruise.

Have fun planning! :D;)

I vote Bermuda. I think it's cool that you have family in Bermuda that you can all visit and plus, I think when talking vacation, most people expect to take 5 days off anyway.

I didn't vote Christmas because pricese tend to rise around that time and it may be difficult for family members to pay the inflated prices AND get gifts for the holiday.

The CTN is too short, in my opinion.

Another vote for Bermuda.

The Cruise to Nowhere is just too short.

Christmas - We like to be home.

Any particular reason why you were looking at the 10/6 sailing of the Breakaway? Could you do a different sailing like Labor Day so that those who are working could use one less vacation day?

Assuming that your family really enjoys being around each other. Bermuda for a week. It's enough time to catch up with each other and have a real vacation.

If you think that you might wind up playing referee, than the shortest option seems best.

As for the winter holiday choice, I think that you might not have as many people show up as you'd hope depending on plans that they might have in the works already.

Whatever you choose have a great time! :)

Another vote for bermuda. We actually did a family group cruise to Bermuda, and those who weren't fans of NCL to start with ended up agreeing it was the best choice for our group. We had 8 cabins so we got the group rate, a private cocktail party and a group picture. We did group activities but still had time to do things on our own. While any number of us dined together, we never tried to dine completely together all at the same time. We know our limitations! :D

Keep in mind another consideration for the holiday time slot, ships usually sail at capacity and have more kids on board which could interfere with your planned activities.

I've never sailed a cruise to nowhere, but hear it's a bit frantic and intense as people try to do everything they would on a longer cruise. So not only is it too short but it would be too loud and intense for an enjoyable reunion.

Another for Bermuda

• Serveral Days at Sea so those on the ship can get together.
  • When you get to the island the members that live there can join in, more people more fun.
  • 2 full days on the island, plenty of places to get together.

OP here and many many thanks for your opinions!

Wow! I didn't expect it to be so unanimous Bermuda! To answer the question why that particular week, well, it does not have to be. But many folks already have plans for next spring and summer (vacations, exchange summer programs aboard, having babies, :D etc) and I want to avoid the peak hurricane month of September, especially since the attraction of this Bermuda option is my great aunt and uncle live in Bermuda, so we really hope to actually get there. ;) Last year my dad and I cruised with RCI to Bermuda to visit them in early October and we had perfect weather. But of course I know there is no guarantee.

Selfishly I was hoping for CTN as it won't take any vacation days which is my own biggest concern. :p But you guys are right, it's just too short. I still like to keep it as a backup because it is so easy with little risk involved. But again with New England winter weather one just never know.

Holiday week is not a front runner at this point.

I just have to maul it over some more or come up with other options. Really don't want to give up Breakaway though.

• 2 months later...
Another vote for bermuda. We actually did a family group cruise to Bermuda, and those who weren't fans of NCL to start with ended up agreeing it was the best choice for our group. We had 8 cabins so we got the group rate, a private cocktail party and a group picture. We did group activities but still had time to do things on our own. While any number of us dined together, we never tried to dine completely together all at the same time. We know our limitations! :D

Keep in mind another consideration for the holiday time slot, ships usually sail at capacity and have more kids on board which could interfere with your planned activities.

I've never sailed a cruise to nowhere, but hear it's a bit frantic and intense as people try to do everything they would on a longer cruise. So not only is it too short but it would be too loud and intense for an enjoyable reunion.

Hi, what is the group rate discount for 8 cabins. I'm planning an extended family vacation and have 8 cabins. Thanks!!!!

Hi, what is the group rate discount for 8 cabins. I'm planning an extended family vacation and have 8 cabins. Thanks!!!!

Depends on the line but usually if you have eight cabins with two people each, the 16th person goes free, meaning the cruise rate is free but they still have to pay port taxes, government fees etc. A lot of times the group will just take the free berth (that's what it is called) and spread the savings among ALL who are traveling.

I have narrowed it down to a short list:

1.) 10/6/2013 Bermuda - last Bermuda cruise of the year

Pro:

- A full week of time together.

- We have relatives live Bermuda and they can attend the reunion without flying. Very neat.

Con:

- For those who work, it takes 5 vacation days.

It seems to me the trip with the least negatives is the Breakaway to Bermuda! Several sea days, a permanent base when you arrive, what could be better?

Archived