Sleeping on the balcony?

jarz85

Add me to the list of accidental balcony sleepers. On our Aug 23rd cruise, we were sailing out of Newport RI. We had one of the aft facing RFS on the Enchantment. The temperature was cool (not cold) and we had a slight breeze. After watching the bridge slip out of sight, I dozed off on the lounge chair. Next thing I knew my DD was finding me at 1am:eek: asleep - bad mom points to me for nodding off. Had she not have awakened me I would have slept out there all night.

I've pulled the mattress on to the balcony. Wasn't for sleep though.

Just so you know.... most ships have several cameras along the side of the ship so can watch all of the balconies. I'm sure the crew will be entertained while they watch you "sleep"

I once slept on a balcony during our Adriatic cruise, but not because I wanted to. My boyfriend was snorring so bad that I just could not fall asleep, so I decided to go and sleep on a balcony. First I tried to make myself comfortable on a lounger, but that didnt really work out too good. Then I just lied down on a balcony floor with some towels etc. under me (I didnt have any mattress or anything similar with me - I was not planning to sleep on a balcony). That was quite OK, just very humid and warm. But.. then it started to rain, so I ended up going back in room. That was not one of my best nights on a cruise. The next day my boyfriend felt so sorry and guilty for his snorring that he let me to drag him around Dubrovnik as long as I want to and let me to buy anything I want to :)

Just so you know.... most ships have several cameras along the side of the ship so can watch all of the balconies. I'm sure the crew will be entertained while they watch you "sleep"

Unless the cameras have night vision (which is entirely possible) they didn't see anything. It was pitch black out.

And, if they did, good for them!

Come to think of it, maybe that's what all of those dollar bills outside of my cabin door the next morning were for...

Unless the cameras have night vision (which is entirely possible) they didn't see anything. It was pitch black out.

And, if they did, good for them!

Come to think of it, maybe that's what all of those dollar bills outside of my cabin door the next morning were for...

It's not 'illegal' to do that naughty stuff on your balcony is it? I mean it's your balcony... I wonder if they have an archive of stuff they have secretly recorded!

It's not 'illegal' to do that naughty stuff on your balcony is it? I mean it's your balcony... I wonder if they have an archive of stuff they have secretly recorded!

I've seen those cameras and most of the time, with few exceptions, they can't see above the railing or beyond 1ft deep into the balcony. Now yours is a strange question seeing that your traveling with your Mom and Aunt :p But you were just curious right?

We have a room booked on the Allue next year that has a big balcony. Is it possible to take the rollaway bed out there and sleep on it overnight? Is this safe? Will I get eaten by bugs!? Has anyone slept on their balcony before? If so I'd love to hear your story! Thanks!

We've slept on the balcony a couple of times and other times it was so hot that within an hour we were running :p, not walking, for that air condition stateroom.

You're in international waters... Cruise companies are notoriously hands-off when it comes to legal matters. Just look at how many reported crimes aboard cruise ships go without investigation or prosecution because the cruise lines do not want negative press.

A little activity on the balcony in the dark at night is the least of their worries.

I was reading out on the balcony on Brilliance mid afternoon. The neighbors on the balcony next door started yelling "Help! Help!" "Can anyone hear us?"

After a minute or so I stuck my head around the divider and asked, "Is there a problem?'

They explained that they had been napping out on the balcony in the loungers when the room steward apparently came in to do the cabin. He had locked the balcony door and they were unable to get back in their cabin.

I asked if they wanted me to call security for them. And she said, "Yes...oh wait...he has his seapass card in his shorts pocket".

So I went around and let them in. It might have been more alarming if this had been a port day, when there aren't as many people around.

He wasn't a very good room steward on that cruise. I would like to think that most of them check for passengers on the balcony before they lock the door. :)

This thread has been an inspiration to me.

I have now added sleeping on the balcony on my next cruise 'to do' list.

Can't believe I've never even thought about it before..........silly me.

Now just need to decide if I'll use the lounge chair or haul a mattress out there.

This thread has been an inspiration to me.

I have now added sleeping on the balcony on my next cruise 'to do' list.

Can't believe I've never even thought about it before..........silly me.

Now just need to decide if I'll use the lounge chair or haul a mattress out there.

Im going to slide the loungers together and put a mattress on top!!

While there are cautionary tales about falling overboard, being hosed down in the early morning, being kidnapped, etc., I ignored 'em all and slept on the balcony. It was like a primal urge - maybe genetic, since my dad was a sailor who loved to sleep on deck? Anyway, my DDs thought I was very angry with my DH, and my DH thought the girls had driven me outdoors! :eek:

Nope - just silly me checking one more thing off the bucket list. OS on Mariner - used a lounger & duvet. Go for it! It was awesome! :D

Did you have a suite that had a lounger on the balcony? If not, how did you get the lounger? I would love to do this :-)

Just hope no one above and ahead throws a ciggie off that blows back onto you. I was reading a book on the balcony my first Oasis cruise and a lit cigarette butt landed next to my foot

Oh great, now i have to add "getting set on fire" to the list of reasons not to do it lol :rolleyes:

Archived