Jewel hits power line in Faroe Islands

Motorman23

I sure hope they had the ship exactly where the charts/harbor master/ or even pilot directed it to be, at least that would give the captain some breathing room. Since the Jewel had been there before without problems, I wonder what was different this time. Somewhere in my stuff I have the air draft for the Radiance of 173' and the ship/graph on nautical cities seems to in somewhat agreement with that figure for the Jewel. Could the cable clearance been changed somehow? Oh well, I hope it all can be explained without someone left to twist in the wind.

Assuming the ship was on the appropriate course, this could be a tide issue. Also, I would expect that the cable was properly identified with the orange marker "balls" that are typically attached to such hazards to navigation. It makes them much easier to see.

ball.jpg

As an aviator we look for this, as we move much faster and, well, here's an example of what can happen, and in aviation the results are usually fatal to all on board.

http://www.aviationlawmonitor.com/2010/03/articles/lawsuits-1/lawsuit-filed-bell-206b-helicopter-fish-and-game-crash-at-auberry-california/

Assuming the ship was on the appropriate course, this could be a tide issue.

/

I looked up the tidal range for the Faroe Islands, (of course I could not find the tide for Klaksvik, don't know if it would substantially different) and the range was generally less than a foot. I don't know what they would normally allow for a safety margin, when going under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge it really looks close. In reality it is not all that close, the clearance is somewhere around 10-12 feet. I have not been able to find out the stated navigational clearance for that cable is going to Klaksvik. Maybe more info will trickle out.

I sure hope they had the ship exactly where the charts/harbor master/ or even pilot directed it to be, at least that would give the captain some breathing room. Since the Jewel had been there before without problems, I wonder what was different this time. Somewhere in my stuff I have the air draft for the Radiance of 173' and the ship/graph on nautical cities seems to in somewhat agreement with that figure for the Jewel. Could the cable clearance been changed somehow? Oh well, I hope it all can be explained without someone left to twist in the wind.

We were on the Jewel in 2010 when it snagged a 2' diameter 1000' long pipe going into Columbia. It had broke free while being towed and was sitting just under the waterline. That crash stop at around 5 am was an attention getter.

Obviously yesterday's incident is another case of something being where it wasn't supposed to be. Time will tell whether it was the wire or the ship.

I remember the pipe incident now that you mentioned it, just did not recall it was with the Jewel. After further reading, I read that there are no licensed pilots in the Faroe Islands so that means the master is really on the blame line. Let's hope he was where he should have been at the time of the "encounter."

Brilliance of the Seas is due there on Tuesday, I believe.

I wonder how this will effect their approach?

Has the overhead line been damaged or stretched?

Is it hanging lower now after being hit?

I was supposed to be on this sailing so my curiosity is getting the best of me :o

• 1 year later...