Air con on Nieuw Amsterdam

firstcarib

I realise as Brits we are far more used to central heating than AirCon, but did anyone else feel the a/c on board Nieuw Amsterdam recently was set too high?We tried to turn it down,but it seems it's centrally controlled. We could raise or lower the temperature just a little, but we found it noisy & intrusive, & not always needed at night. Ok we really appreciated it on days when temperatures reached 40 plus...Athens springs to mind, but ended up wedging our balcony door open, just to ease the atmosphere in the room:eek:

Also I fell prey to the dreaded a/c bug..streaming nose & sore dry throat that many on board seemed to have. Is it just too difficult to have cabin controlled AirCon on a ship?

Maybe it was a problem with the thermostat in your cabin. Did you ask to have it checked by maintenance?

We sailed Nieuw Amsterdam for two weeks over Thanksgiving last year and didn't have any issue with our cabin air conditioning.

Sorry you caught cold and were uncomfortable. Hopefully you had a good cruise despite.

but ended up wedging our balcony door open, just to ease the atmosphere in the room.

By doing that you negatively impacted all of your neighbors in your a/c zone, particularly those in any inside cabins, by letting whatever cool air there was take the path of least resistance out your door instead of going to their rooms. In fact, some of your problem of getting cool air could have come from your neighbors wedging their door open.

We had no problem with our a/c for the 12 days we were on the Nieuw A.

Yes. My snuffles are almost gone & the cruise was great. Don't think it wa s really a thermostat problem, we could adjust the temperature a little. I just wanted to turn down the "volume!!" so it didn't blast out the air so much, so noisily. We did get used to it, but I'm pleased to be back home in UK where in summer we just use the free fresh air. Saying that...we will still carry on travelling the world & cruising too!:o I think this is what's known as a "First World Issue"...complaining about too much aircon!

By doing that you negatively impacted all of your neighbors in your a/c zone, particularly those in any inside cabins, by letting whatever cool air there was take the path of least resistance out your door instead of going to their rooms. In fact, some of your problem of getting cool air could have come from your neighbors wedging their door open.

There you go, it was clearly your fault. :rolleyes:

You should try the Veendam for your next cruise. Apparently the AC doesn't work at all on that ship. Seems to me, you chose the wrong ship.

Please note: This is my sarcasm font.

It wasn't my intention to impact any negativity at all...for anyone. It was just our room was often TOO COOL...TOO NOISY...TOO MUCH A/C....not any FRESH AIR! The sea air is good for you! Air con isnt..it spreads germs...cough /splutter. To Anyone in an inside cabin ...I apologise most profusely for any negativity:eek:

Hello again Jane

I couldn't agree more :eek: - I mentionned this in my review of our cruise in the roll-call forum but it was a massive issue for us (inside cabin). Not so much the temperature but the noise. It was far too loud and we were alerted and worried about this from the minute we stepped into our cabin as we embarked (done 3 inside cabins previosuly so knew this was abnormal)- we notified immediately but they never came. They kept telling us it was "at 25% completion stage" and the lady behind the desk apparetly went in to check for herself, who agreed it was loud, but the engineer didn't arrive until 24 hours later and it took seconds to fix. It was bliss after that.

The aircon above our table in the MDR was particularly cold - even so that just after we sat down for our first meal in there our waiter mentionned this - but by then it was our second night on board and half an hour earlier the engineer finally showed his face to fix our problem so I was still euphoric and relieved about that and decided I would just put up with it - anything, anywhere else was better than the noise level we had to endure the night before in the cabin, Craig my hub simply did not sleep.

But yes agreed it wasn't great.

Best wishes

Claire

Hello Jane - agree entirely. We were on the same cruise and the a/c in our ocean view cabin was very fierce. It was very difficult to get a decent balance and very small adjustments on the thermostat moved the temperature from polar to tropical, with nothing in between. Also agree that the a/c was very noisy. Public rooms were also too cold for our liking and like many others came down with the streaming nose, sore throat and dry cough symptoms after day eight.

We sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam last November in the Caribbean and didn't experience any of he above problems.

I must agree. I was on the August 12th from Barcelona to Venice and the A/C in the cabin was certainly fierce - even when turned down. As well, the vents were located directly over the bed. I came home with a case of bronchitis which I am still trying to get over. It seemed to be a common issue with people that I spoke with.

There you go, it was clearly your fault. :rolleyes:

You should try the Veendam for your next cruise. Apparently the AC doesn't work at all on that ship. Seems to me, you chose the wrong ship.

Please note: This is my sarcasm font.

Sure would be nice if you wouldn't give attitude to every poster that you don't agree with. Having an open balcony door can cause problems with the a/c. I'm guessing that you are a person that would have your balcony wide open:rolleyes:.

Yes. My snuffles are almost gone & the cruise was great. Don't think it wa s really a thermostat problem, we could adjust the temperature a little. I just wanted to turn down the "volume!!" so it didn't blast out the air so much, so noisily.
We fully or partially block off the air vent in such situations, at hotels as well as on ships, if the staff does nothing about it when notified.

If we need to cope with one extreme or another, I would rather have too much a/c than not enough because it is easy to block if it is too cold.

Well, I guess "easy" may not be the right word in situations where it requires standing on a chair to cover an air vent on the ceiling, although it is still feasible. ;)

But there is not much we can do about it when there is not enough cool air and the cabin gets too hot.

Not much can be done about the noise though, so that is one reason why we always have earplugs with us. They work well to block out noisy neighbors too.

Sure would be nice if you wouldn't give attitude to every poster that you don't agree with. Having an open balcony door can cause problems with the a/c. I'm guessing that you are a person that would have your balcony wide open:rolleyes:.

Please could you take this opportunity to read the other posts on this subject! There seems to have been a problem on board this cruise with the a/c. If you were not on this cruise it is a tad unreasonable of you to make comments re. me causing others negativity by leaving our door open . Of course we fully realise this was not the best solution, but if we were uncomfortable due to noisy cold AirCon in our suite, & there was the beautiful Aegean sea outside our balcony, what should we have done! We elected to open the door....fresh sea air! Yes, possibly we could have summoned maintenance...& waiting 24 hours like the OP?...but we had already adjusted the temperature...we needed just to be able to turn the stuff OFF! We spent time sitting outside, with the door closed! but did need to venture back in to the noisy chilly cabin to get dressed for dinner!

Perhaps if enough passengers comment, this will filter back to HAL who may realise we were not in Dubai & we did not need to be in a permanent state of frozen artificially cool air. However, let's not get too hung up on this...it's a minor issue really..we enjoyed most everything else:p

We fully or partially block off the air vent in such situations, at hotels as well as on ships, if the staff does nothing about it when notified.

If we need to cope with one extreme or another, I would rather have too much a/c than not enough because it is easy to block if it is too cold.

Well, I guess "easy" may not be the right word in situations where it requires standing on a chair to cover an air vent on the ceiling, although it is still feasible. ;)

But there is not much we can do about it when there is not enough cool air and the cabin gets too hot.

Not much can be done about the noise though, so that is one reason why we always have earplugs with us. They work well to block out noisy neighbors too.

How do you block the air vents?

With cardboard?

Plastic?

Doesn't that make noise?

I would think the air forcing against the cardboard or plastic would make a horrid noise, No?

Please could you take this opportunity to read the other posts on this subject! There seems to have been a problem on board this cruise with the a/c. If you were not on this cruise it is a tad unreasonable of you to make comments re. me causing others negativity by leaving our door open. <snip>

lorekauf was commenting on jaguarstyper's post that she quoted in her post, not a comment directed at you.

I guess this topic just reaffirms that old adage "different strokes for different folks.". We were also on this Nieuw Amsterdam cruise and loved the a/c system. The high volume air produced

a wonderful white noise that drowned out the really annoying noises such as toilets flushing and People talking in the passageways. I will agree that the degree of temp control was somewhat limited but nothing that the duvets couldn't handle when the chill set in. My bedmate had to put on some extra pjs at night but a sheet was all I needed. You can always deal with too much cool bit you can't do much with too much heat, so I have no complaints with Nieuw Amsterdam a/c.

Although we didn't seem to have a noise problem with the A/C as you did firstcarib we found the control offered a room either too hot or too cold. Also some of the public areas on the ship were quite cool sometimes and the LIDO dinning room was really overheated one evening. And we have never had a cabin with so much vibration on any HAL ship. Loved the cruise, the awesome crew, (they try so hard in spite of Seattle's cutbacks) and our 24 day itinerary. But found that the ship could use a few days of drydock to address some issues. (Carpets wearing, handrails wearing, and airflow issues.)

I guess you missed the last line of my post.

I realise as Brits we are far more used to central heating than AirCon, but did anyone else feel the a/c on board Nieuw Amsterdam recently was set too high?We tried to turn it down,but it seems it's centrally controlled. We could raise or lower the temperature just a little, but we found it noisy & intrusive, & not always needed at night. Ok we really appreciated it on days when temperatures reached 40 plus...Athens springs to mind, but ended up wedging our balcony door open, just to ease the atmosphere in the room:eek:

Also I fell prey to the dreaded a/c bug..streaming nose & sore dry throat that many on board seemed to have. Is it just too difficult to have cabin controlled AirCon on a ship?

There were 4 of us in an inside on the Nieuw Amsterdam for 24 days in July. We were all quite comfortable and found the A/C easy to adjust. Although I could hear the A/C blowing, I did not find it an obtrusive sound.

As I remember there is a switch on the thermostat that turns it off.

Or, I also turned up the heat so that it canceled out the AC damper. After 28 days in the cabin we thus had no health issues. by using these methods

Because the cabin has no windows or other means of vent there is a postive pressure than needs to be maintained

Or, I also turned up the heat so that it canceled out the AC damper. After 28 days in the cabin we thus had no health issues. by using these methods

Because the cabin has no windows or other means of vent there is a postive pressure than needs to be maintained

You can not turn it off although many maintain they do it when they leave their balcony door open. When I've asked how they've done it no one can answer. I have never seen an off/on switch on Princess or Celebrity either.

If there had been a switch we would have found it!! there was not!!

We could adjust the temperature a bit..but not turn it down or off. That was the start of my "issue"... we had to have the a/c on all day & all night whether we wanted it or not!!:eek: so we sat on the balcony in the lovely fresh sea air! But we both couldn't fit out there at night to sleep!!!:D

Archived