Humor me here...Miami car rental question

jimbug

I think I know what I want to do, but I just need someone who isn't going insane from reviewing options to tell me which option is best. :D

Background info:

We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale the day before the cruise. We have hotel reservations that night in Miami. Cruise leaves from Port of Miami. We are transporting a toddler (still in a car seat). We definitely want a car for the day we arrive, at the very least, because we will need to go to the store for diapers, etc., and will want the freedom of being able to come and go at our leisure that day. We would be renting a car seat, so taxis aren't really an option with the kiddo. Our hotel offers a shuttle to the port for $11/person. Oh, and we are cruising with a group of 16 people, though each individual family is pretty much responsible for making their own way to the port.

Option #1:

Car rental from Fox Rent a Car in FLL for $37.50 total, inclusive of all taxes and fees. Car would have to be returned to MIA either late the night we arrive, or before 7 a.m. the next day to avoid an extra day's charge. Could take hotel shuttle back to hotel after dropping the car at the airport. Would take shuttle to the port the next day for $11/pp ($33 total).

Option #2:

Car rental from Alamo for $160 total (rent in FLL; return at MIA). Can keep the car until we are ready to board the ship and take Alamo's shuttle from MIA to PoM upon returning the car. Would be able to save two additional adult members of our party $$ by letting them ride along with us and take the Alamo shuttle.

Which would you pick, and why? I need some outside influence, please! :)

I would point you to the cheaper option for sure - $160? :eek: There must be a better option that that price!

Have you included the parking charges your Miami hotel may hit you with? :confused: You might consider staying closer to FLL the night you fly in, then drop the car at MIA the next day and shuttle to POM. Good luck! :)

I would point you to the cheaper option for sure - $160? :eek: There must be a better option that that price!

Have you included the parking charges your Miami hotel may hit you with? :confused: You might consider staying closer to FLL the night you fly in, then drop the car at MIA the next day and shuttle to POM. Good luck! :)

Thanks for the input. Hotel room is already a "for sure", as the rest of our party is staying there, and it was booked with FF miles, so we're locked in. We have already factored in the parking cost ($15), but this is there whether we choose Option #1 or Option #2.

Did you look at other rental companies such as Avis and Hertz.

Years ago I went with a no name company in Florida. I would avoid it. They can tack on many fees that they don't tell you up front and charge you for damage that you did not cause.

Keith

I just did a quick search for a compact car w/toddler seat included for your dates picking up at FLL and dropping off the next day at 1:00 p.m. at MIA.

$71.69 all in (except added insurance) from Fox Rent-a-car.

I'd definitely do the rental car, but $169.00 is a really high price.

If you can get a lower rate with a national car rental company, I would go for option 2. No hassles, start your cruise in a relaxed way. Especially with a toddler in tow.

Have you tried Budget, with the discount codes mentioned here on CC?

I don't believe you mentioned when you were going, but if it's a ways out then there is a good chance the rates will drop as you get closer, unless you are travelling at a peak time. I would reserve one (or both) options now, but keep watching the rates.

When your date gets close you can bid on Priceline - they will allow you to bid on a one way rental airport to airport. I'm certain you could beat the Alamo rate and you might even beat the Fox rate. You don't know which company you'll get, but it will be a major one and your odds are good they will have a free port shuttle. When I did it I got a full size from Alamo for leas than $30.

I had a horrible experience with Fox so that is a NO for me. :mad:

And $160 for Alamo would be another NO for me. :eek:

I would go with Budget and return the car to their downtown office (1.6 miles from port). Looking at $50 for a 24 hour rental if picking up at FLL. You could drop spouse, kiddo and luggage at port, return car and taxi it back the 1.6 miles and still come out WAY cheaper than $160.

I used code Y937800 and double upgrade code UUWZ027. No memberships or coupons required.

Good luck.

Archived