Acadia National Park Tours or Oli's Trolley in Bar Harbor

amazinglife

Just an FYI on using the Island Explorer (free bus), the route that most tourists would be interested in is route #4, the Park Loop Rd. This route does not start at the Bar Harbor Village Green or have Bar Harbor on its route. The starting point is the Hull's Cove Visitor Center which is about 10 minutes from the BHVG.

To get to HCVC, you will have to take either a route #1 or route #5 IE bus from the BHVG. This was new for 2013; maybe in 2014, it will be changed back.

Here is the route #4 (Park Loop Rd) map:

Route4.jpg

BTW, this is the only Island Explorer route that does not start and end at the Bar Harbor Village Green.

SBtS

Connecting to the #4 loop bus:

It is much more time saving to take #3 loop bus (green on map) that departs from Bar Harbor Village Green and do a quick, easy transfer to the #4 loop bus (yellow on map). Take the #3 loop bus and transfer to the loop#4 bus at either the first stop, Sieur de Monts -- or the second stop, Sand Beach. No coastal views or points of interest will be missed by using the above.

Personally, I choose to do the transfer at Sand Beach....truly a personal choice based on area interest.

• 1 month later...

2 wks ago because the Acadia Park was closed for shutdown and with this one I had the choice between going to other areas of island.It was nice,but missed Park ,of course.

Didnt see the other one running.

Would advise to book online because it was busy with 2 cruise ships in port.

Also, very convenient due to location at port.:)

We just returned from the cruise on the Brilliance, and took the Olie's Trolley tour in Bar Harbor. Aside from the disappointing fact that Acadia was closed, it was a fabulous tour that I highly recommend. The tour guide we had was quite engaging, knowledgeable and funny. I believe Bar Harbor was my favorite port of the cruise, and I would love to go back and just spend at week there.

We just returned from the cruise on the Brilliance, and took the Olie's Trolley tour in Bar Harbor. Aside from the disappointing fact that Acadia was closed, it was a fabulous tour that I highly recommend. The tour guide we had was quite engaging, knowledgeable and funny. I believe Bar Harbor was my favorite port of the cruise, and I would love to go back and just spend at week there.

We are planning to book this on our cruise next September. How far was the walk to get the tickets and take the tour? How long does it take? DH can walk it but is slow on most days. Is it up hill?

Did you eat lunch after the tour in town, or go back to the ship?

Thanks!

We are planning to book this on our cruise next September. How far was the walk to get the tickets and take the tour? How long does it take? DH can walk it but is slow on most days. Is it up hill?

Did you eat lunch after the tour in town, or go back to the ship?

Thanks!

My husband also has difficulties walking uphill or any distance. We purchased the tickets for Ollie's Trolley in the building where you get off the tender boat. Then there's a very short walk - about 1-2 blocks - to where you board the trolley. No uphill walking unless you want to walk up Main Street to the shops, and even that my husband could handle. We ate at West Street Cafe, across the street from the trolley. Delicious food - especially the chowder!

My husband also has difficulties walking uphill or any distance. We purchased the tickets for Ollie's Trolley in the building where you get off the tender boat. Then there's a very short walk - about 1-2 blocks - to where you board the trolley. No uphill walking unless you want to walk up Main Street to the shops, and even that my husband could handle. We ate at West Street Cafe, across the street from the trolley. Delicious food - especially the chowder!

Thank you so much. I do feel better about booking this tour. Can't wait until our cruise.

Btc1951-- Another question, West Street Cafe looks good. I checked out the menu, and they seem reasonable. I am always looking at the desserts and I didn't see them on the posted menu. Did they have desserts and if so, do you remember what was offered. Looking for blue berry pie.

We were in Bar Harbor during the shutdown and our Acadia tour with Olli's Trolley was affected. They made the best of the situation but it was a bummer.

I was quite happy with the tour for the most part but my biggest complaint would be the windows on the trolley... Heavily tinted and they would only slide up about six inches, which made taking photographs with a decent SLR camera and lens very tough. I would definitely have preferred the ability to get my camera out the window properly to take shots of the beautiful scenery we passed, but taking pictures is a big part of the travel experience for me and it probably bothered me a lot more than other people on the trolley.

Because of the way the seats were positioned, it was impossible to open the window at all without affecting the person in front of you or behind you. Many people dozed off on our tour because it was very warm inside. The driver said we were free to open the windows. I finally slid my window up near the end of the tour, which woke up the lady in front of me who immediately said she was too cold, so it was promptly shut again and she went back to sleep...

We also just returned.(NCL Gem) ..We had visited Acadia NP on a previous cruise via a ship excursion...this time (yes park was closed) we did the Acadian Boat Tours...Nature Cruise...and had gorgeous view of the cliffs and foilage ..from the water....a great alternative..!!!:)

I agree Bar Harbor is a favorite for us also....:D

• 1 month later...

Just a word of warning about tendering in....we were anchored waaaaay out from the harbor! It took nearly 20 minutes or more of motoring into port, passing a Princess ship which was only 5 minutes away from the dock. Passengers with ship tours were allowed to get off first. The wait was long so keep this in mind with your ticket times.

• 4 months later...

I booked reservations on the National Park Tour.. but I am curious why this tour was not mentioned in the newly updated Tom's Port Guide for Bar Harbor? Unless I missed it, he only mentions Oli's Trolley's. Also, in 2014 when I will be there in October, Oli's tours are 11 am or 2 pm and the park is 10 am or 1 pm (our ship will be there 10-5), should I go with a particular time to beat the crows? Fog burnoff? Thanks!

Edited by kimkencruzers

I booked reservations on the National Park Tour.. but I am curious why this tour was not mentioned in the newly updated Tom's Port Guide for Bar Harbor? Unless I missed it, he only mentions Oli's Trolley's. Also, in 2014 when I will be there in October, Oli's tours are 11 am or 2 pm and the park is 10 am or 1 pm (our ship will be there 10-5), should I go with a particular time to beat the crows? Fog burnoff? Thanks!

This was my post and I just re-read the thread. I can't believe all my typos! I will be here in October 9th of 2015 (not 2014) and my ship will be there from

8am-5pm (not 10am-5pm) and I would like to beat crowds not crows!!!!

Anyone have any advice about which company or times are better? I guess I could try to email Tom's Port Guides to see why it was not mentioned.

Thanks!

This was my post and I just re-read the thread. I can't believe all my typos! I will be here in October 9th of 2015 (not 2014) and my ship will be there from

8am-5pm (not 10am-5pm) and I would like to beat crowds not crows!!!!

Anyone have any advice about which company or times are better? I guess I could try to email Tom's Port Guides to see why it was not mentioned.

Thanks!

Me again.. I must have missed it the first time, but the tour is in the port guide. I am a disaster.

• 3 weeks later...

Do i need to pre-book with Oli's Trolley? I will be in Bar Harbor next week and the week after, on a back to back and wanted to wait to see about the weather as to which day I took it. Looks like the pick up point is very near the tender dock. Thanks for any info. Laurie

Do i need to pre-book with Oli's Trolley? I will be in Bar Harbor next week and the week after, on a back to back and wanted to wait to see about the weather as to which day I took it. Looks like the pick up point is very near the tender dock. Thanks for any info. Laurie

You don't need to pre-book as long as there is room in the trolley. I don't know how fast they sell out in May.