How many Formal Nights on a long(er) cruise?

Avril

I'm sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam's transatlantic at the end of October :D and am starting to think about what to pack. I was on a 16 day HAL cruise in 2009 but thinking back, I can't remember how many formal nights there were. So my question is, how many formal nights will there be during a 13 day cruise? Also, what will the dress code be for the other (non formal) nights?

Thanks!!!! :D

Sent from my iPad

I'm sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam's transatlantic at the end of October :D and am starting to think about what to pack. I was on a 16 day HAL cruise in 2009 but thinking back, I can't remember how many formal nights there were. So my question is, how many formal nights will there be during a 13 day cruise? Also, what will the dress code be for the other (non formal) nights?

Thanks!!!! :D

Sent from my iPad

I think the general rule of thumb is 2 formal nights per week. As to the other nights, I got this from HAL's website:

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies may wear a suit, cocktail dress, gown or fancy blouse/top with slacks and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

:)

No worries - wear the same skirt or dress twice - just touch it up with a different shawl or whatever.

My experience lately has been one less formal night on the longer cruises.

On the 13 day, I would guess 3 - could nearly be four but I have found the trend going away from that - but that's just my experience.

Thanks everyone!! :D I guess I'll take 4 formal dresses then (just to be on the safe side)!! :D

A 13 day TA -- more sea days than port days -- you will most likely have 4 formal nights.

Oh ya, we definatly have more sea days then port days!! Out of the 13 days, 10 of them are at sea, can't wait!!!! :D :D

Sent from my iPad

We'll soon be on the TransPacific--37 days. We just got notice that there will be 10 formal nights. :eek: Yikes!! Guess I need to do some shopping. (convenient excuse!)

We're on the Westerdam for 30 days next month --- cruise documents say only 7 formal nites. Of course, there is Halloween --- so need to figure out some kind of costume for that !!

Thanks everyone!! :D I guess I'll take 4 formal dresses then (just to be on the safe side)!! :D

Oh ya, we definatly have more sea days then port days!! Out of the 13 days, 10 of them are at sea, can't wait!!!! :D :D

Sent from my iPad

I think you s/b able to print your boarding pass since you are inside the 50 days. It s/b listed on there how many formal days there will be.

We're on the Westerdam for 30 days next month --- cruise documents say only 7 formal nites. Of course, there is Halloween --- so need to figure out some kind of costume for that !!

We'll be on this cruise on Halloween, too. Do people/staff wear costumes? I was at least going to wear a "spider" necklace and earrings. I love Halloween and am sorry I'm going to miss being at home for the trick-or-treaters.

We'll be on this cruise on Halloween, too. Do people/staff wear costumes? I was at least going to wear a "spider" necklace and earrings. I love Halloween and am sorry I'm going to miss being at home for the trick-or-treaters.

some do and some don't - I think what you are planning is pretty low key and you will be just fine:D:D will go just fine with the evening:D

Don't know if many children will be joining us ---- I know of one for certain --- we could always bring our goodie bags and go "trick & treating" --- I think that would be fun. I have a mask or two --- maybe a tropical theme ?

Yes, I'm on the Roll Call http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1492951 It seems to be a pretty fun, nice group. I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone.

Trick or treating on the ship!! Heh. That would be a hoot!!

ETA: Darn! It looks like we're on different ships!

Wear the same # for every formal, folks tend to remember you more if you wear the same thing. ;)

I'm on the same cruise with HamburgAvonLady, I'll only be taking 1 or 2 suits total as I don't feel like losing all the suitcase space to clothing only worn on specific days. I doubt we'll hit every formal night too.

Derek

I think you s/b able to print your boarding pass since you are inside the 50 days. It s/b listed on there how many formal days there will be.

Ok, thanks!! :D When I did our online check in, I think (if I remember right) it said that our express docs/boarding passes would be available to print tomorrow (September 11th) starting at noon so I'll check then!! :D Although, since we booked with a Travel Agent, I'm not sure if I'll be able to look at them and print them on my own (since most of the time, if you book with a TA you have to do everything through the TA and can't do anything through the cruise line itself)!! :confused: Can't wait to get our docs and boarding passes (and luggage tags) and set sail!!!! :D

Trick or treating on the ship!! Heh. That would be a hoot!!

Ya, it sure would!! :D What would you trick or treat for though (candy? drinks?)? I think it would be a blast!!!! :D

Ok, thanks!! :D When I did our online check in, I think (if I remember right) it said that our express docs/boarding passes would be available to print tomorrow (September 11th) starting at noon so I'll check then!! :D Although, since we booked with a Travel Agent, I'm not sure if I'll be able to look at them and print them on my own (since most of the time, if you book with a TA you have to do everything through the TA and can't do anything through the cruise line itself)!! :confused: Can't wait to get our docs and boarding passes (and luggage tags) and set sail!!!! :D

Doesn't matter how you book you can still (and should) print your own boarding docs and luggage tags.

Archived