Reserve entertainment....why?

kymbakitty

It's been awhile since we've been on RCI, so I may just be on a learning curve.

I see threads about selecting entertainment before you cruise.

Why? Is the entertainment that spectacular that you just can't chance missing out? If that is the case, then that is a welcome change. We cruise for a lot of reasons, but we have missed more shows than we've attended.

And just as puzzling to me is how in the heck are you going to know if you feel like going to a show 50 days prior to the show, let alone how you will feel on day 10 of a 16 day cruise? (Or day 5 of a 7.) I am sure you can always cancel, and I bet many do....because how do you know what you are going to want to do that far in advance?

Is there special seating for those that book 50 days out? I just can't see the reasoning behind this option.

Obviously, there are things that are new and I'm just not aware of....I'm sure.

Thanks.

Dawn

Dawn - the only time I feel the need to book reservations in advance is on the Allure or the Oasis. And no, you will not get special seating on those large ships either. Unless you are in a GS or above or D+ or Pinnacle.

Not sure if you're going on one of the mega ships, but if you are not, don't worry about it. Go and enjoy the ship and the show. There will always be a seat available especially if there are just 2 of you.

Dawn,

We sailed the Oasis last year (a group of three couples) and did not reserve any shows for the same reasons you noted. We were only closed out of one show but were able to easily pick up the show the next night. Many folks seem to make reservations and those are admitted as they arrive at the show. At about 5 to 10 minutes before showtime, however, they let anyone come it until they reach capacity. We stood in line for about 10 minutes (no res.) for Hairspray but when we got in, there were still seats available. Personally I probably will not make any res. for our June 2013 Allure cruise. We will just play it by ear... and have a lot more fun by not fretting over being somewhere at a certain time on a ship full of many fun things to do. If you have your heart set on a particular show, you may want to reserve a time, but don't waste your time reserving anything at the comedy club. There are at least two shows per night and the comedians do not change all week. Also I have a hard enough time reserving specialty dining which can be a huge challenge in itself.

Firstly, I think the Oasis Class ships are the only ones that offer reservations for shows because of the sheer amount of passengers on board.

Secondly, for me, I know I'll want to see all of the shows because of the rave reviews about most of them and because I love live entertainment. I think it's just knowing what you like and what you don't really care about. Part of the appeal of a cruise ship to me is going to a nice dinner, grabbing a drink afterwards and heading to a show. Plus, like you said, if you don't feel like going, you can always cancel. You can't, however, always make it into a show if you don't have reservations! :D

After standing in line before the doors open to attend some evening shows, I am glad it's done by reservation now.

And you don't have to know a month in advance - you can do it on the ship. Reservations are free, and can be cancelled any time.

It's kinda like going to Broadway to see a show or two. Sometimes you want to make sure you can get in, and book early. Sometimes you are willing to take a chance that space will be available and book at the last second.

Some of the show are like that- Chicago, Hairspray, Saturday Night Fever. Some are not- basic night shows.

You don't *have* to get tickets. Some just want to so that they can make sure they see the show when they want to. Others (as you seem to probably lean toward) will go to the show on a whim, and hope to get a good seat (and are normally very successful, it appears).

Anyway, the venues are not nearly big enough to accomidate the ship. And some run longer than traditional 45min shows- so they don't do that many multiples.

Firstly, I think the Oasis Class ships are the only ones that offer reservations for shows because of the sheer amount of passengers on board.

Secondly, for me, I know I'll want to see all of the shows because of the rave reviews about most of them and because I love live entertainment. I think it's just knowing what you like and what you don't really care about. Part of the appeal of a cruise ship to me is going to a nice dinner, grabbing a drink afterwards and heading to a show. Plus, like you said, if you don't feel like going, you can always cancel. You can't, however, always make it into a show if you don't have reservations! :D

I agree with you. Not knowing what to expect when I went on Oasis last year, I had gone ahead and made reservations for all the shows for everyone in my party. I was glad that I did especially for the Ice show, comedy show and the Aqua show as these are smaller venues. I would rather get there 15 minuets early WITH a reservation and have a better choice of seats then 10 minutes before WITHOUT a res and stand in line to get what seats are left over

We went on the Oasis last month and I did reserve all the main shows. When we were actually on the cruise, one night we didn't want to go to a show so we didn't. You can usually get in without one starting 10 min. before show time. You can also change reservations after you're onboard.

We went on the Allure and the planning and reserving shows, for us, was a welcome relief as when we were on board - all was done and we could be flexible and not have to fret about missing something we wanted to see. Another "plus" was that we chose My Time Dining and I wanted to have a nice dinner, walk a bit or get a cocktail, then go to a show. Preplanning enabled me to book the show of our choice and then get MTD reservations that allowed us to enjoy the meal. If a MTD was not available for an evening to coincide with a show - by preplanning, we could swap show nights and get a good dinner time. So that would be another reason for preplanning and booking before getting on the ship. There were people dining and having to hurry through dinner to make a show time to stand in line...they were not relaxing :)

One reason the biggest RCI ships have reservations for shows is to avoid having 6000 passengers rushing at the same time to get into a popular show such as the Aqua Show or one of the Broadway shows.

The advance reservation system kind of forces folks to spread their shows over the week and during each evening to prevent mass stampedes. Even so I have seen some very long stand-by lines. Stand-by lines at the Comedy Club, a small venue, can result in disappointment for those at the end of that long line as it did for us one night.

We now make advance reservations to avoid disappoinment or standing in a long line, but you are not required to show up. If you change your mind, someone in the stand-by line will get your seat, so your reservation isn't keeping someone else from going if you don't show up.

Archived