MDR vs WJ menus/food

I am intrigued about going for a cruise and never going to the MDR. Does the WJ serve the same food for dinner as is served in the MDR? I am on the Jewel of the Seas Solo for a 14d repositioning cruise and would like to at least some of the time skip the MDR. Many nights the food is so so and it takes so much time; it's different when I go w DH or friends and it is more of a social gathering.

I am intrigued about going for a cruise and never going to the MDR. Does the WJ serve the same food for dinner as is served in the MDR? I am on the Jewel of the Seas Solo for a 14d repositioning cruise and would like to at least some of the time skip the MDR. Many nights the food is so so and it takes so much time; it's different when I go w DH or friends and it is more of a social gathering.

You will find many of the same (or similar) dishes being served in the WJ for dinner as are served in the MDR, and more. There will be a large selection of cold food, hors d'ouevre type items, antipasti, etc. I believe they have some of the soups as well.

Some times the food is better in the WJ and sometimes in the MDR. I prefer the MDR 90% of the time, just because it is more, well, cruise like. Service in the WJ can be good or OK, if you get to know a sort of permanent WJ attendant, slip him a few dollars and you will get great service, well, most of the time anyway.

I do like the selections of items in the WJ but as usually I tend to eat more because I sample more.

On our upcoming January cruise, my sister and I plan to go really casual all week and not go to the Main Dining Room at all (unless it is our muster station...LOL). We are in a GS this time (first one ever!!), so we can order anything from the dinner menu through room service. We may hate it, but we thought we'd give it a try. I will be excited to see if I can actually cruise for a week with just one suitcaseicon12.gif All I'll be taking is bathing suits, cover ups, and a few pair of shorts and tops.

Barb

After reading here about getting full food service in suites I am looking forward to getting a suite in the future w DH. Is this jr suites also or just bigger suites. However this time I have a solo oceanview so I'll be trying both WJ and MDR. I am diabetic and the desserts that are labeled sugar free are so high in carbs I'd fall on the floor in a coma, ha! I noticed on my last cruise a fellow at the next table who left just as dessert was ordered. Maybe I could try that also. When I travel on my own the dinner table can be a two hour marathon with strangers, all depends who you end up with.

After reading here about getting full food service in suites I am looking forward to getting a suite in the future w DH. Is this jr suites also or just bigger suites. However this time I have a solo oceanview so I'll be trying both WJ and MDR. I am diabetic and the desserts that are labeled sugar free are so high in carbs I'd fall on the floor in a coma, ha! I noticed on my last cruise a fellow at the next table who left just as dessert was ordered. Maybe I could try that also. When I travel on my own the dinner table can be a two hour marathon with strangers, all depends who you end up with.

Not in JS, just GS and above. We'll be in our third GS in Nov and we've never ordered dinner off the room service menu.

To the person who posted they were diabetic would you mind if i ask you a couple of questions?

I have only been a diabetic for 6 months and am new to cruising with being a diabetic.

I have sent a special request form and informed rci i am a diabetic-so do you go to the dining room on the first day to see if your request has been done?

Where else on the ship do you recommend eating other than MDR?

Not sure what dessert to eat no sugar or low fat?

Sailing on VOS in November.

Thanks Tania

I am diabetic and the desserts that are labeled sugar free are so high in carbs I'd fall on the floor in a coma, ha! I noticed on my last cruise a fellow at the next table who left just as dessert was ordered. Maybe I could try that also.

Thanks Tania

You could request fresh fruit for dessert each night. Just let them know the first night at dinner.

To the person who posted they were diabetic would you mind if i ask you a couple of questions?

I have only been a diabetic for 6 months and am new to cruising with being a diabetic.

I have sent a special request form and informed rci i am a diabetic-so do you go to the dining room on the first day to see if your request has been done?

Where else on the ship do you recommend eating other than MDR?

Thanks Tania

--------------------------------------------------------------

Well it all depends on how you control your diabetes, food only, pills or injections.

I am a type 2 diabetic who controls my blood sugar by very tight carbohydrate control. A tablespoon of a baked potato will raise your blood sugar level higher than a tablespoon of table sugar.

So I'm on a very low carbohydrate diet, not high protein, just low carbs. This translates to NO fruit, fruit juice,, potatoes, pasta, rice, bread, corn, peas, beets or anything with flour added - gravies, sauces, etc. It is 6 gm at breakfast and 12 gm at lunch and dinner.

I do not eat anything labeled sugar free on cruises because their carbs would put me on the floor. They made a special dessert for me once and I luckily when back to the cabin to change shoes after dinner and passed out on my bed for six hours!

But there is no moral issue here, to each their own. You have to figure out what will work for you.

My motto is " You can fool yourself but you can't fool the glucometer," ha!

However I enjoy cruising because I can always find good tasty food I can eat!

I allow myself four times a year to eat whatever I want and I assure you it is the best quality not supermarket stuff.

So enjoy and don't make yourself crazy with it, try to learn as you go, test your blood before you eat and then an hour or two hours later test it again and you can see how that food in that quantity affected YOU.

I tell the booking agent about my food restrictions and again when I go on board I tell the Maitre'd at dinner.

All the best....

We are booked into Chops Grille for both formal nights. We tried Chops last cruise and fell in love with it. So you might try Chops one evening. It was so nice in there. We were the first to arrive so we got to select our table. We got one right by the window. The food was amazing! We had the filet and the asparagus among other things. It was all good!

I always wondered about their "sugar free" desserts. I used to have gestational diabetes and in class we learned that sugar free still has carbs. I also quickly learned which foods made my sugar soar. For me it was potatoes or cereal.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Jewel is a really nice ship to do the no-MDR on as we have found that they usually have a made to order item each night in the WJ -- pizza, pasta, or Mongolian grill. So you can always get something that hasn't been sitting under a heat lamp for a long time. Not all of the ships have this in the WJ.

Archived