Just had my Rudest Carnival Staff Member Ever!

stewpapa

Been Cruising on Carnival for 12 years, and have had NO problem with ANY Carnival Crew or Staff EVER. But last week on the Triumph we had an appallingly rude staff member who made me feel uncomfortable on a cruise fo the first time ever. We just got out of there and steered clear of her for the rest of the cruise. Nothing was said and our cruise was as wonderful as always, just surprised at the bad attitude never encountered before. Maybe she was just having a bad day. I hope so, but if not, she needs to go!

My wife and I were playing Dominoes in the Library with our Mothers. There were two couples studying and reading and another group of ladies just getting there for a meeting.

This Carnival Dancer Girl comes in and throws her bowl of cereal, laptop and backpack down on the desk, where a couple were studying. She looks around disgustedly and starts unlocking the bookshelves. She asks the ladies if they are using a chair that is out of place and they say yes, they are waiting for a friend. Again she looks disgusted. She closes the door to the library and plops down and starts eating and looking at her laptop at the desk where the young couple is studying. She never says "Hi, how is everyone doing today?" or anything, just acts as if we are all invading her personal space. The couple at the desk packs up and leaves. The ladies at the table pack up and leave. The couple reading pack up and leave. Each time someone left, she got up and shut the door behind them, never saying another word or acknowleding anyone. We finish our Domino game and leave. Come to find out, she was there to check out books from the library if anyone needed one from 10-11 and 2-4. We avoid the Library and her from then on. I have never seen such a rude Carnival Employee before and hope never to do so again. Even if they are tired and overworked, it is thier job to be nice and realize that each person on board is there for their long awaited vacation and we are not just another slob who will be getting off in a few days never to be seen again. The people cleaning our toilets do it with a smile. The ones scrubbing the floors as kids run past them dripping ice cream and water from the swimming pool do it with a smile. All this girl had to do was sit in the Library for an hour and she is disgusted and rude. She needs to go.

I know many of you have, but I have never met a rude Carnival employee before. I guess we are lucky.

Been Cruising on Carnival for 12 years, and have had NO problem with ANY Carnival Crew or Staff EVER. But last week on the Triumph we had an appallingly rude staff member who made me feel uncomfortable on a cruise fo the first time ever. We just got out of there and steered clear of her for the rest of the cruise. Nothing was said and our cruise was as wonderful as always, just surprised at the bad attitude never encountered before. Maybe she was just having a bad day. I hope so, but if not, she needs to go!

My wife and I were playing Dominoes in the Library with our Mothers. There were two couples studying and reading and another group of ladies just getting there for a meeting.

This Carnival Dancer Girl comes in and throws her bowl of cereal, laptop and backpack down on the desk, where a couple were studying. She looks around disgustedly and starts unlocking the bookshelves. She asks the ladies if they are using a chair that is out of place and they say yes, they are waiting for a friend. Again she looks disgusted. She closes the door to the library and plops down and starts eating and looking at her laptop at the desk where the young couple is studying. She never says "Hi, how is everyone doing today?" or anything, just acts as if we are all invading her personal space. The couple at the desk packs up and leaves. The ladies at the table pack up and leave. The couple reading pack up and leave. Each time someone left, she got up and shut the door behind them, never saying another word or acknowleding anyone. We finish our Domino game and leave. Come to find out, she was there to check out books from the library if anyone needed one from 10-11 and 2-4. We avoid the Library and her from then on. I have never seen such a rude Carnival Employee before and hope never to do so again. Even if they are tired and overworked, it is thier job to be nice and realize that each person on board is there for their long awaited vacation and we are not just another slob who will be getting off in a few days never to be seen again. The people cleaning our toilets do it with a smile. The ones scrubbing the floors as kids run past them dripping ice cream and water from the swimming pool do it with a smile. All this girl had to do was sit in the Library for an hour and she is disgusted and rude. She needs to go.

I know many of you have, but I have never met a rude Carnival employee before. I guess we are lucky.

Could be she was just having a bad day but certainly should not do what she did.

I agree with everybody's response here. Maybe she lost her job or had a personal problem but her actions were all wrong.

Out of all my cruises I honestly can't say anybody was rude, always had everybody smiling, saying good morning, evening, hello, etc.

I do find the actions of the cabin stewards on Carnival and Carnival only are rude when 8:15am they are vacuuming in the hallway its a total disrespect to passengers that want to sleep. I understand they have a job to do and keep the ship clean but why 8:15-8:30am have the vacuum going in the hallways this should not be done till at least 9am or so. In addition, the cabin stewards usually yell down the hallway to one another, they do this purposely to wake the passengers up so they get done and get off shift. This is the only thing that is rude that I encounter on 75% of my Carnival cruises but not on any other cruise lines.

I think if I get woken up early am by the vacuum this year I will complain to the housekeeping manager.

We had a rude, obnoxious and down right nasty head waiter on our 2008 cruise. He wasn't happy in his job and made no attempts to pretend. One lady in our group asked for hot tea and was told that tea was no longer available. Then he told her that she should have arrived promptly at 8:15 for dinner if she desired tea. That was the only night I dined in the MDR, but I heard many other instances like that from members in our group.

I'm not one to stereotype, but it has been my experience that certain cultures are just not customer service oriented. People from the West Indies for example. We have had numerous negative experiences with them. Oh, BTW - our waiter was from the West Indies :rolleyes:

I'm not one to stereotype, but it has been my experience that certain cultures are just not customer service oriented. People from the West Indies for example. We have had numerous negative experiences with them. Oh, BTW - our waiter was from the West Indies :rolleyes:

Well, guess what? You JUST did the stereotype thing.

Oh, BTW - I'm from the West Indies, too and do not share your opinion:rolleyes:.

:eek:

The absolute best treatment we ever received was from the staff at Sandals Negril in Jamaica. :D

Worst were the snotty French at Club Med Turks & Caicos. There, I actually did confront one young man who held court in the dining area every night, who said something very snarky to me in front of other guests. I reminded him that we were paying $500 a day to be there, and he was being paid to serve us and keep a civil tongue in his head. He shut right on up after that.

Because of him and others like him, we never returned to a Club Med.

Geographically speaking, both those places are in the West Indies (Greater and Lesser Antilles, respectively). ;)

An over-generalization, don't you think? Even if you are extensively traveled, it's a good bet that the West Indian servers you have come into contact with comprise only a small percentage of all servers from the West Indies. Far too few to make such a generalization. Many reading this board (including myself) have had excellent service from West Indian servers. I point this out merely to illustrate that in any group, country, or region, there will be good servers and there will be bad servers. Perhaps it's just the luck of the draw who you get. You've just been unlucky and got the bad servers.

Not trying to cheerlead or anything, honest I'm not... but I don't see anything exceedingly rude here.

She was obviously there to run the library, maybe part of running the library is to make sure the door is shut?

People aren't supposed to talk in a library, so I wouldn't be bothered by her not striking up conversation. I also think looking disgusted is subjective. My mom has a serious set face, she could be perfectly happy and look mean and mad. It's just how her face looks. I don't find lacking a constant smile to be rude, either. Crew are human.

As for slam, I doubt she slammed a laptop down, maybe set it down a little hard. I'm guilty of letting things fall too hard or shutting doors too hard because I'm oblivious at times.

Maybe she wasn't as friendly as she could be, but I don't find her rude. I'm sorry that you did but good on you for not letting it ruin your cruise, too many people would come here screaming that their cruise was ruined! RUINED!!! :)

Maybe she was upset at something else and it was coming across like she was mad at the world. Who knows. I wouldnt let it ruin my vacation.

I get that but someone else shouldn't have to run into that hornet's nest, either.

The employee should be reported.

Not trying to cheerlead or anything, honest I'm not... but I don't see anything exceedingly rude here.

She was obviously there to run the library, maybe part of running the library is to make sure the door is shut?

People aren't supposed to talk in a library, so I wouldn't be bothered by her not striking up conversation. I also think looking disgusted is subjective. My mom has a serious set face, she could be perfectly happy and look mean and mad. It's just how her face looks. I don't find lacking a constant smile to be rude, either. Crew are human.

As for slam, I doubt she slammed a laptop down, maybe set it down a little hard. I'm guilty of letting things fall too hard or shutting doors too hard because I'm oblivious at times.

Maybe she wasn't as friendly as she could be, but I don't find her rude. I'm sorry that you did but good on you for not letting it ruin your cruise, too many people would come here screaming that their cruise was ruined! RUINED!!! :)

Well, I thought she might be upset about us playing dominoes in there, but the shelves were full of board games to play, so I figure that wasn't it. Evidently, the Carnival "Library" isn't really for being quiet in if you are encouraged to play games in there. Also, we were pretty quiet, just us and our 80 year old Moms. No teenagers or kids were in there at all. She was rudest to the couple who she crowded off of "her" desk so she could eat breakfast and the ladies who wanted to visit in there. Most of us have been around alot a people in our lifetime and it's pretty easy to see if someone is disgusted. She was not the typical Carnival employee and she did not perform well by Carnival's own standards of everyone being nice to you and even calling you by name if they get the chance. She didn't even say "Hello", HaHa. Anyone who wouldn't find how she acted to be rude, might have some issues with rudeness themselves. I'm also sure that your Mom isn't being paid to be nice to "Everyone" as Carnival employees are. It's not a sin to look or be disgusted or rude, but it IS her job and she failed miserably that day. Anyway, we will live and so will she. Mainly I used this as a vent and knew I'd get some good stories of other rude encounters which would make me feel better. It has.

Give the girl a break.

She was there to do a job, not entertain you, or befriend you.

Maybe she was having a bad day. You know, you could have smiled at her, and maybe she would have smiled in return.

You shouldn't have avoided the library because of this. That was just silly. If anything, you should have gone back and asked her if she was "feeling better" because she seemed "under the weather" previously.

That would have been the right thing to do.

I get that but someone else shouldn't have to run into that hornet's nest, either.

The employee should be reported.

Oh, I See that you are down to ONE DAY until the ECSTASY! Hope you have a great cruise! The ECSTASY was our favorite....been on her 5 Times, 4 out of TX and once out of NO. So sad to see her move out of Reach. BUT we did enjoy the TRIUMPH which took her place in TX. (Despite the subject of this thread) Enjoy the Ecstasy! E60 is our cabin!

Archived