Question about becoming Diamond while on a cruise

Ruth

My DH & I will be on a 14 day cruise soon. On the 3 day of the cruise we will become Diamond. Will they upgrade our status on the 3rd day. So we are able to go to the Diamond Lounge on the 4th day of the cruise.

Has anyone had this issue before. Thanks

My DH & I will be on a 14 day cruise soon. On the 3 day of the cruise we will become Diamond. Will they upgrade our status on the 3rd day. So we are able to go to the Diamond Lounge on the 4th day of the cruise.

I posted a response over in the Vision thread... in short the points are applied after the cruise, so technically no:(. However reading on this board, a lot of people have had good luck with the same issue by speaking with the Loyalty Ambassador on board..... you never know.

I see you are in Florida, would it be possible to jump on the Monarch for a weekend to nudge you over the threshold before your 14 day cruise? They have had some great prices lately.

Hmmm.....spend $300-400 (plus on-board expenses) on a 3-day cruise just so they can receive a few discounted drinks and a couple of extra coupons on the 14-day vacation?

Now a 3-day cruise to get to D+ status (with Concierge access and FREE drinks for 14 nights) might get you closer to some sort of financial equilibrium but there's not enough Diamond perks (especially on the Vision) to make it worthwhile.

Kinda sucks that RCI doesn't offer mid-cruise status upgrades but it's their program, their rules.

Hmmm.....spend $300-400 (plus on-board expenses) on a 3-day cruise just so they can receive a few discounted drinks and a couple of extra coupons on the 14-day vacation?

Now a 3-day cruise to get to D+ status (with Concierge access and FREE drinks for 14 nights) might get you closer to some sort of financial equilibrium but there's not enough Diamond perks (especially on the Vision) to make it worthwhile.

Kinda sucks that RCI doesn't offer mid-cruise status upgrades but it's their program, their rules.

A couple of the 3 day (MN) went for $99 the last couple of weeks.

If you search other threads on the same topic, you will see postings from those who (reportedly) have been "upgraded" during the course of a cruise. Some have said the loyalty ambassador has either seen to getting them new sea passes or stickers that indicate the new status. As mentioned above, it's worth a try, and probably depends on the ship/LA and circumstances. We're 1 point off platinum and are hoping to at least get invited to the platinum & above event on our AOS cruise in January 2013. But if not, it's not going to ruin our cruise. And if we were closer to Florida, I think we might have done a 3- or 4-day cruise to put us over the top. But sadly we're in Pennsylvania (v e r y s a d l y), so we'll just have to wait. We've even looked at short cruises out of Baltimore, but nothing worked for us this year.

Even at $99 per person it still doesn't make sense financially.

Oh really. I took the MN last weekend single rate $109 oceanview. I was only 1 point away from Diamond status. The second day on board I came back to my cabin and what was waiting for me. MY DIAMOND PIN.:eek: Althought I did not get nor was not looking for the perks that come with it on that cruise, I wanted to move to the next level for our 11/10/12 cruise on the Oasis.

And yes, it makes sense to do it because on the Oasis we had an interior cabin and was able to upgrade to a balcony (at the emerald level) for a grand total of $15. It nearly broke the bank.:p The cruise consultant made a note on my reservation I was to call back in 2 weeks (that's how long it takes for the system to upgrade status) and I will get an additional $100 OBC.

Most of all I just completed my last MBA course that week. Between work, family and classes, it gave me a chance to slow down. It was the first time in 18 months I actually read a book that was not required reading.

not sure where you are located in Florida, but jump on the monarch, majesty toot sweet so you can enjoy your 14 day cruise. For a 14 day cruise, if you do enjoy your evening cocktails, I think its worth it to jump on a weekend cruise and they go to cococay and nassau, you don't have to spend any extra money. We enjoy our Diamond perks whether in the Diamond lounge or viking lounge; so do it.

Oh really. I took the MN last weekend single rate $109 oceanview. I was only 1 point away from Diamond status. The second day on board I came back to my cabin and what was waiting for me. MY DIAMOND PIN.:eek: Althought I did not get nor was not looking for the perks that come with it on that cruise, I wanted to move to the next level for our 11/10/12 cruise on the Oasis.

And yes, it makes sense to do it because on the Oasis we had an interior cabin and was able to upgrade to a balcony (at the emerald level) for a grand total of $15. It nearly broke the bank.:p The cruise consultant made a note on my reservation I was to call back in 2 weeks (that's how long it takes for the system to upgrade status) and I will get an additional $100 OBC.

Most of all I just completed my last MBA course that week. Between work, family and classes, it gave me a chance to slow down. It was the first time in 18 months I actually read a book that was not required reading.

There's a pin? We hit diamond during the last cruise so technically this will be our first cruise as diamonds.

Actually, the diamond balcony discount on the 14 day cruise would do a lot to offset the cost of the 3 day cruise, and it is possible to do a cruise and not incur on-board expenses, other than tips.

Best advice is to take a 3 day weekend cruise before your Vision cruise if you want Diamond benefits. Keep in mind, though, that Vision does not have a Diamond lounge, just a Diamond event. I really like Vision and hope you have a very enjoyable cruise.

That's what we did. We were four days short of Diamond, and booked a 3 day in a JS. I also had new health issues to worry about, and booked a 3 day to see if I could still handle cruising. Then later that year, we took our 14 day to Hawaii.

Maybe they'll do the Diamond reception in one of the lounges, that's what most ships w/o a diamond lounge do.

Archived