Favorite menu item

grammyandpoppy

Once again Terry, you have not disappointed me w/your wonderful pictures and descriptions! My mouth is watering, and you have convinced me to dine in both Murano and Silk Harvest on my cruise in November!

Appreciate your nice comments. To be totally fair, don't forget the Tuscan Grille. Below is one example there, plus two from the Oceanview Cafe. Lots of options on these ship and I hate to be "guilty" of discrimination any area of the ship. Enjoy your eastern Med adventure with so many great places that we have enjoyed in the past. WOW!! Istanbul, Santorini, Mykonos, Ephesus, Naples/Amalfi, Athens, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 102,692 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

This was the Tuscan Grille “Signature Creme Brulee” that I enjoyed. A key tip for the Tuscan Grille is to “pace yourself” as the portions are large (and good). You need to save room for the desserts, etc.:

SolsticeTuscan2Dessert-1.jpg

For the handy and quick, especially at breakfast and lunch time, here is the Oceanview Cafe buffet on the Solstice. This visual sample shows how large and open are these various serving areas. This area includes getting items from the pizza-pasta bar area, various hot and cold items, free tea and juice machines, etc. Second is a carved melon in the fruit area.:

SolsticeOceanviewBuffet1.jpg

SolsticeOceanviewCarnvedFruit.jpg

During the Brunch Buffet, here are two more of my visual samplings. First, added examples for the creativity with the many carved ice sculptures among the many salad options. Second, more on those unique flower carving creations from the main floor of the large dining area.:

SolsticeCarvedFlowersIceSalads.jpg

SolsticeCarvedFlowersIceSculpt.jpg

eggs benedict in the buffet . chocolate filled croisants in cafe Bacio.

lunch duck appetizer in MDR or satay on a stick

had some good seafood rissotos/orzos in MDR for dinner - don' recall actual names. won't eat red meat in MDR anymore, was always below par. (sorry, couldn't resist listing my least favorite as well as the favorites)

Sangria in QSine

Filet migion trio in Normandy

Tuscine Onion Soup in Tuscan Grill

Chicken pot pie and pretzel sandwiches (from sandwich bar) in the buffet

Turkey dinner (usually last night) in MDR

Low fat piña colada frozen yogurt

Chocolate beignets in the am at Cafe al

Anything at Bistro on Five!

Now I really wish I was onboard ship.........

Chicken pot pie and pretzel sandwiches??? I MUST try those. thanks

TLCOhio, that melon carving of a face freaks me out everytime you post it :eek: I do enjoy all your other pics though :D

For our UK friend, I am "GUILTY as charged". I know where your "concerns" are coming from, BUT, it is also great and interesting artistic carving skills by the Celebrity staff. What's a person to do? Art is in the eye of the beholder. Challenging!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 102,692 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

A scallop and salmon kebab with a lemongrass stalk instead of a wooden stick from BLU ( this was a salad main course)

Any cold fruit soup and all Blu's soups.

Creme brûlée from the MDR,

Profiteroles with the shot glass of warm chocolate sauce MDR

Waffles from Ocean view,

all little breakfast pastries from Cafe Bacio.

And I agree the desserts in Blu were poor, someone needs to show them that desserts can be healthy and yet Yummy.

Or better still introduce a daily Sinful dessert to Blu's menu.

Do they have Baked potatoes, caesar salad and steaks in the MDR?

I like Rib Eye steaks-Also do they have fried shrimp?

Hope the food is better than on RCI or Carnival

Baked Potatoes = yes. Ask if they are not listed on menu

Steak - Usually a NY Strip is on everyday menu and other types of steak might be on different nights. I don't know if they ever have a rib eye on the MDR menu but you can (1) ask your waiter or Asst. Maitre d' if you can get it by special order another night and (2) they have a great rib eye steak in the Tuscan Grill Specialty Restaurant

Fried Shrimp - I don't recall seeing this. Possibly in the buffet or by special order in MFR.

Caesar salad = Yes. Note that the "Celebrity" salad dressing offered many nights for the 'regular' salads is a Caesar dressing or one very similar to Caesar.

Do they ever offer beef wellington?

Yes, we had this enjoyable beef dish. Below is a visual.

From the Main Dining Room on the Solstice in June 2011, here is what I re-call as the beef Wellington. Hopefully my memory is working correctly. Does this visual match what others would remember?.:

SolsticeBeefChatTwoMDR.jpg

Two items on the Celebrity favorites on the left side of the menu available in the MDR every night are fabulous-the New York Style cheesecake with caramel sauce and the chicken. I was expecting a plain chicken breast but it was one of my favorites very tasty. I don't even remember how it was described, but sure was good. Also, the mushroom soup on the fist night of the cruise was my favorite soup. I almost didn't order it because I only use mushroom soup in sauces and gravies at home, never eat it. Go for it. Very good.

Terry, thanks for more great pictures! Now my stomach is gnawing on my backbone. We would love to try Tuscan Grill, but we also enjoy MDR so much because of the people we meet. Thanks for your good wishes for our Med cruise. I'm burning the midnight oil reading up on the ports. very exciting! I've been to Europe twice, first time when I was 18 and then again 9 years ago, DH has never been and he's going to be blown away!

For our UK friend, I am "GUILTY as charged". I know where your "concerns" are coming from, BUT, it is also great and interesting artistic carving skills by the Celebrity staff. What's a person to do? Art is in the eye of the beholder. Challenging!!

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Well, her hair looks quite nice, at least.

Beef Wellington looks delicious. I avoid it because I don't eat offal and isn't it something like liver pate between the pastry and beef? Anyone know?

We enjoyed everything we ate in the MDR. The soups were lovely and usually very hot. Almost wish the bread wasn't so nice! I can't leave it alone :o

We tried Muranos and Tuscan Grill which were very nice, but we actually preferred the buzz of the MDR.

Well, her hair looks quite nice, at least.

Beef Wellington looks delicious. I avoid it because I don't eat offal and isn't it something like liver pate between the pastry and beef? Anyone know?

We enjoyed everything we ate in the MDR. The soups were lovely and usually very hot. Almost wish the bread wasn't so nice! I can't leave it alone :o

We tried Muranos and Tuscan Grill which were very nice, but we actually preferred the buzz of the MDR.

Traditionally, Beef Wellington is coated with Pâté (which is supposed to be foie gras - duck or goose liver) and duxelles (which is minced mushrooms). Most of what you see as the coating in Terry's picture above is the duxelles.

Traditionally, Beef Wellington is coated with Pâté (which is supposed to be foie gras - duck or goose liver) and duxelles (which is minced mushrooms). Most of what you see as the coating in Terry's picture above is the duxelles.

Thank you BKFlowerMound, I will ask next time to be sure. :)

Terry, thanks for more great pictures! Now my stomach is gnawing on my backbone. We would love to try Tuscan Grill, but we also enjoy MDR so much because of the people we meet. Thanks for your good wishes for our Med cruise. I'm burning the midnight oil reading up on the ports. very exciting! I've been to Europe twice, first time when I was 18 and then again 9 years ago, DH has never been and he's going to be blown away!

u2cruiser: Beef Wellington looks delicious. I avoid it because I don't eat offal and isn't it something like liver pate between the pastry and beef? Anyone know?

BKFlowerMound: Traditionally' date=' Beef Wellington is coated with Pâté (which is supposed to be foie gras - duck or goose liver) and duxelles (which is minced mushrooms). Most of what you see as the coating in Terry's picture above is the duxelles.[/quote']

Sorry to have caused your stomach gnawing on my backbone!! Tough problem! A good cruise can solve IT!!

Great, interesting, added details/background about Beef Wellington. I just eat it because it tastes good. Nice to know more on these dishes. I always assumed that the origin of the name to be the Duke of Wellington. In reading through Wikipedia, that's more of a mixed question and there is some uncertainty for how they credit this name. Could be that it was invented for a civic reception in Wellington, New Zealand. I'll stick to the Duke of Wellington angle/story. That gives the dish more glitz!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 102,830 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Terry in Ohio

Thank you for posting those beautiful pictures.

Cruising Mediterranean on the Equinox very soon.

First time on Celebrity.

I am getting more excited in anticpation by the minute.

Thanks to everyone else for your list of favorites.

Holly

Archived