A few food/Drink related questions

OarToOar

Sorry for the list but me and the BF are looking at taking our first cruise and we're seriously considering QM2, i do have a few questions, about the cruise if thats ok. We'll be staying in the Queens Grills, if that affects any answers.

1) In the Grills, the hours posted for Dinner are 6.30-9.00, does that mean Dinner is served at 6.30 and may last till 9.00 or that we can enter and start our Dinner at any time between 6.30 & 9.00

2) Is there a buffet that runs in the small hours and if so what kind of food is on there?

3) Do they hold cocktail/martini mixing courses?

4) Is Soy Milk available generally or would we have to let them know in advance i prefer it?

5) I read that in Queens Grill we have a fridge pre-stocked with 2 bottles of spirits and soft drinks which is restocked. Do they charge for restocking either the spirits or the soft drinks?

6) Similarly which spirits are available for the fridge?

Sorry about the long list hopefully a regular cunarder can answer them.

1. Yes

2. Yes, but don't know what the food is like.

3. Yes - for a price.

4. I should let them know.

5. Soft drinks free - they say they charge for re-stocking booze, but we have never been charged in six or seven voyages.

6. Gin, vodka, whisky, brandy, wine, but nothing very expensive.

Jane

Only know answers to the first two:

In Grill restaurants, you can turn up anytime between the opening and closing hours. You don't need to let them know what time in advance - the table is yours for when you want to use it. The same applies at lunchtime - don't go to the Kings Court buffet, you'll have a way better dining experience in the restaurant!

Re the buffet, QM2's 24 hour buffet is called Kings Court. There will always be something available to eat, 24 hours, but I would avoid it at mealtimes - its quite crowded, confusingly laid out, and the food is adequate but not amazingly. Stick to having all your meals in the QG restaurant.

Realised I didn't answer your question about what kind of food: been a couple of years since I was on QM2, and to be honest I avoided Kings Court like the plague, but generally out of hours in buffets you can get things like cookies, little cakes, sandwiches, maybe slices of pizza, tea and coffee, and sometimes cocoa. Unless you have a HUGE appetite, you're unlikely to want more than that at midnight - the meals are pretty big! We sometimes like to have cocoa and a cookie before bed, if we've eaten early.

Although not QG I've noticed the spirits list isn't very good on QM2. I assume I can buy a bottle of my favourite scotch and bring it on board for stateroom consumption?

If I asked, would they provide a cople of glasses?

Yes, if you ask for a glass they will give you one. I haven't heard of anyone being refused a glass.

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Re the spirits of choice provided in the QG fridges, can I exchange one bottle of the spirits for something like Bailey's? Or if not, can I order it for in cabin?

On my last QG trip - about a year and a half ago - Baileys was on the list that the butler gave us. Perhaps someone who has been on board more recently can advise if it still is. Several people have said that it is possible to order something other than what is on the list.

Sorry for the list but me and the BF are looking at taking our first cruise and we're seriously considering QM2, i do have a few questions, about the cruise if thats ok. We'll be staying in the Queens Grills, if that affects any answers.

1) In the Grills, the hours posted for Dinner are 6.30-9.00, does that mean Dinner is served at 6.30 and may last till 9.00 or that we can enter and start our Dinner at any time between 6.30 & 9.00

2) Is there a buffet that runs in the small hours and if so what kind of food is on there?

3) Do they hold cocktail/martini mixing courses?

4) Is Soy Milk available generally or would we have to let them know in advance i prefer it?

5) I read that in Queens Grill we have a fridge pre-stocked with 2 bottles of spirits and soft drinks which is restocked. Do they charge for restocking either the spirits or the soft drinks?

6) Similarly which spirits are available for the fridge?

Sorry about the long list hopefully a regular cunarder can answer them.

1)Yes. It's your time to use. Most arrive between 7-8PM. But you can arrive at up to 9 if you wish.

2)Yes. The food is more late night variety..salads, good knockwursts,some hot "help yourself" meals from the warming trays,desserts.

3)Yes I believe they offer courses..for a fee.

4)Yes. My partner prefers that & Rice milk(as he's Chinese)generally do ask, as it's not always put out, but they have it.

5)Pretty good variety of spirits. Don't expect Grey Goose/Stolichnaya(more likely Absolute or Beefeater)You can request the more expensive & it will be provided for a fee.If your in the most expensive suites(Balmoral etc.)I believe the most any spirit is free.Restocking may have a charge. Depends on your butler,length of cruise,etc. Softdrinks always free.

6)Generally the most popularbrand names. You'll be given a list to choose from. Hope this helps & have fun!

Archived