Self-laundry on Amsterdam

Lady Chew

Do they close the laudry room at a certain time or are they open 24/7?

Back in the days when I did self service laundry on board it seems to me that on the ships I was on there was a sign to cease at 11 pm out of consideration for other passengers.

On long trips I like to get a lot of things at the thrift store. You can find some fun outfits. I then leave everything and have room in my suit case for anything I bought along the way. We have done lots of long land trips that start in cold countries. We leave all our coats and sweaters there as we go south. It is a fun way to pack.

We will be on a very long cruise so there will be plenty of time to do laundry! It's not that big a deal to spend an hour here or there to do a load or two of laundry!

The unlimited laundry pkg is expensive, it's cheaper to use the laundry-by-the-bag, and that is what we will be doing most of the time. We can do 2 bags a week for less than the unlimited pkg.

However, I have some delicate laundry that I would prefer to do myself, will use the washer but not the dryer. I'll probably have to do 5 or 6 loads during the 11 weeks of the cruise. I think I can manage!!

Of course, we'll become 4 stars during the cruise, and my understanding is that we'll start our benefits immediately, including free laundry.

My understanding is that your new benefits do not become available until your next cruise.

My understanding is that your new benefits do not become available until your next cruise.

I believe only on Grand Cruises & World Cruises your 4 star benefits kick in on the same cruise when you reach the Star level so you don't have to wait until the next cruise..

At least that was my understanding..We will reach 300 days on our Grand Cruise next Jan & I've been told that we will receive our silver medals during that cruise..

I'll let you know if it happens..

Cheers...:)Betty

Lucky #13

On the Main Deck, check washer #13. It was accepting one quarter as two... so we ended up paying half the price for the one load we washed. Hope it isn't "fixed" before you get there.

How will you know? Watch the money amount as you drop the quarters. Like a vending machine, it will count up and display the amount as you deposit the coins.

The laundry room on occasion can be the "entertainment" center of the ship. Over the years I have personally witnessed some serious spats and even fights in ship laundry rooms. "Stealing" someone's washer or dryer folks who stayed away too long and someone took their stuff out of a washer or dryer that was done are too of the examples. Once after a serious disagreement between two women, one got her husband and returned and the verbal arguments escalated. The laundry room cleared out fast I must say.

Granted these experiences are rare, but I personally have witnessed several and heard of many more.

For other reasons, we now usually use the laundry service except for an occasional item needing more individual care.

So how many washers and dryers are on each deck? If there are only two I could see taking someone's clothes out if they have been in a finished dryer for more than 15 minutes. I sure wouldn't want to have someone's husband scream at me to touching his wifes undies.

About 30 min? Lets see allow about 15 min to carry all your stuff to the washer after a 15 to 20 min trip to the laundry to see what time the machines might be free...( and hope someone else has not done the same)

Allow 3 min to load and soap, then walk to some deck chair, another 15 min... spend a whoping 10 min relaxing, then 15 min back to the washer. and pray for a free dryer. Lets say you lucky, ok

Allow 5 min to unload check and load the dryer... set for 45 min, then walk back to the deck chair another 15 read the book 10 to 15 min, then back 15 min to the dryer to un load. Spend 15 min carrying stuff back to the cabin and another 10 folding... and putting away....And thats without Ironing....

So your 45 min wash and 45 min dry, Thats well over 1.5 hours, not

counting the 1.5 hours of actual wash and dry time.

AND that assumes a machine will be available exactly when you want it... if not add the all the times you have to back and forth and it can really add up ( which is rare-rare-rare) Under ideal conditions...perfect it is a 3 hour min period of time... with maybe 30 min in 10 to 15 min segments subtractsd

Actual time is closer to 2.5 hours ..... I it might take you 30 min to just load and un load the machines but ignores all the other time that the operation demands.

I will bet anone big$$$$$$ that you cant do laundry in 30 min or even an hour..are you on?

I had no wait for machines. I used the launderette on Main Deck -- one deck up from cabin and midship. Lower Promenade deck is only one deck up from there. I did one load. I can walk the stairs up and down one deck in much less than 15 minutes! You allowed 75 minutes walking in your schedule. The laundry was just a minor interruption to my reading enjoyment.

Also I don't mind doing laundry. I have memories of my mother doing the weekly wash for 4 on a washboard. I also have done laundry with only a washing machine where the water had to carried to the wash boiler, then transferred to the machine. Then water carried to the rinse tub. Then clothes to the clothes line. Gathered later when dry and folded. The washing machine then emptied and rinsed out. Just transferring clothes to two machines is sooo much better!

Is that really true about getting the benefits of the next Mariner level if you happen to hit it during the cruise? I never remember reading that anywhere in these threads and would love to know we get 3* Mariner status perks on our Nov 11 Nieuw Amsterdam cruise coming up (only 3 credits away right now)!

So how many washers and dryers are on each deck? If there are only two I could see taking someone's clothes out if they have been in a finished dryer for more than 15 minutes. I sure wouldn't want to have someone's husband scream at me to touching his wifes undies.

I wouldn't remove anyones clothes from either the washer or the dryers.

We were walking by the laundry room on the OLD Nieuw Amsterdam heading out onto the Promenade Deck when a fight broke out. One woman removed another woman's laundry from the dryer. Security had to be called.

Is that really true about getting the benefits of the next Mariner level if you happen to hit it during the cruise? I never remember reading that anywhere in these threads and would love to know we get 3* Mariner status perks on our Nov 11 Nieuw Amsterdam cruise coming up (only 3 credits away right now)!

You will not get the benefits of your 3 star Mariner Status until your not next cruise -- not on your Nov 11th cruise.

From HAL's site:

QA.jpgIf I become eligible for a higher benefit tier while onboard, when can I take advantage of the additional benefits?

For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage.

[/size][/font]

On long trips I like to get a lot of things at the thrift store. You can find some fun outfits. I then leave everything and have room in my suit case for anything I bought along the way. We have done lots of long land trips that start in cold countries. We leave all our coats and sweaters there as we go south. It is a fun way to pack.

The guy down the street, does that. When he comes over to stay in Hawaii at his house, he sends an advance party to buy a full wardrobe for is stay. When He leaves the gives it all to charity or a thrift store.

Paul Allen is that sort of guy. Nice down to earth guy....

Your in good company:cool:

I like people that have their own 767...

No...Sorry but that is not what I said..I said I believe that on Grand/World Cruises you have the advantage of going up to the next level if it is reached on that cruise..

If your Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise is not a Grand Cruise then you will have to wait until your next cruise to get the benefits of 3 star..

On our Grand Cruise in Jan we will reach 300 days, during that cruise, & I've been told we will also receive our Silver medals then..I'll post it, if we do or don't receive them..

Cheers...:)Betty

You will not get the benefits of your 3 star Mariner Status until your not next cruise -- not on your Nov 11th cruise.

From HAL's site:

QA.jpgIf I become eligible for a higher benefit tier while onboard, when can I take advantage of the additional benefits?

For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage.

[/size][/font]

Just saw your post...Hmmm..Wonder why it does not mention World Cruises....Are World Cruises now called Grand Voyages too?:confused::confused:

Betty

Are World Cruises now called Grand Voyages too?:confused::confused:

Around the world cruises are Grand Voyages - just like the circumnavigations of the Pacific and South America and the round trip to the Med the Prinsendam does from Florida. Have been for years. NO reason for HAL to list them all, 'Grand Voyages' is encompassing and descriptive.

Archived