If you loved Kotor and Dubrovnik and want more ...

Dr. Cocktail

... there is a superb experience out there that few people may know about. I just returned from a week cruising the Adriatic in Croatia and Montenegro aboard Compagnie du Ponant's 16 month old L'Austral. We sailed round-trip from Venice to Split, Kotor, Dubrovnik, Hvar, Rovinj, Pula and Korcula - each port more beautiful than the one before it. As someone who loved my first cruise on Oceania (and have another booked), I thought I would post here as the "target audience" is pretty similar.

People on these boards always compare Azamara, Regent, Seabourn and others - Ponant is probably unfamiliar to most. L'Austral is 10700 grt and carries a maximum of 264 passengers - we were sailing full with 234 passengers as many cabins can be combined to form two-room suites. The ship spends half her time in Antarctica and is fully equipped with Zodiacs and is ice-hardened.

Many of the passengers were there with Taulk tours (about 60%), about 30% were independent French passengers and 10% (like ourselves) were independent English-speaking.

If the Marina is similar to a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton, L'Austral would be more described as a Hotel W. Her cabin sizes are inbetween those of the smaller and larger Oceania ships. The overall service is similar to that of Oceania.

Dining was a mixed bag - while the food (especially the desserts) was much better than Oceania, the dining experience was not ideal. For dinners, the main restaurant was open seating while the casual restaurant was reservation required. The service, however was rushed, the complimentary wines rather poor and you were usually required to share a table (albeit with generally delightful fellow passengers).

The lounge entertainment was shockingly better the O - the ship had two pianists, two vocalists as well as a cast of 5 for the rather sad "production shows".

If anyone wants to experience a cruise entirely spent on the Adriatic, I can't think of a more stylish way to do it. I would be happy to answer anyone's questions.

Thank you for the information. I had thought about this ship, but I had read nothing about it. We are doing the Antartica in December of 2013 (12/22/13 - 1/8/14) on another line since O does not do it. We have already done all of South America with O, but we booked this one fro Rio to Valparaiso, but this might be the best for our interest.

We did the Artic last year w/O, and we had a great time.

What is the age of those on the L'Austral? I am in my early 70's and my husband 80, BUT we are like we are in our 50's or 60's. We would certainly not want to board and find everyone in the 40's and not be able to keep up with them.

This is an honest question to consider an appropriate trip. Thanks. If you don't want to answer on the board, our address is eyrfj@aol.com.

... there is a superb experience out there that few people may know about. I just returned from a week cruising the Adriatic in Croatia and Montenegro aboard Compagnie du Ponant's 16 month old L'Austral. We sailed round-trip from Venice to Split, Kotor, Dubrovnik, Hvar, Rovinj, Pula and Korcula - each port more beautiful than the one before it. As someone who loved my first cruise on Oceania (and have another booked), I thought I would post here as the "target audience" is pretty similar.

People on these boards always compare Azamara, Regent, Seabourn and others - Ponant is probably unfamiliar to most. L'Austral is 10700 grt and carries a maximum of 264 passengers - we were sailing full with 234 passengers as many cabins can be combined to form two-room suites. The ship spends half her time in Antarctica and is fully equipped with Zodiacs and is ice-hardened.

Many of the passengers were there with Taulk tours (about 60%), about 30% were independent French passengers and 10% (like ourselves) were independent English-speaking.

If the Marina is similar to a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton, L'Austral would be more described as a Hotel W. Her cabin sizes are inbetween those of the smaller and larger Oceania ships. The overall service is similar to that of Oceania.

Dining was a mixed bag - while the food (especially the desserts) was much better than Oceania, the dining experience was not ideal. For dinners, the main restaurant was open seating while the casual restaurant was reservation required. The service, however was rushed, the complimentary wines rather poor and you were usually required to share a table (albeit with generally delightful fellow passengers).

The lounge entertainment was shockingly better the O - the ship had two pianists, two vocalists as well as a cast of 5 for the rather sad "production shows".

If anyone wants to experience a cruise entirely spent on the Adriatic, I can't think of a more stylish way to do it. I would be happy to answer anyone's questions.

Dr. Cocktail,

I received a Tauck book and was interested in this cruise, however I assumed you had to go through Tauck and be on all their tours. How can you book independently? Thanks for the info.

It's rare that Tauck doesn't offer an all-inclusive. It's built into the cruise or land tour.

Dr. Cocktail,

I received a Tauck book and was interested in this cruise, however I assumed you had to go through Tauck and be on all their tours. How can you book independently? Thanks for the info.

Hello all! I will respond in one posting.

Spindrift: My partner and I are both in our late 40's and we we're among the very youngest on board (We think the youngest was 42).

The majority of the passengers were in their late 60's and mid 70's. We were shocked to see one man who I thought was about 80'ish to be 96!!!

There is nothing to "keep up" with - it's all very casual and relaxed.

Boardrep: I booked the ship through my usual travel agent - like Oceania, the price you see on the website is the price that you pay. Taulk includes a two night stay at the Danielli in Venice, a one hour cocktail party nightly (which is no longer relevant as the ship is now fully inclusive of all alcohol) and shore tours in each port - at a mark up of exactly 100% of the Ponant website price. You can tour on your own or purchase tours on the ship or arrange for a private guide. Many of the Tauck participants were skipping tours by the end - these are wonderful ports to casually wander on your own.

How can you book independently? Thanks for the info.

They have a website

http://en.ponant.com//%28pays%29/84/%28devise%29/euro

There are some reviews

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/cruiseline.cfm?CruiseLineID=132

You may also want to search OTHER CRUISE LINES forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218

I have a question - were the announcements etc on board made in English, in French, or both? Reason I ask is that a close friend went to Antartica on le Diamant which is also a Compagnie du Ponant ship. She speaks English and German but no French... and all the announcements, all the time, were in French so she was not only a bit lost but also thought it was also a security problem.

I'm very surprised you give such a glowing view of ponant, I can only say like many other reviewers, that my cruise on le boreal (sister ship of l'austral), goes down as the worst cruise i have ever taken.

The suite i had, which was the deluxe suite, of which there are only few on board, was a reasonable size, but had the smallest bathroom i had ever experienced on a ship, it was tiny, and the normal veranda rooms were very, very small.

The food with one or two exceptions was very disappointing, not up to the standards of Seabourn and neither was the service, very french and very rude, arrogant staff.

A diappointing experience i shall not be repeating.

It was pulled up at the side of us on Seabourn Spirit last week in split, and i was most grateful NOT to be onboard!!

Apart from being a super looking ship, IMO not alot else going for it!!

Alexandra Cruiser - there are only 8 cabins without balconies onboard

Hambagahle- all announcements were in English and French

Tillylovesseabourn - sorry, but I stand by my review. I must dispute my review as being "glowing" as I did have problems with dining. As stated before, however, the actual food quality was as good as and frequently better than Oceania. I also agree that there are many poor reviews for Le Boreal but there are also many good ones.

The bathroom had a separate toilet stall and I agree that the sink area was tight but the shower was the largest and best that I have had on a ship. I also liked the view-through to the cabin.

The staff were generally lovely and we were greeted by everyone with friendly smiles and "bonjour/hello's".

I also checked your review and noted that your sailed on Le Boreal just after her launch - a new larger class of ship for a small company may not show a ship at her finest. I don't want to sound like an apologist for this company, but I personally eschew inaugurals and early sailings of new ships until the teething problems are sorted out.

I also went on this ship specifically for the itinerary knowing that she is an expedition ship and as such, will have limitations dictated by her special functions.

I have not been on Seabourn but have been on a lot of cruises in all market segments and L'Austral will certainly count among my best cruises.

What's the smoking situation? Being a French ship, I have my concerns.

Looked it up. Smoking allowed in all outside areas, which includes balconies. So, as lovely as the itinerary does sound, that's an absolute no-go. We were next door to smokers on a cruise and were frequently driven off our balcony by fumes. No sleeping with the door open to the outside, either. Never again.

Azevedan: There was NO problem with smoke. L'Austral is strictly non-smoking inside cabins and verandas. (I reconfirmed this on my Daily Program). People do smoke outside at the bar but not in the casual outdoor restaurant.

ClaudiaF: L'Austral is their newest ship. Le Diamant and Le Levant leave the ship this month. That will leave the sailing ship Le Ponant with the sisters Le Boreal, L'Austral and Le Soleal which arrives next spring.

Azevedan: There was NO problem with smoke. L'Austral is strictly non-smoking inside cabins and verandas. (I reconfirmed this on my Daily Program). People do smoke outside at the bar but not in the casual outdoor restaurant.

Thanks for the update. The website didn't break out verandahs, at least not that I found.

Smoking/Non-smoking areas

Our ships are non-smoking. The indoor areas (lounges, dining-room, cabins, reception, etc.) are all non-smoking areas. Please smoke only in the outside areas of the ship.

http://de.ponant.com/Bordleben/Discover-Compagnie-Du-Ponant/Useful-information/(pays)/84/(devise)/euro

Our ships are non-smoking. The indoor areas (lounges, dining-room, cabins, reception, etc.) are all non-smoking areas. Please smoke only in the outside areas of the ship.

http://de.ponant.com/Bordleben/Discover-Compagnie-Du-Ponant/Useful-information/(pays)/84/(devise)/euro

Exactly. Isn't a veranda outdoors?

JimandStan:

As we all know, websites are not always fully accurate. I must emphatically restate that smoking was not allowed in cabins or on verandas (sorry - I'm at work so I can't scan the "rules" from the embarkation info sheet). Smoking was actually only allowed in outside areas where ashtrays were provided - the only area with ashtrays was the bar at the back of the top deck. As violent non-smokers, we were prepared to put up with a little smoke but it was a complete non-issue.

Azevedan: With all due respect, what's the use of having these boards if you don't trust first-hand reports? Again, don't always trust websites as they are not always current with onboard policies.

Azevedan: With all due respect, what's the use of having these boards if you don't trust first-hand reports? Again, don't always trust websites as they are not always current with onboard policies.

I was not questioning the first-hand account. I accept it, and am glad to have learned it (as I stated above in an earlier comment.)

I was replying to JimandStan, who posted the rules above in response to me saying I couldn't find where the website broke out verandas. The rules they quoted don't. That was the gist of my reply wherein I quote JimandStan.

Are we all straight now? ;)

I was not questioning the first-hand account. I accept it, and am glad to have learned it (as I stated above in an earlier comment.)

I was replying to JimandStan, who posted the rules above in response to me saying I couldn't find where the website broke out verandas. The rules they quoted don't. That was the gist of my reply wherein I quote JimandStan.

Are we all straight now? ;)

My Bad! Crossed signals.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkD3AMjFgiN_oancf-CUgISVUhR2BSFPH3ImeOpgn8oCEd5DWbNw

Placed for forgiveness

what's the use of having these boards if you don't trust first-hand reports?

I realize that you are trying to reassure us about the smoking but I actually find it even more disturbing that Compagnie du Ponant seemingly has one policy on the ship, and another spelled out on their Site.

It is a slippery slope to say that this is ok, simply because we approve of the amended policy.

I realize that you are trying to reassure us about the smoking but I actually find it even more disturbing that Compagnie du Ponant seemingly has one policy on the ship, and another spelled out on their Site.

It is a slippery slope to say that this is ok, simply because we approve of the amended policy.

I think that all cruise lines are guilty of similar instances. Frankly, why are posters always asking you questions directly to clarify what they have heard from their travel agent, read on the website, or heard from an Oceania customer service rep? I know you are an Oceania booster but you have to cut some slack on this issue.

Archived