Which time of year Feb or Apr?

Nikkia2112

Hi everyone! This is my first post here. My husband and I have cruised many times years ago before we had kids. We have two boys ages 5 and 8 and are looking to book a cruise during one of their upcoming school breaks. They have a week of for President's Day in Feb. and a week for Spring Break, which begins April 8.

We are looking at a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean and haven't decided on a cruise line yet. Up until now our family vacations have been trips to Disney, so we're looking forward to something different.

So, which time of year would be the best for prices and weather? I'm sure both weeks would be very crowded, so we're expecting that. Of course, we could put it off until summer. What do y'all suggest?

Thanks so much!

Hi everyone! This is my first post here. My husband and I have cruised many times years ago before we had kids. We have two boys ages 5 and 8 and are looking to book a cruise during one of their upcoming school breaks. They have a week of for President's Day in Feb. and a week for Spring Break, which begins April 8.

We are looking at a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean and haven't decided on a cruise line yet. Up until now our family vacations have been trips to Disney, so we're looking forward to something different.

So, which time of year would be the best for prices and weather? I'm sure both weeks would be very crowded, so we're expecting that. Of course, we could put it off until summer. What do y'all suggest?

Thanks so much!

I would first check airfare and cruise prices and go from there. The water will be a bit warmer in April but you can't predict the weather so no sense worrying too much about that.

My wife and I cruised this past February for Western Caribbean and the weather was wonderful once we got a bit south - cruised from Galveston so it was cool and rainy when we left but after a day at sea it was nicer and by the time we got south of Cuba the weather was wonderful! The prices are also cheaper on Carnival so we are taking our 4 kids with us Feb 2013 for another 7 day western and then plan on doing the 7 day eastern early 2014.

Happy Cruising!

My family of 4 has done both Feb. & April school vacation week cruises, but tend to prefer Feb. just because it feels like more of a treat to escape the cold/snow (although there is also the added concern about weather impacting our flights). We'll be headed back on the Oasis (2nd time) this coming Feb. school vacation week -- maybe we'll be sailing with you! :) Good luck!

February will likely be a cheaper time to travel than in April, due to high school/college spring break. And, it has been our experience that the February cruise will have less kids. As for the weather, we've cruised often in January, mid-February, and late February/early March. Ports like Key West, Nassau and the Bahamas private islands can be cold or warm, depending on how the winter goes. And, by "cold," I'm talking mid to high-50's to low-60's in the mornings, before warming up a bit in the afternoon. . . what a South Floridian like myself would consider "cold," but a northerner would love. Either way, you won't want to get in the water if it is "cold." But, last year was a very warm winter. We were swimming in the pool on Christmas Eve and beyond. So it varies.

That being said, even if it is "cold," our experience has been that you will only notice it at the Key West, Nassau, Bahamas private islands, and first/last sea days if you are on an Eastern Caribbean cruise. Even if "cold" in those ports, the weather and water temperature is perfectly warm in Eastern Caribbean ports in the Virgin Islands (St. Thomas/St. Johns/St. Maarten), at San Juan, Puerto Rico, at Royal's private island (Labadee) on Haiti, and Jamaica.

Western Caribbean can be trickier in the colder months. Weather temp will probably be just fine at Grand Cayman, but water temperature a little too cold. But, weather and water temp could both be fine at Cozumel.

For many years we always went the week of President's Day as that is usually Valentine's Day week and my son's birthday. Pros: Prices are lower, less kids on ship, calm seas (usually). The only con is that occasionally we get somewhat colder weather or colder water especially in the Bahamas and islands really close to the US (the further down you do the warmer it is). April is the time when many spring breaks occurs so prices will be higher, there will be a ton of kids and college kids and the weather will be marginally warmer. I'd go with February.

Hi, I will tell you from experience that we hadn't cruised for 13 years. We did before our son was born. We took him on the Allure in 2011 and it was wonderful for ALL because we had so much to do and there was never a ship like this years ago when it was just my husband and myself. Your 3 choices are great! You will be amazed at how cruising has changed. Definitely go in April when you will see more families, the water temps are warmer, but maybe wait until after school break (Easter week) when prices may be lower.

Archived