Insurance only for flight home

MNfamilycruiser

Our booked flight home from the cruise was cancelled, and we ended up with a rather risky choice - booking two different carriers.

I am slightly worried that if our first flight is significantly delayed, and we miss the connection - we could end up purchasing new tickets that day (if the 2nd airline is unwilling to help)

So my most important feature is the missed connection - and the amount they would cover, the reasons they allow (mechanical, weather etc.). I have been looking at TravelSafe based on other posts here - and it looks like it might work. Any other suggestions?

No pre-existing conditions to worry about, no cancellation for any reason - I booked the flights today - but booked the cruise back in December of 2011.

Any thoughts on covering the whole trip vs. just the flight?

Our booked flight home from the cruise was cancelled, and we ended up with a rather risky choice - booking two different carriers.

I am slightly worried that if our first flight is significantly delayed, and we miss the connection - we could end up purchasing new tickets that day (if the 2nd airline is unwilling to help)

So my most important feature is the missed connection - and the amount they would cover, the reasons they allow (mechanical, weather etc.). I have been looking at TravelSafe based on other posts here - and it looks like it might work. Any other suggestions?

No pre-existing conditions to worry about, no cancellation for any reason - I booked the flights today - but booked the cruise back in December of 2011.

Any thoughts on covering the whole trip vs. just the flight?

Well - I answered my own question - but in case anyone else is wondering....under the Travelex Travel Max coverage - this situation would be considered a Trip Interruption and will be covered up to 150% of my insured trip. Now just to determine the possible cost of same day tickets out of Orlando.

Be aware of the implications of not purchasing travel insurance for the rest of the cruise. I am not telling you what to do but consider the ramifications of getting sick on board the ship or worse yet having a medical emergency where you must be evacuated or where you will spend a lot of time in a hospital outside the USA.

In the end it comes down to how much risk you want to take.

Keith

Be aware of the implications of not purchasing travel insurance for the rest of the cruise. I am not telling you what to do but consider the ramifications of getting sick on board the ship or worse yet having a medical emergency where you must be evacuated or where you will spend a lot of time in a hospital outside the USA.

In the end it comes down to how much risk you want to take.

Keith

Yes, when I actually tested out various dates and amounts, we realized it made no sense to just cover the flights. We are covering the COST of the flights in case we need to rebook them, but the dates are for the entire trip - so we will have all the emergency medical, delayed baggage etc.

Yes, when I actually tested out various dates and amounts, we realized it made no sense to just cover the flights. We are covering the COST of the flights in case we need to rebook them, but the dates are for the entire trip - so we will have all the emergency medical, delayed baggage etc.

So, this is a plan such as CSA that does not require you to cover the entire trip, correct?

So, this is a plan such as CSA that does not require you to cover the entire trip, correct?

Yes - but then you can only get back based on the amount you covered. In my case - since my only real worry was possibly needing to buy new flights home I only covered the cost of those flights. (I rounded up so that we would have a sufficient amount to buy new flights in worst case) If we needed to cancel the entire cruise - we would still only get back the amount I covered - far less than the actual cost.

Well - I answered my own question - but in case anyone else is wondering....under the Travelex Travel Max coverage - this situation would be considered a Trip Interruption and will be covered up to 150% of my insured trip. Now just to determine the possible cost of same day tickets out of Orlando.

Does the Travel Max cover the delays for weather? Since we're flying out of/into the Northwest in February, we're always worried about the infamous blizzards.

Archived