Live from the Poesia.

papcx

Morning all.

It's 6:30AM and me and my DW are sat in Manchester airport have some breakfast and a coffee. We're watching the Poesia dock at Genoa on the web cams. 10 hours till we set sail!!!

I'm going to try and do a live review whilst cruising. This will of course depend on Internet connection etc.

In the meantime does anyone have any advise on what to do on our first day aboard.

Cheers.

Papcx.

Morning all.

It's 6:30AM and me and my DW are sat in Manchester airport have some breakfast and a coffee. We're watching the Poesia dock at Genoa on the web cams. 10 hours till we set sail!!!

I'm going to try and do a live review whilst cruising. This will of course depend on Internet connection etc.

In the meantime does anyone have any advise on what to do on our first day aboard.

Cheers.

Papcx.

7:10 update. She's docked and she looks beautiful!!

Time to get the bunting out, we're on our way.

Come in guys. 38 views and no advice for first day?

Edited by papcx
Update.

Have a great day!

First day advice would be

- get to know the ship (pretty obvious that one!)

- get an Internet package, theynwork out cheaper per minute the more minutes you buy (and if you do, rememberbto logout of the MSC browser or you'll use up minutes even when you are not using it)

- newspaper servicenis goodnand reasonable and they have quite a lot of UK publications

- go to the embarkation talk for English passengers. 3 benefits to this: get to grips on how things work on MSC/the ship; meet the English speaking host; meetnother English speaking passengers.

- If youmwantnspa treatments or hairdresser appointments, make them dayn1 to ensure you get them when you want.

Have a great day!

First day advice would be

- get to know the ship (pretty obvious that one!)

- get an Internet package, theynwork out cheaper per minute the more minutes you buy (and if you do, rememberbto logout of the MSC browser or you'll use up minutes even when you are not using it)

- newspaper servicenis goodnand reasonable and they have quite a lot of UK publications

- go to the embarkation talk for English passengers. 3 benefits to this: get to grips on how things work on MSC/the ship; meet the English speaking host; meetnother English speaking passengers.

- If youmwantnspa treatments or hairdresser appointments, make them dayn1 to ensure you get them when you want.

Thanks for that.

I think we've got a good feel for the ship already. YouTube is full of ship info.

Nice call on the English meet and greet. I'd forgotten about that.

DW has booked a spa package (so at least I'll get some peace and quiet) so she can get her appt. today.

Not sure about Internet. I've read mixed reviews about connectivity and speeds etc. might just try for free Wifi spot ashore (or data roaming)

Anyway. Should be calling our gate any minute. I'm far too over excited.

Papcx

Enjoy your cruise on the lovely Poesia, and the itinerary looks wonderful:) The sailaway weather in Genova is also great as far as I can see on the harbour webcam.:)

http://www.webcam.comune.genova.it/matitone_g.htm

Weather is gorgeous! Saw the Poesia in dock as we landed.

Waiting for luagage now then off to port.

Edited by papcx
My over tied spelling.

Mon 17.09

Got our bags pretty quickly and left to get transfer to the port. Waited about 10 mins for 6 others passengers who never turned up!

Trip is about 5 min, but that's more than enough for me on Italian roads with Italian drivers

The check-in building is very nice. Wide open spaces full of marble. We showed or passports, had our photos taken (for security) registered our credit car and walked through the "corridor of selling" (my DWs description) which to be fair was not pressure selling, more to show what's available. Had our boarding photo taken and then headed for the ship.

WOW!!

We've only ever done Costa Magica before and that was big, but the Poesia is huge! And beautiful! Every crew member from dock to our cabin smiled or said hello, which was nice. We had a quick walk and then checked out the cabin. We'd booked a cat 8 balcony and had a room on deck 12 for 7 months. For some reason MSC moved us to deck 15 two weeks ago. Same cat but I'm not complaining. So high up, the views from the balcony are stunning.

Room and shower room are clean, but the bedding had hairs and a stain on! Spoke to Gette, our steward who was very apologetic and to be fair was back in about 3 minutes to change them. I'll keep you informed of future occurrences.*

Case arrived about an hour after us but before unpacking quick bite to eat at the buffet (okay, nothing special, but will suffice.) and off to meet and greet. Anatasia is our English speaking host and English is her (second (or third) not that it matters)) language. 30 minutes of excursions and explaining the daily programm (MSCs spelling). Waste of time imo.

Unpack and muster drill. 1/2 hour later that "estimated start time" but it's a legal requirement so it happens when it happens. Not really taken as seriously as I'd expect. Officers seemed more worried about getting the red card off everyone, which I assume ticks the box for MSC. Poor show imo especially as we will be passing close to the Concordia later tonight.

On to deck as we set off, watching Genoa disappear into the distance.

Then to dinner. Should have been 6:15 sitting but were now 15 mins late. I asked the guy who met us who we can ask about changing to 2nd sitting. He takes is straight away to the head waiter and after explaining he'd changed us within a minute.

So instead of dinner we check out bar dei poeti. Nice live piano in a relaxed atmosphere, and 2 lovely barmen.

Off at last to diner at 8:45. A change of seating has left us at a table of our own. Well, I've read mixed reviews about MSC food. All I can say is 5 courses didn't let me down. Mussels to start, followed by soup, risotto and cod for main. Lemonchello (sp) cheesecake for dessert is a triumph.*

A nightcap now and then off to bed!

I have to add a little about last night. We went for a night cap. DW had a Strawberry Dakari and I had a B-52 which is kalua, Baileys and Gran Marnia, won't be able to manage too many of them! *Then we went for another wander.*

Remember I mentioned the dirty bedding earlier? Well everything else is spotless! And I mean really clean and I'll tell you why. At night loads of crew appear with sprays and cloths and clean EVERYTHING. And I mean everything, but it's not like a massive team sweeping an area, they're discreet and don't get in the way, and they smile or say hello as you pass.*

As this is the Poesia's last cruise before drydock I was a little worried things may be let slide, well not so far.*

Overall day 1 has been superb! *Okay, bedding situation wasn't great but our steward turned what could have been a bad situation into a positive by reacting so quickly and wowing us. Everything else has been good or fantastic.*

Mon 17.09

Got our bags pretty quickly and left to get transfer to the port. Waited about 10 mins for 6 others passengers who never turned up!

Trip is about 5 min, but that's more than enough for me on Italian roads with Italian drivers

The check-in building is very nice. Wide open spaces full of marble. We showed or passports, had our photos taken (for security) registered our credit car and walked through the "corridor of selling" (my DWs description) which to be fair was not pressure selling, more to show what's available. Had our boarding photo taken and then headed for the ship.

WOW!!

We've only ever done Costa Magica before and that was big, but the Poesia is huge! And beautiful! Every crew member from dock to our cabin smiled or said hello, which was nice. We had a quick walk and then checked out the cabin. We'd booked a cat 8 balcony and had a room on deck 12 for 7 months. For some reason MSC moved us to deck 15 two weeks ago. Same cat but I'm not complaining. So high up, the views from the balcony are stunning.

Room and shower room are clean, but the bedding had hairs and a stain on! Spoke to Gette, our steward who was very apologetic and to be fair was back in about 3 minutes to change them. I'll keep you informed of future occurrences.*

Case arrived about an hour after us but before unpacking quick bite to eat at the buffet (okay, nothing special, but will suffice.) and off to meet and greet. Anatasia is our English speaking host and English is her (second (or third) not that it matters)) language. 30 minutes of excursions and explaining the daily programm (MSCs spelling). Waste of time imo.

Unpack and muster drill. 1/2 hour later that "estimated start time" but it's a legal requirement so it happens when it happens. Not really taken as seriously as I'd expect. Officers seemed more worried about getting the red card off everyone, which I assume ticks the box for MSC. Poor show imo especially as we will be passing close to the Concordia later tonight.

On to deck as we set off, watching Genoa disappear into the distance.

Then to dinner. Should have been 6:15 sitting but were now 15 mins late. I asked the guy who met us who we can ask about changing to 2nd sitting. He takes is straight away to the head waiter and after explaining he'd changed us within a minute.

So instead of dinner we check out bar dei poeti. Nice live piano in a relaxed atmosphere, and 2 lovely barmen.

Off at last to diner at 8:45. A change of seating has left us at a table of our own. Well, I've read mixed reviews about MSC food. All I can say is 5 courses didn't let me down. Mussels to start, followed by soup, risotto and cod for main. Lemonchello (sp) cheesecake for dessert is a triumph.*

A nightcap now and then off to bed!

Good review .Thank you. I cruised Costa Magica as well but I think she is bigger that Poesia:confused: Am I wrong?

papcx ... well done for doing a live review we will keep an eye on it because we are doing a TA on Poesia in November from Barcelona, one suprise was that you mentioned a dry dock after your cruise... any chance at some point you could find out what is being done ?

Goldenbonny .... Poesia is around 92,500 tons while Magica is around 102,500 tons, so Magica is slighty bigger.

As this is the Poesia's last cruise before drydock I was a little worried things may be let slide, well not so far.*

Poesia was last in drydock in 2010. Did you mean repositioning by any chance? It is moving to Florida soon to handle the Caribbean. We will be on it in December 2012.

Poesia was last in drydock in 2010. Did you mean repositioning by any chance? It is moving to Florida soon to handle the Caribbean. We will be on it in December 2012.

Poesia doesn't make its way across the pond until it leaves Portugal on Nov 16th makes its first stop to Fort lauderdale on Nov 27th

Still has 5 scheduled trips in the mediterranean to do before it comes over. Maybe the Sept 28th 11 night sailing has been cancelled for some reason.

Heck did they ever make permanent repairs from the grounding and hitting of the dock in the caribbean last season?

Poesia doesn't make its way across the pond until it leaves Portugal on Nov 16th makes its first stop to Fort lauderdale on Nov 27th

Still has 5 scheduled trips in the mediterranean to do before it comes over. Maybe the Sept 28th 11 night sailing has been cancelled for some reason.

Heck did they ever make permanent repairs from the grounding and hitting of the dock in the caribbean last season?

From memory they did cancel a cruise or 2 and it is forma general overhaul and sort out the damage done in the Caribbean last season.

Irishman .... Poesia makes a stop at Barcelona and Casablanca before it stops at Madeira on its Transatlantic crossing, the first stop is Barbados on the other side followed by Guadaloupe, St Thomas and Freeport before Port Everglades .... :)

Edited by sidari

18.09. Tues.

Arrived inCivitavecchia @ 6AM. Little bit of ship vibration as we docked but just rolled over and went back to sleep. (We worked out we'd been up 19 hours altogether Mon and I'd slept crap Sun night because I was excited /nervous about flights.)

Had breakfast booked for 9:45 - 10:00 but turned up 10 min early (good job it wasn't any earlier than that nudge nudge, wink wink.)

Breakfast on the balcony over lookingCivitavecchia. It's a hard life.*

Looked through the MSC info folder (yawn) and "discussed" our excursions. How I didn't throw DW over the balcony I don't know! Eventually agreed / decided on excursions before off to lunch.

Ate in le Fontane restaurant which is nice. Had chicken in breadcrumbs which was good.

Then we headed into Civitavecchia for a walk around. Free shuttle buses to and from port gates.Civitavecchia its self has very little to see. I'll let people make their own minds up about it.

Back on ship for a cocktail (pina-coladda) an ice cream (lemon) and some pizza Then handing in our passports for immigration. *Now I don't find queuing for half an hour to spent 30 seconds handing in my passport a good use of my holiday time. Why didn't they take it off me yesterday when I embarked?

Anyway another cocktail (mojito) as we waited to set sail. Unfortunately a passenger had to be taken off on medical grounds and we were delayed for an hour. So sad to see an elderly gentleman have to end his holiday (with 6 members of his family) especially as they were left on the dock side as we sailed off.*

Change for dinner. Again very good. I had warm Mediterranean seafood salad, rice and pea soup, rissoto (again) and fish with Lemon bread crumb (which was the only let down. Not bad just not very good)

A walk on deck and the appearance if all those cleaners again.*

Went to the Pigalle lounge for a drink and watched a good live band. Dancing on the floor included a couple who must have been professional because they were brilliant. They even did a solo dance! *

When they finished we went to the Zebra bar. Unfortunately the couple singing were less than professional. Listened to a couple then off to bed.*

Another fantastic day!

Probably won't get much Internet unroll Eygpt now so I'll put more ship info next post (and less my diary)

In other news.*

Magica is bigger than the Poesia -not in my memory but Wikipedia knows more than I do.*

The dry dock is for general repairs - probably from the run aground. The crew (so far) don't know of any changes - they don't need to change anything. Next cruise (from memory) is TA from Genoa on Nov 11th.*

Irishman .... Poesia makes a stop at Barcelona and Casablanca before it stops at Madeira on its Transatlantic crossing, the first stop is Barbados on the other side followed by Guadaloupe, St Thomas and Freeport before Port Everglades .... :)

my point is its Portugal stop is the last one before 5 days at sea to come over.

I was referring to first time at FLL its home port for the winter season not first stop after coming across the pond.

Edited by Irishman45