Embarkation Mariners Lunch

big green

Our first cruise on HAL was a Baltic 12 day on the Rotterdam out of Copenhagen. We had been traveling for a while and thought it would be nice to relax and have a nice lunch with no time constraint. So we went into the MDR and had lunch. At the time we didn't know you were supposed to be a Mariner. It was a nice time, decent food, and that relaxed ambience you get on the HAL ships. The salmon is good most of the time.

They always do a photo with all Medallion holders with Captain and Hotel Manager.

Those with Copper all have a group photo with Captain and Hotel Manager.

Those with Silver, Gold and Platinum the same.

Always? We've been on Veendam and Maasdam cruises since we got our Copper, and never even got an invite to a medal presentation ceremony on either one.

Always? We've been on Veendam and Maasdam cruises since we got our Copper, and never even got an invite to a medal presentation ceremony on either one.
Like you "always" hasn't been our experience. What I've encountered is a pre-brunch gathering of the 4-star Mariners (starting at 200 days vs. 100 for the copper). It is invitation only, sometimes with names checked as you enter. Last cruise I was with a friend rather than DH. She, as a one or two star (I can't remember) wasn't invited with me - VERY tacky on HAL's part. Even at these I've only seen photos done for those receiving their medallions or those with a very high number of days. I'm not a 'photo person' so it doesn't bother me at all, but for someone expecting to "always" get a group pic after getting their copper, they could very well be disappointed.

Same here Carol - we've been on two cruises since we got ours (and yes, I was 4* on both - DH was 4* on the second) and we received no invitation either. You are not alone;)

Well, then,

I will edit and state it thus:

WE have always had our photos taken with Captain and Hotel Manager wearing our Medallions and those photos have been delivered to our cabin mailbox.

This has happened to US on Maasdam, Ryndam, Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Noordam, Westerdam, Oosterdam, Volendam and those are the only ships I recall we have sailed since the new Mariners Program was instituted....... new as in the four categories of Medallions. The previous program was only Silver, Gold and Platinum.

It is true that Copper Medallion holders are not always invited to the pre Brunch reception if there are a great many of them on a given cruise.

We already had our Silver Medallions when they brought in the new program and we were, effectively, demoted. We went to the first Mariner Party in the new Program wearing Silver but left wearing Copper. :rolleyes: When the Captain gave it to me and congratulated me, I asked why he was congratulating me for just having demoted me. :eek: He was speechless as he did not yet fully understand the new program. When I saw him later, he stopped me and explained he inquired what I meant and apologized. :D We quickly had the few extra days we needed to again qualify for Silver and never missed any Mariner Receptions from being Silver and up.

So, I shall speak only for DH and myself. We have always had photos taken and I have all of them in a neat collection and they are about our favorite momentos from all our cruises.

I am sorry not every Medallion holder has had that nice experience.

Well, then,

I will edit and state it thus:

WE have always had our photos taken with Captain and Hotel Manager wearing our Medallions and those photos have been delivered to our cabin mailbox.

This has happened to US on Maasdam, Ryndam, Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Noordam, Westerdam, Oosterdam, Volendam and those are the only ships I recall we have sailed since the new Mariners Program was instituted....... new as in the four categories of Medallions. The previous program was only Silver, Gold and Platinum.

It is true that Copper Medallion holders are not always invited to the pre Brunch reception if there are a great many of them on a given cruise.

We already had our Silver Medallions when they brought in the new program and we were, effectively, demoted. We went to the first Mariner Party in the new Program wearing Silver but left wearing Copper. :rolleyes: When the Captain gave it to me and congratulated me, I asked why he was congratulating me for just having demoted me. :eek: He was speechless as he did not yet fully understand the new program. When I saw him later, he stopped me and explained he inquired what I meant and apologized. :D We quickly had the few extra days we needed to again qualify for Silver and never missed any Mariner Receptions from being Silver and up.

So, I shall speak only for DH and myself. We have always had photos taken and I have all of them in a neat collection and they are about our favorite momentos from all our cruises.

I am sorry not every Medallion holder has had that nice experience.

Appreciate it that you have taken the time to explain your experience, Sail.

Unfortuntately some ships (meaning the Captain and Hotel Manager persumably) have different ideas as to the "program".

I can see why there would be variation in how the 4 star party is done, but really, not recognizing the Platinum, Gold, Silver? Not recognizing the high Mariner on the cruise? Not gracious. Not sincere. Not a Signature of Excellence attitude. Not in sync with the "valued Mariner" label they use repeatedly.

The Mariner Society would be well advised to have a more consistent policy. That would enhance their program.

Appreciate it that you have taken the time to explain your experience, Sail.

Unfortuntately some ships (meaning the Captain and Hotel Manager persumably) have different ideas as to the "program".

I can see why there would be variation in how the 4 star party is done, but really, not recognizing the Platinum, Gold, Silver? Not recognizing the high Mariner on the cruise? Not gracious. Not sincere. Not a Signature of Excellence attitude. Not in sync with the "valued Mariner" label they use repeatedly.

The Mariner Society would be well advised to have a more consistent policy. That would enhance their program.

I fully agree that is not acceptable and is actually rude.

I would definitely speak with Mariner's Society were we to be on a cruise where Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion holders had no special moment for a photo and a quick word with the Captain and Hotel Manager. It is part of every cruise and if every other Captain and Hotel Manager in the fleet is having the small reception, without good excuse, all should be doing it IMO (I add - I do understand if they sometimes do not include Copper holders when they have 100 and more aboard. There have been a few cruises when there simply were too many to fit in Explorer's Lounge with any sort of comfort and it would be very time consuming. They have to get everyone moving along and into Brunch as there would be two seatings.)

Not all of the Captains and/or Hotel Managers go to lunch or host a table and that is fine but IMO it is not fine to ignore their Medallion Holders.

I would definitely speak with Mariner's Society were we to be on a cruise where Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion holders had no special moment for a photo and a quick word with the Captain and Hotel Manager. It is part of every cruise and if every other Captain and Hotel Manager in the fleet is having the small reception, without good excuse, all should be doing it IMO (I add - I do understand if they sometimes do not include Copper holders when they have 100 and more aboard. There have been a few cruises when there simply were too many to fit in Explorer's Lounge with any sort of comfort and it would be very time consuming. They have to get everyone moving along and into Brunch as there would be two seatings.)

Not all of the Captains and/or Hotel Managers go to lunch or host a table and that is fine but IMO it is not fine to ignore their Medallion Holders.

Whu do yo hijack threads with off topics--if you want start your own thread-

read the cruise critic guidelines as posted by Laura on hi jacking.

BG

Agreed. Drifting naturally, and someone posting to intentionally "disrupt" by hijacking a discussion are two totally separate things. We have guidelines regarding disruption; I've now updated them to include intentional hijacking of discussions. Read more here: Disruption

Laura

This thread is now in drift mode. Just about all threads do it after a while. That's what Laura was agreeing to in the quote. Sometimes they snap back to the oiginal topic, and sometimes not. ;)

read the cruise critic guidelines as posted by Laura on hi jacking.

BG

Agreed. Drifting naturally, and someone posting to intentionally "disrupt" by hijacking a discussion are two totally separate things. We have guidelines regarding disruption; I've now updated them to include intentional hijacking of discussions. Read more here: Disruption

Laura

This is a drift and not an intentional disrupt - converstations happen - you already started a thread and were told as much - really, :confused: seriously:confused: sometimes you can learn more on a thread drift than you did in the original conversation (which was already posted on your hijacking thead by another member). relax, breathe and enjoy life:)

The op that hi jacked this thread does it quite frequently on this board bringing up subects that have nothing to do with the thread---just look at the posts they do everyday on almost every thread--IMOP this is intentional drift by this OP.

BG

The op that hi jacked this thread does it quite frequently on this board bringing up subects that have nothing to do with the thread---just look at the posts they do everyday on almost every thread--IMOP this is intentional drift by this OP.

BG

Too funny - how can an OP (who started the thread) hijack their own thread:p :D everyone is entitled to their opinion of course:)

edited to say- OP stands for Original Poster I do believe!

Too funny - how can an OP (who started the thread) hijack their own thread:p :D everyone is entitled to their opinion of course:)

edited to say- OP stands for Original Poster I do believe!

You know who I mean--the poster who is hi jacking the tread---and has to post on almost every thread every day.

Bg

Thanks, Sail. Do you think that the problem with some ships is that they consider the Star Program as the legitimate one and the Medallion Program as something of less importance?

The last cruise there were about a dozen invited to the Piano Bar part of Mix, squeezed into the small back area, given a drink, one Copper handed out. Then off to the DR. 10 minutes tops. I know there were one Gold couple and at least one Silver couple - both totally ignored.

If our next cruise (Zaandam, tomorrow) is a repeat of the last cruise as far as the Mariner 4 star reception goes, I think I will take your advice and write the Mariner Society and ask why they ignore their Medallion holders at these events.

Archived