Nothing to do with Cruising at all, but I trust you guys :)

Northerncheapo

Hello!

Although I only have 19 days under my belt with SS, I've spent enough time on this board to get the idea that we're mostly 'like minded' people in our travel preferences.

Next year is the big 5-0 for me and I am looking for a Silversea experience on land. I was thinking a destination spa perhaps in California or Arizona for 5 nights or so. Not opposed to the islands, but it's all looking very 'Sandals' to me and not my cup of tea.

If you have any thoughts or opinions of places that would meet SS standards on land that you think I should consider, can you please email me at northerncheapo@hotmail.com so that I don't clog this board.

I know, I know, I should go over to that 'other' site that offers advice for land travel, but they're not nearly as nice as y'all.

Thanks in advance!

Anita

Hello!

Although I only have 19 days under my belt with SS, I've spent enough time on this board to get the idea that we're mostly 'like minded' people in our travel preferences.

Next year is the big 5-0 for me and I am looking for a Silversea experience on land. I was thinking a destination spa perhaps in California or Arizona for 5 nights or so. Not opposed to the islands, but it's all looking very 'Sandals' to me and not my cup of tea.

If you have any thoughts or opinions of places that would meet SS standards on land that you think I should consider, can you please email me at northerncheapo@hotmail.com so that I don't clog this board.

I know, I know, I should go over to that 'other' site that offers advice for land travel, but they're not nearly as nice as y'all.

Thanks in advance!

Anita

Look into the Sonoma Mission Inn in California, it's right in the heart of the wine country, and a short drive into San Francisco.

Have been to the Sonoma Mission Inn several yrs ago, and it was quite nice indeed. We did a little wine tour through the area.

I am figuring from your remarks that you are wanting to stay in the US at some sort of spa type place, but if not, I would recommend the Amalfi coast. Yes, you can go there on a cruise, but we stayed for several days in Positano a few years ago. One of my favorite vacations. You can hope over to Capri for a day, and you can tour up and down the coast.

LOL...we are so on the same page! We are doing Napa in May, including Sonomo AND the Italian coast is on our radar for April (tag along for business thing with DH). How funny is that?

My birthday is in November, so I am looking for somewhere 'warmer' which is why I was thinking USA or the islands.

Mr. Luxury, thank you for the link, that looks awesome...I may email you with some questions :)

Thanks again, everyone.

Has anyone done Peter's Island or the like?

Hi Anita! I can vouch for Post Ranch Inn. Super special place.

And, while I haven't been to Peter Island myself, friends have and RAVED about it.

Lastly, knowing that your time is short (5 nights), I would also suggest you consider Four Seasons, Punta Mita and it's stunning location, or for a radically different, but incredibly dramatic experience, amangiri. I promise, amangiri has one of the most unique settings in the world with a level of peacefulness that is beyond compare.

Wherever you end up celebrating, have a fantastic birthday!

Stumblefoot, Stumblefoot, Stumblefoot...what have you done suggesting Amangiri! That place looks AMAZING and yes, different. Certainly caught my eye, thank you!

Mr. Lux, thank you for Napa recommendations which we will take into consideration for our seperate trip (not my 50th) in May. We live in Toronto and we are flying to Banff on Oct 26 to meet with friends/clients of my husband for a planning session for Napa in May. These friends/clients are very much into wine and do Napa frequently, so I'm letting him take the lead on helping plan our trip for May.

Between you me and the lamp post, I was really disappointed to have clients 'invite' themselves to Napa with us as I was wanting Napa to be the '50 celebration' so I had to change gears and plan something else. Although 'friends' of my husband, they are still clients and that means me behaving myself and watching my p's and q's,...not my idea of a birthday celebration. However, I will be grateful for clients 'in the know' about Napa. I will bring the suggestions from here to our planning meeting in Banff next month. Thank you!!!

I would like to thank everyone for the awesome recommendations posted here and emailed to me, I do appreciate it!! Came to the conclusion that these destination spas and lovely resorts are not inexpensive and it begs the question...why don't I just book another cruise. LOL LOL

Thanks again, everyone, and I so appreciate not being 'slammed' for asking a non-cruise related question :)

Thanks, Beach Bum! I've already spoken with them and they're in the running :) Appreciate the recommendation for someone who's been there and done that, thank you.

Been researching Hawaii...you know, it was just too good to pass up saying "Hawaii 5-0" for my 50th,lol. Have to say, it's not really turning my crank, but i'm early in my research.

Miraval is wonderful. They just finished some construction, I believe. You might want to check on that.

Personally, I have found the Sonoma Mission Inn a bit tired.

Le Solage (Calistoga) and Bardessano (Yountville) are very nice--both different styles.

The Four Season Hualalai is the place to go on the Big Island of Hawaii.

In Ravello, Italy, I would suggest the Palazzo Sasso.

Glad I could be of service! My specialty is temptation. Besides, one's 50th birthday only comes once.

Possibly not. If you live to be 100, you can celebrate your second 50th. (Of course you may not remember it is your second 50th...I can say that because on his 100th birthday, my father hadn't a clue)

Love the looks of Amargiri in Utah...might be on my list.

Archived