Reciprocity Fee for Argentina

ceba

I have a website for our Antarctic cruise and have done quite a bit of research on this. As part of that, I found this thread which is the first time I was able to find enough information to actually see an "official" message. You can click on Immigration Information on the home page to see my conclusions and references.

From what I can gather, it is better to consider the options of validity as "single entry" or "multiple entry for x years (or life of the passport)". I do not know for a fact what triggers the time period. Is it time of purchase or first use?

I agree with dr__dawggy that the Argentina fee is good for 10 years for US citizens and I am pretty sure that the one for Chile is good for the life of your passport. I wonder if they put a sticker in your passport for advance payments or if you just need to keep the receipt you got.

For Canadians that have the option, they can buy only the single entry version if they are confident they will not be flying back to Buenos Aires in the future. If they buy the multiple entry version, they may return as often as they like for 5 years.

It's nice to know that the US government is not the only one capable of sending out confusing information. According to the statement on the US Embassy site, the advance payment option is "added" but the TAM indicates that you will be turned away if you haven't paid it. It is hard for me to believe that a government would turn away a tourist that is willing to pay a fee and spend money in their country just because they no longer want to collect the fee at time of arrival. I'm sure we will hear about it on Cruise Critic before the end of the year if it happens.

So from reading all these posts I will need the following for our trip where we fly from US to Chile then board ship to Argentina. We will fly within Argentina before flying back to US from Argentina....Only the Chile fee. Am I correct that I will not also have to pay for this new Argentina fee?

So from reading all these posts I will need the following for our trip where we fly from US to Chile then board ship to Argentina. We will fly within Argentina before flying back to US from Argentina....Only the Chile fee. Am I correct that I will not also have to pay for this new Argentina fee?

You are correct. You will enter Agnina via ship and no reciprocity fee is collected at the port , for domestic flights, or international departures...unless rules are changed before your cruise. Fwiw, the fee is not new for Argentina. Only the method of payment has changed.

Not diffiult to imagine a country that would turn away a tourist wanting to spend money if they have not jumped through proper hoops. Several come to mind; the US being one of them. And reciprosity can be taken to the same limit that the US takes. Brazil requires the visa for US citizens as well as the money. UK passport holders pay nothing for Brazil or Argentina. Might not be too long until Argentina requires the visa for US citizens. US raises the visa fee an SA countries raise the reciposity fee. Now at least we won't have to worry about a guy at EZE not liking a particular $50 or $100 bill because it doesn't pass his smell test for counterfeit.

I've said it a zillion times and I'll say it again -- I love Cruise Critic!

We'll be flying to Buenos Aires in a few months, the first leg of an Antarctic trip. I haven't heard about this new payment system from either our airline or our tour operator, so good thing I saw it on here. (Now, the trip is a few months off, so perhaps either the airline or tour operator will be sending something out...)

Anyway, thanks again, CC! :)

I've said it a zillion times and I'll say it again -- I love Cruise Critic!

We'll be flying to Buenos Aires in a few months, the first leg of an Antarctic trip. I haven't heard about this new payment system from either our airline or our tour operator, so good thing I saw it on here. (Now, the trip is a few months off, so perhaps either the airline or tour operator will be sending something out...)

Anyway, thanks again, CC! :)

I agree. Often, CC keeps us on the cutting edge of information. So grateful for fellow contributors who are in the know and willing to share it!:)

Regarding fees/taxes:

If you want less of something, tax it.

If you want more of something, subsidize it.

I wonder how this works with tourism?

Tourism is definitely off in Argentina. Hard to say whether the drop off is related more to the reciprocity fee or out of control inflation. I suspect the fee has not helped but the primary reason for the drop is because Argentina is no longer a bargain destination.

I remember going ot Argentina ten years ago and having reverse sticker shock. Everything was so cheap we couldn't believe it. Have been back several times and it keeps getting more expensive even though the exchange rate is better. Am going again in December so I must like it there.

I remember going ot Argentina ten years ago and having reverse sticker shock. Everything was so cheap we couldn't believe it. Have been back several times and it keeps getting more expensive even though the exchange rate is better. Am going again in December so I must like it there.

Argentina's economy goes through predictable boom-bust cycles every 10 years or so. If you keep going back, you are certain to find everything cheap once again. Maybe even before the next cruise season begins.

Those cheap periods were caused either by rampant inflation (1980s) or sudden devaluation (early 2000s). Not sure if and when another bout will come about.

Inflation has been running between 20% and 30% per year for several years, a rate Argentina cannot sustain long term. The government has attempted to maintain the value of their peso by limiting access to dollars by locals and by setting the exchange rate at an artificially low rate of exchange. The disparity between the "black market" rate and the official rate is at least 25%.

These conditions suggest Argentina is ripe for a correction...not as severe as the devastating crash in the early 2000's, but enough to lower prices.

I have a website for our Antarctic cruise and have done quite a bit of research on this. As part of that, I found this thread which is the first time I was able to find enough information to actually see an "official" message. You can click on Immigration Information on the home page to see my conclusions and references.

From what I can gather, it is better to consider the options of validity as "single entry" or "multiple entry for x years (or life of the passport)". I do not know for a fact what triggers the time period. Is it time of purchase or first use?

I agree with dr__dawggy that the Argentina fee is good for 10 years for US citizens and I am pretty sure that the one for Chile is good for the life of your passport. I wonder if they put a sticker in your passport for advance payments or if you just need to keep the receipt you got.

For Canadians that have the option, they can buy only the single entry version if they are confident they will not be flying back to Buenos Aires in the future. If they buy the multiple entry version, they may return as often as they like for 5 years.

It's nice to know that the US government is not the only one capable of sending out confusing information. According to the statement on the US Embassy site, the advance payment option is "added" but the TAM indicates that you will be turned away if you haven't paid it. It is hard for me to believe that a government would turn away a tourist that is willing to pay a fee and spend money in their country just because they no longer want to collect the fee at time of arrival. I'm sure we will hear about it on Cruise Critic before the end of the year if it happens.

Can someone help me to understand this scenario?

As a Canadian going to take a Princess cruise from BA to Los Angeles. The ship will stop at multiple Argentina ports along the way. Is a one-time entry reciprocity fee OK?

Can someone help me to understand this scenario?

As a Canadian going to take a Princess cruise from BA to Los Angeles. The ship will stop at multiple Argentina ports along the way. Is a one-time entry reciprocity fee OK?

The stops along the way would not require the fee. It is only needed if you are flying into the country (and for now, only when flying into Buenos Aires). If you are confident that you won't be going back to Argentina and flying in, then the single entry should be sufficient.

OK, I think I understand this. This is my scenario. We are arriving in BA by cruise ship. Leaving the ship for a 3 day excursion to Iguazu Falls arranged by the cruise line. Will fly from BA to the Argentine side of the Falls (domestic Argentine flight). Return from the Brazilian side to fly to Rio De Janiero Brazil to rejoin the ship. Yes I know I need the Brazilian visa but no Argentina Recipricocity fee? Since the flight is from BA to another location in Argentina (domestic flight) and Brazil side airport to Rio (domestic Brazil flight).

OK, I think I understand this. This is my scenario. We are arriving in BA by cruise ship. Leaving the ship for a 3 day excursion to Iguazu Falls arranged by the cruise line. Will fly from BA to the Argentine side of the Falls (domestic Argentine flight). Return from the Brazilian side to fly to Rio De Janiero Brazil to rejoin the ship. Yes I know I need the Brazilian visa but no Argentina Recipricocity fee? Since the flight is from BA to another location in Argentina (domestic flight) and Brazil side airport to Rio (domestic Brazil flight).

Under the present rules, you are correct. However, the move to electronic collection of the reciprocity fee makes it easier for Argentina to broaden the requirement beyond the two Buenos Aires Airports to include all points of entry to the country...so watch for updates.

Archived