walk-up walking tours in Venice

Annabanana3

We are staying Venice for two night pre cruise and would like to a guided walking tour! Do we need to prebook this or are there some places where you can walk up just prior to or shortly before the start of a tour and join them? I don't know what to expect while in Venice and don't want to lock ourselves in to something. Thanks in advance!

Venice is so very easy to do on your own.

My recommendation would be to plan to do it on your own and if you change your mind just speak with the concierge in the hotel and they can book you a tour if that is what you would desire.

The fun part of Venice is doing at your own pace and walking up all of the little side streets where you will end up in small little areas and see some amazing things.

Keith

We are staying Venice for two night pre cruise and would like to a guided walking tour! Do we need to prebook this or are there some places where you can walk up just prior to or shortly before the start of a tour and join them? I don't know what to expect while in Venice and don't want to lock ourselves in to something. Thanks in advance!

I think Keith's plan is a very good one, because as a first-timer only there for a very short time there's plenty you'll want to see that's easy to do on your own and at your own pace. You can't do more than scratch the surface in 2 nights and as long as you enjoy every minute (which you will) that's as good as anyone can do. As 'you don't know what to expect' and in case it's of interest or help I made these from a couple of days in July :

The Grand Canal (Piazzale Roma - San Marco)

Great fun and arguably free if you buy a 24 hour vap ticket :)

The Doge's Palace

Maybe book the Secret Itineraries Tour to take you to places I on a regular ticket couldn't go in here ?

Piazza San Marco

Views of Venice

This one features areas not covered by the others, and includes the gondolas, a quick visit to Murano, the sail-out from the Giudecca canal and (at the end) St Mark's Square by night.

All the best, Tony

Thanks for the replies! By "I don"t know what to expect", I meant that I'm not sure how tired we will be as we have an overnight flight. I guess it depends on how well we sleep on the plane. I don't think it would be fun to do a walking tour with no sleep. Your both right about just strolling around and taking it all in. Thnaks again.

anne-marie

I think Keith's plan is a very good one, because as a first-timer only there for a very short time there's plenty you'll want to see that's easy to do on your own and at your own pace. You can't do more than scratch the surface in 2 nights and as long as you enjoy every minute (which you will) that's as good as anyone can do. As 'you don't know what to expect' and in case it's of interest or help I made these from a couple of days in July :

The Grand Canal (Piazzale Roma - San Marco)

Great fun and arguably free if you buy a 24 hour vap ticket :)

The Doge's Palace

Maybe book the Secret Itineraries Tour to take you to places I on a regular ticket couldn't go in here ?

Piazza San Marco

Views of Venice

This one features areas not covered by the others, and includes the gondolas, a quick visit to Murano, the sail-out from the Giudecca canal and (at the end) St Mark's Square by night.

All the best, Tony

Wow, Tony!

Your videos are AMAZING. Thanks for the sharing them and posting the links.

We were in Venice last summer and your videos brought back wonderful memories.

In addition to the obvious landmarks, mentioned by others...there is the wonderful adventure of randomly roaming thru the streets to see the shops and wares offered.

Our overall impression of Venice was that it is a huge, fabulous flea market set in REALLY old (and historic) buildings.

We'll go back. :D

Archived