Saint John: Are reversing falls worth it? Can you walk?

I'll be in Saint John on Oct. 3. We were planning on doing that day on foot on our own, possibly including a jet boat tour of the falls.

It turns out the one jet boat tour company we found online closes up shop on Oct. 1, so quite possibly, the only way we'll do that is if we book the ship's excursion.

If we don't do that, is it worth heading over to the reversing falls for a look anyway? I've read a lot of varying reviews here, but it seems like a lot of people say it's not worth it.

We don't dock until 10 a.m. that day, and the predicted low tides are at 8:30 a.m. and 8:53 p.m., while the high tides are forecast for 2:23 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. So we'd really only be able to nab a look during the high tide at 2:30 p.m.

Also, it's unclear to me after a quick look at Google Maps: Can you walk to the falls to observe them, or does that require other transportation?

Thanks,

Jen.

Did the jet boat years ago. It was a cold rainy day and we had a blast. From what I remember, it wasn't all that pretty unless you like large paper mills. We did get to walk around the town and dry off a bit in the mall. I'm not a big excursion guy,must are a giant waste of money but I'd do the jet boat again.

I haven't been either, but will be going later this month. You might want to look into the Big Pink Bus for getting around Saint John. It is a hop-on-hop-off bus (day pass) that supposedly takes you to various points of interest around Saint John. You can ride around at your leisure to see the sights you choose. I think that's what we'll do.

You're smart to check on the tide schedules. The rapids are truly reversed only on the rising high tide. My preliminary research said it's about 4 km outside of town, but you can hike there on the Harbor Passage Walkway.

http://bayoffundy.com/articles/reversing-rapids-st-john/

Hi there - directly from the Saint John area.

the jet boat ride is very popular - it might be worth emailing the operator - I suspect if he is running for the ship he may well offer rides that day.:)

Saint John is very cruise orientated and the operators will bend over backwards most times.

You can walk to reversing falls - it's a long walk but as long as you like walking - you will see some nice things on the way.

Reversing Falls has never thrilled me but many like it. There is an odour there - and depending upon what you plan - there is a nice restaurant there with a view of the falls which many people (including locals) enjoy.

Definitely go at high tide if you are going.

Along with Reversing Falls - there is a very nice horse drawn trolley that takes our cruise visitors around Saint John to see some of the sites.

The city market is very nice and of course, the City will welcome you when you disembark with a pin for the man and a rose for the woman

there are some nice handicrafts as you head into the main part of town. (the port is right at the bottom - so not a long walk).

Saint John is the oldest incorporated City in Canada. It has some nice older buildings (if you're into that kind of thing) - I hope you enjoy your visit here:D

Thanks to all, including the local expert, Kazu, for the tips and feedback. My husband and I are still undecided on whether we'll visit the falls if we can't get on the jet boat ourselves, but we at least have more fodder for the decision.

FWIW, I also checked out a time lapse video of the falls online. While impressive, it seems like the best way to experience the reversing effect is over a full day.

Some of the buildings and structures in the city, including the Imperial Theater and market, indeed sound great. And I know we'll be eating some poutine or seafood -- or both! -- while in Saint John.

Jen.

We were just there and booked with Shore Excursions Group but when wife got sick as soon as we got on the bus we got off and missed the trip. Sorry we can't help. Even though we bought the tour companies insurance they don't refund if you are not the one who is sick and the one who is sick must get documentation from the Dr. Don't waste money on ins or pick another company.

We walked to Reversing Falls in 2008. I would estimate the walk at 2 miles. The Harbour Passage is a very nice, level walk right around the harbor. However, once you exit Harbour Passage you're on a busy, industrial highway and walking uphill past factories. I'm glad we did it, but it's not an easy walk. The Falls area itself is nice - while we weren't there to see the Falls in all their glory, there were some nice walking trails.

We've had some great seafood lunches in Saint John - Grannan's, Steamer's, and Big Tide Brewing Company. The latter has some nice microbrews.:cool:

FWIW, I also checked out a time lapse video of the falls online. While impressive, it seems like the best way to experience the reversing effect is over a full day. Jen.

We are just back from Saint John and I agree with you on this. We were able to see the falls at both low and high tide and found it quite awesome. However, if we had only seen one or the other I think some of the wonder would have been lost.

I don't think you need to spend the entire day, just try to be there while the tide is low and again when it is high and it doesn't need to be exactly at low and high but with in an hour or so.

The reversing falls is worth every bit if you get to see it twice, at low tide and high tide. If you decide not to walk you can always flag a taxi and will take you there for $7 from anywhere in the uptown area.

You don't have to hit the tides at its exact time. For high tide you can be there an hr before or after. For low tide about 1.5hrs before/after. For a complete tide schedule go to http://fundytour.com and hit the Tide Schedule tab and select the link for Oct.

In between the high-low tides is what we call slack tide. At this time there is nothing much happening since the ocean and the river are at equal depth level and the water is mostly stagnant other than the whirlpool forming as a result of the clash between the two bodies of water.

The trail to the Reversing Falls is approx 3miles. However, it will not lead you to the main observation deck where all cruise buses and taxis go. You will probably end up by the Reversing Falls restaurant near the train bridge. You may have to ask a local person to direct you to the observation lookout area which is a few mins away from the restaurant.

The trail to the Reversing Falls is approx 3miles. However, it will not lead you to the main observation deck where all cruise buses and taxis go. You will probably end up by the Reversing Falls restaurant near the train bridge. You may have to ask a local person to direct you to the observation lookout area which is a few mins away from the restaurant.

This review says it's about a mile and a half and he also says there are bike rentals. I didn't see them..wish I had:

Destination Expert

for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park

Hi Buffalo!

Not only can you walk, but you definitely should, especially after a week of lounging and overeating on a cruise ship!

The walk is about 1 1/2 miles each way. St. John has built a red brick road (think of the width of the Yellow Brick Road in the land of Oz) from the cruise pier to the bridge over Reversing Falls. It's easy to follow and nicely landscaped. Bicycles can use it too, if someone should be of a mind to ride rather than walking.

A cab would be a last resort for me, and only if a downpour were in progress!

Happy travels,

David

Destination Expert

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154960-i1508-k5686556-Walking_trail_ST_JOHNS_TO_Reversing_Falls-Saint_John_New_Brunswick.html

The distance markers outside the Marco Polo Cruise Terminal. 3.4Km = 2Miles

2116511930107186822S600x600Q85.jpg

The " falls" at high tide. The sea water is flowing up river. the picture was taken from the observation deck below the Split Rock Pub.

2994304580107186822S600x600Q85.jpg

The view from the Split Rock Pub.

2862621490107186822S600x600Q85.jpg

This review says it's about a mile and a half and he also says there are bike rentals. I didn't see them..wish I had:

Destination Expert

Hi Buffalo!

Not only can you walk, but you definitely should, especially after a week of lounging and overeating on a cruise ship!

The walk is about 1 1/2 miles each way. St. John has built a red brick road (think of the width of the Yellow Brick Road in the land of Oz) from the cruise pier to the bridge over Reversing Falls. It's easy to follow and nicely landscaped. Bicycles can use it too, if someone should be of a mind to ride rather than walking.

A cab would be a last resort for me, and only if a downpour were in progress!

Happy travels,

David

Destination Expert

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154960-i1508-k5686556-Walking_trail_ST_JOHNS_TO_Reversing_Falls-Saint_John_New_Brunswick.html

I'm kind of confused on the destination expert here as his other two spots are Iguazu - and if not incorrect - they are in South America:rolleyes:

I think the marker provided in the pic says it all. 2 miles sounds about right to me and it is a nice walk.

For the op - if you are at the City Market - don't forget Lord's Lobster if you like lobster rolls. Quite good with home made fries:)

Steamers which was mentioned earlier is very close to the cruise port:) a bit more expensive, but very, very good:)

The reversing falls is worth every bit if you get to see it twice, at low tide and high tide. If you decide not to walk you can always flag a taxi and will take you there for $7 from anywhere in the uptown area.

We did see it twice on our tour. It still was not impressive to me. They had us go out in the morning for low tide and then when we got back from our tour in the country side, we saw it at high tide and reversing.

I believe that was mentioned and he said yes, he has been in different places LOL.

The marker does say it all. It's a nice walk, we enjoyed looking around and it went fast.

I'm kind of confused on the destination expert here as his other two spots are Iguazu - and if not incorrect - they are in South America

Archived