Komodo Island - Additional Touring Advice

acruisergirl

Our cruise in January is stopping at Komodo, Indonesia from 8AM - 11PM. There are two excursions offered by Azamara: Kampung Komodo Village/Pink Beach and Komodo Dragon Adventure, both can be completed by mid afternoon. We plan to see the dragons but are debating on the second village/beach tour. Does anyone know if there are other tours (sailing, beach treks, etc.) offered at the port. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, Pat

Does anyone know if there are other tours (sailing, beach treks, etc.) offered at the port.
No. Due to the unusual fauna on the island this isn't feasible. On our stop there and on every other one I've read about, you can only go ashore if on a ship's tour or have an approved guide. We also received letters letting us know that if we had open wounds, bleeding gums, or if it was that time of the month for younger women we shouldn't go ashore at all. Really, the landing area for the tenders is just that, there isn't a village there.

No. Due to the unusual fauna on the island this isn't feasible. On our stop there and on every other one I've read about, you can only go ashore if on a ship's tour or have an approved guide. We also received letters letting us know that if we had open wounds, bleeding gums, or if it was that time of the month for younger women we shouldn't go ashore at all. Really, the landing area for the tenders is just that, there isn't a village there.

I read that you could only go ashore on a ship's tour or with an approved guide. I actually was referring to the port where our ship would be docked.

There is no port on Komodo Island. all ships tender to a small beach area,as far as I know. You can only go to the island as part of a ship's tour as it is unsafe to wander about alone. you are certainly not able to swim in the sea (there be dragons!) or even advised not to walk on the beach alone.

We are on an organised private tour with our rollcall. I"m beginning to get cold feet!!!

You'll be fine if you follow the guides' instructions and do as you're told. They are absolutely serious. The guides are brought in from all over Indonesia's park system and they live on their little boats at anchor.

Once on the island, it is a Godforsaken piece of real estate - hot, ugly, but worth visiting once, at least. I haven't thought of a reason to do it twice. From the ship the view of Komodo and other surrounding islands is absolutely lovely. Take the tour, come back and shower, get a cold drink and sit on the deck to enjoy it from a distance.

I read that you could only go ashore on a ship's tour or with an approved guide. I actually was referring to the port where our ship would be docked.

All ships tender, but its a sheltered area & not a problem.

The small area around the pier/market stalls is perfectly safe to browse alone after your accompanied walking tour, though cruise lines may (quite reasonably) insist that you start with a tour.

Sandancer should have no problem with a private guided tour organised with the approval of the "park rangers"

It's perfectly safe. Although there's the occasional attack way up in the hills, or on fishermen, the dragons you'll be taken to are fed & watered, & they're fat lazy over-fed pussycats.

The majority of cruisers get back to their ship alive ;)

I don't know of any significant draw to the island other than the dragons, so I can't see a great deal of value in doing two tours. But mebbe I'm wrong.

Our call was only 1/2 day - and that was plenty (small ship, no lines)

Strange that a cruise should visit for a full day & evening :confused: - the sort of time-scale that would benefit visits to many other destinations.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

We visited Komodo Island in 2011. Yes, you have to do a ships tour.

Here are a couple of photos of the Dragons.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5R-4yj8t0HI/UFcRCzJAaZI/AAAAAAAASdY/gC9Q3TJuu3o/s1600/DSC_0025.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7Tqu3CsXkrY/UFcRFjePmlI/AAAAAAAASdg/d47Pf-lWwFY/s1600/P1060630.jpg

I would just do the tour to see the dragons. Afterwards you should be able to walk the area before you exit where the locals sell items to maybe pick up something such as a shirt.

It can be hot there but also if it rains the walkway can be muddy so be sure to bring along shoes that you don't mind if they get dirty. Put on plenty of sunscreen and wear a hat.

Keith

We visited Komodo Island in 2011. Yes, you have to do a ships tour.

Here are a couple of photos of the Dragons.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5R-4yj8t0HI/UFcRCzJAaZI/AAAAAAAASdY/gC9Q3TJuu3o/s1600/DSC_0025.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7Tqu3CsXkrY/UFcRFjePmlI/AAAAAAAASdg/d47Pf-lWwFY/s1600/P1060630.jpg

snip...Keith

Nice pix, we might see the dragons in Taronga Zoo Sydney

Sandy in Spain

Our cruise in January is stopping at Komodo, Indonesia from 8AM - 11PM. There are two excursions offered by Azamara: Kampung Komodo Village/Pink Beach and Komodo Dragon Adventure, both can be completed by mid afternoon. We plan to see the dragons but are debating on the second village/beach tour. Does anyone know if there are other tours (sailing, beach treks, etc.) offered at the port. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, Pat

Hi Pat,

We are also going in January. We're on the Milleniumm, 1/20. We are also in LBI. Are you on our sailing? My email address is deniseavagliano@aol.com

Denise

I thought a few more photos would be of help.

Tender drop off.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7ov6JtV6C-M/UGAWJa6NFVI/AAAAAAAASe0/U_DjgNaE-e4/s1600/DSC_0001.jpg

Map of the walking trails.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7mV1g7V-zqM/UGAWMTKdCtI/AAAAAAAASe8/7U3cYW1iipg/s1600/P1060625.jpg

You walk on dirt paths through the bush and sometimes left and right you may see some dragons.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JYL06JEr89o/UGAWOtvRszI/AAAAAAAASfE/Gp3yGAcGIx0/s1600/DSC_0019.jpg

The guides don’t have guns. This is what they use to keep the dragons back.

Keith

Ships do not dock there.

It is a tender port.

It is a very small island.

You know that, I know that and told her in post #2, but from what the OP posted in #3 she believes that her ship will actually dock at a port there. I'm hoping she can enlighten us as to the location of this port.

Hi Pat,

We are also going in January. We're on the Milleniumm, 1/20. We are also in LBI. Are you on our sailing? My email address is deniseavagliano@aol.com

Denise

Hi Denise,

We're also on the Millennium Jan 20 cruise, as is Elaine (sundancer) who posted above. Why don't you drop by the roll call and introduce yourself and if you'd like to be included, you can be added to the list of passengers. We're a very active group!

Mary

You know that, I know that and told her in post #2, but from what the OP posted in #3 she believes that her ship will actually dock at a port there. I'm hoping she can enlighten us as to the location of this port.

It appears that you may have enlightened me.:o

After checking my itinerary you are correct it is a tender port. What still puzzles me is why our ship will be there from 8 AM - 11 PM.

Pat

I have no idea. Could be a misprint or they are in no rush to get to the next port.

Hopefully, the photos I have posted give you a sense of what to expect.

Keith

It appears that you may have enlightened me.:o
That's OK. We're trying to help you know what to expect. Before we went, we both thought Komodo Island would be lush, kind of like a jungle. Surfsidemary hit the nail on the head:
Once on the island, it is a Godforsaken piece of real estate - hot, ugly, but worth visiting once, at least. I haven't thought of a reason to do it twice. From the ship the view of Komodo and other surrounding islands is absolutely lovely. Take the tour, come back and shower, get a cold drink and sit on the deck to enjoy it from a distance.
I would recommend following her advice. ;)

All ships tender, but its a sheltered area & not a problem.

The small area around the pier/market stalls is perfectly safe to browse alone after your accompanied walking tour, though cruise lines may (quite reasonably) insist that you start with a tour.

Sandancer should have no problem with a private guided tour organised with the approval of the "park rangers"

It's perfectly safe. Although there's the occasional attack way up in the hills, or on fishermen, the dragons you'll be taken to are fed & watered, & they're fat lazy over-fed pussycats.

The majority of cruisers get back to their ship alive ;)

I don't know of any significant draw to the island other than the dragons, so I can't see a great deal of value in doing two tours. But mebbe I'm wrong.

Our call was only 1/2 day - and that was plenty (small ship, no lines)

Strange that a cruise should visit for a full day & evening :confused: - the sort of time-scale that would benefit visits to many other destinations.

JB :)

John, I am not sure when you were last there but the Dragons are no longer fed. They used to be fed but that was causing them to get lazy and fat. That is no longer the case. They now must fend for themselves.

Keith

We will be on HA spending 1st Nov at Komoda Island 9am to 3pm.

We were going to take tender ashore then arrange to see the sights.

You will be given either one or two options.

If it is one option it is that to go ashore you must go on the ships tour and you cannot walk the island on your own. By the way, you don't want to walk it on your own.

Second option is that you will have the opportunity to take the tour in the morning and for those who don't want to take the tour they will be allowed to come over later in the day after the official tours are over and sufficient locals can be at the tender drop off area and you will be allowed to go to the nearby area where they sell the various items.

This area has essentially no infrastructure.

Keith

Sorry, I did not arrange the tour. Someone else on our cruise did the hard work. It took some time to arrange and was quite complicated I believe. I am happy to just be a participant and not the organiser on this tour. Suggest you google Komodo tours and see if that brings any results.

Sorry, I did not arrange the tour. Someone else on our cruise did the hard work. It took some time to arrange and was quite complicated I believe. I am happy to just be a participant and not the organiser on this tour. Suggest you google Komodo tours and see if that brings any results.

If you are talking about Komodo Island I just can't imagine what type of tour has been arranged and with who.

Keith