Does Carnival ever let you change your sailing date?

cwnhokie

We sail 2 weeks from today and found out on Friday that the doctor said my dad has about a month to live. He's been battling pancreatic cancer for about a year and a half. They thought the cancer was gone. They still can't find it, but now say that his blood work shows that he has it and it's growing at an incredible rate. We called Carnival yesterday but didn't really get any answers. Other than we could definitely get 25% back if we cancelled by noon today. They may consider moving it up a week or back a month. Anyone had any experience with this?

Sorry to hear about what you're going through. My grandfather passed away due to pancreatic cancer, and the progression was so fast that it caught us by surprise. But at the same time, it was a blessing that he didn't have to endure an extended period of treatments and pain.

About the cruise, technically this wouldn't be considered a "change of dates", but a cancellation and then a new booking made. Under normal circumstances, you will be chaged the applicable cancellation penalties (which as you say, seems to be 75% of what you paid). Also remember, that the more you wait, the higher the penalty, up to 100%. However:

• If you purchased travel insurance, you can cancel your cruise and submit the appropriate forms and supporting documentation. You should receive a 100% refund.

• If you didn't purchase insurance, the best that you can do is to write a letter to Carnival Reservation Solutions department (you can obtain the address from your PVP or TA). Explain in detail the situation. Stick to the facts, keep it short and to the point, and leave emotions out. At their discretion, they may issue a credit for future use, but don't hold your breath for it. They are NOT required to do so. Once in a while you hear from people who have been successful with this method, but it's not very often. It may seem "heartless" that Carnival may be unwilling to issue a credit under your circumstances, but they are trying to protect the integrity of their cancellation policies (not being selective, but applying the same rules to everybody), and also being fair to passengers who purchase travel insurance to protect themselves from situations exactly like this one).

Whatever happens, hang in there...:o

Sorry to hear about what you're going through. My grandfather passed away due to pancreatic cancer, and the progression was so fast that it caught us by surprise. But at the same time, it was a blessing that he didn't have to endure an extended period of treatments and pain.

About the cruise, technically this wouldn't be considered a "change of dates", but a cancellation and then a new booking made. Under normal circumstances, you will be chaged the applicable cancellation penalties (which as you say, seems to be 75% of what you paid). Also remember, that the more you wait, the higher the penalty, up to 100%. However:

• If you purchased travel insurance, you can cancel your cruise and submit the appropriate forms and supporting documentation. You should receive a 100% refund.

• If you didn't purchase insurance, the best that you can do is to write a letter to Carnival Reservation Solutions department (you can obtain the address from your PVP or TA). Explain in detail the situation. Stick to the facts, keep it short and to the point, and leave emotions out. At their discretion, they may issue a credit for future use, but don't hold your breath for it. They are NOT required to do so. Once in a while you hear from people who have been successful with this method, but it's not very often. It may seem "heartless" that Carnival may be unwilling to issue a credit under your circumstances, but they are trying to protect the integrity of their cancellation policies (not being selective, but applying the same rules to everybody), and also being fair to passengers who purchase travel insurance to protect themselves from situations exactly like this one).

Whatever happens, hang in there...:o

Excellent answer! Hope it works. My grandmother and uncle both had pancreatic cancer. Best Wishes to your family. Yes, Hang in there.

Well before final payment we switched from Destiny to Triumph for NYE this year. $100 administrative fee and no problem. Terribly sorry to learn of your situation.

Once you hit final payment that is when you start to receive the penalty for canceling. Even if you change dates you are technically cancelling your original cruise.

I don't know why but it never crossed my mind to buy trip insurance. I wonder if there is any we can buy now. We still want to go, but if something happens the day before we leave that will be tough.

I am really surprised your TA or PVP did not mention it.....

Thanks, from what I understand it would be considered a pre-existing condition. I'm pretty sure he wants us to go, so at this point it doesn't matter, we can wait right up until that morning not to go, so we will visit often and see how things are two weeks from now.

OP,

I do feel badly for you and your father. I hope he makes it through your cruise, if you don't want to cancel now, and I can't imagine being in your place. I think talking to your father and having him decide what you should do, might be the thing to do.

If you don't want to do that, think of what he would want you to do. If your parents are still together, ask you mother what she would suggest. If she is gone, if you have siblings, talk to them. If you are the one to make all arrangements, I know it is hard, but talk to your father's doctor and a funeral home about arrangements. If all is set, you could go on your cruise, albeit very difficult, and if he passes, everything is in place and you can deal with it when you come home.

Having given you the suggestions, I don't know what I would do given the circumstances, but I would probably cancel as I would be worried sick the whole time.

Losing a parent is so hard and I know losing a child would be harder, but I hope I never have to do with the latter. God bless.

In 2009, my family was scheduled to sail out of New Orleans. 2 days before our cruise, my nephew unexpectedly passed away. We immediately contacted Carnival and cancelled our cruise. Mind you, this was on Saturday afternoon and we were scheduled to sail on Monday!! They requested we send proof of the death and we received FULL credit for our next cruise. We had no travel insurance so we were very grateful that Carnival did this for us. Give them a call and see what they will do for you. I am so sorry to hear of the sadness you are going through.

He seemed pretty upbeat today after his doctors appointment. They told him in could be a while. They just don't know. I told him they should go with us. Who know's maybe they will. I haven't come out and specifically said, do you care if we go. But he's been excited for us to go. His wife, her mom (who they live with) and my grandmother have discussed funeral arrangements. We are not super close. My parents separated when I was six, we only see each other maybe 4-5 times a year. Of course it's still hard and I think it will be hardest trying to help my kids understand. Unless something happens the day or two before we leave I think we will be ok going. Today we buried a friend of ours, only 35 with 5 kids ages 11- less than a year. I'm having a much harder time with that loss and maybe that's why I can't even process the news about my dad right now.

We had to change our sailing on the Magic -- booked early saver with no insurance - the new sail date was of comparable price (less, actually) so we ended up paying a change fee of $100 for both of us and got it changed without any issue - booked our original cruise date on line and called Carnival when we had to make the change - granted, it was about two months ago and we sail now on 10/21, but they were very helpful.

1994, my Dad passed away while we were on day 2 of a 7 day cruise, my brother did not tell us until we returned, although I was very upset I know he would have wanted it that way, maybe thats why he paid for our trip in the first place? A final gift????

1994, my Dad passed away while we were on day 2 of a 7 day cruise, my brother did not tell us until we returned, although I was very upset I know he would have wanted it that way, maybe thats why he paid for our trip in the first place? A final gift????

Wow. So sorry. Did they hold off on the funeral until you returned? That would be so difficult. It was very nice of your family to let you enjoy your vacation. I know your Dad would have wanted that. My GrandMother died while I was on a college Europe trip in 1990. We were very close and I missed her funeral. They filmed it for me. It was bittersweet. (Before cellphones and FB, not much communication. We just got a call that she had passed )

• 1 month later...
The thing about name changes is that at least 1 of the original cabin occupants has to stay booked.

What is the reasoning behind this, I wonder. If I couldn't go, seems like it would be reasonable to let my parents go, for example, in my place.

What is the reasoning behind this, I wonder. If I couldn't go, seems like it would be reasonable to let my parents go, for example, in my place.

They couldn't allow people to resell their cruise to other people and potentially make a profit from the transaction.

I don't know why but it never crossed my mind to buy trip insurance. I wonder if there is any we can buy now. We still want to go, but if something happens the day before we leave that will be tough.

Sorry to hear of your dads illness. My brother recently passed, same reason, and it spreads Fast.

Check with whoever you booked your cruise with, its possible you *did* buy trip insurance, some TAs will 'automaticly' add it and then you can cancel befor final payment, so if you did not know about it, this may be the case.. you may have it already.

~that would be a nice surprise~

Good luck on the cruise situration and comfort to your father and family.

They couldn't allow people to resell their cruise to other people and potentially make a profit from the transaction.

You can change to a 3 person room, exchanging pax #2 for a new pax, adding a 3rd and the original is a "no show"

Archived