Saving in food costs on port days

Blucruise25

"I am sure a roll and a slice of cheese is OK."

Ummmm. no. Cheese is not allowed at many ports -- no dairy products, no meat products, no fresh fruit, no fresh vegetables.

Well, all I can do is relate my experience. There are lots of variables. eg. you cannot bring in citrus fruit, but if it is peeled and sectioned and in a baggie, it is OK.

Idea for the frugal traveller..... We know sealed pre-packaged goods are acceptable (depending on the country). When you embark, bring on snack (granola) bars, individual chip servings. little packets of crackers (goldfish)... There's a ton of options. When you get to your port, pack up your pre-packaged goods and head on out and explore.

Are lunchables considered pre-packaged meals?

NO FOOD IS GOING ASHORE WITH ME!!!!! Can we please drop that topic and move on?!

Sorry for the outburst. Consider this an apology to those of you who are truly trying to be helpful to me.

Because there are disagreements regarding what can be taken ashore, trust me that I will most certainly ask what is acceptable before taking anything with me off the ship. I've traveled quite a bit internationally, and in fact, am living in a country other than my passport country right now. Likewise, my husband grew up in Australia, and I understand the need to protect such places by not bringing in unapproved products.

If we could please drop that part of the discussion now, since it seems quite volatile for some, and hold the conversation to locating LOCAL food on a budget, it would be much appreciated. It is our intention to experience the local cuisine - just the more inexpensively priced portion of it!

On our recent Baltic cruise, we were near a shopping center with a grocery at our Copenhagen pre-cruise hotel and did picnic type lunches. In Stockholm we found a local grocery. In Oslo we ate from the farmers stands in the farmer's market.

Typically the places a bit off of the main streets offer better prices (and in many cases better experiences as well). Some of the best places we've found for lunch or snacks have been when we were totally lost!

And when all else fails, grab something quick at the McDonalds or the 7-11 to tide you over and then have a very late lunch when you get back on board.

1) Eat a nice large breakfast

2) Leave the ship as soon as it docks and tour the town/island

3) Take some Fiber 1 bars (the Chocolate and Oatmeal are superb) or some other breakfast/granola bars

4) Go back to the ship for an early lunch around 11:30am

5) After a nice big/quick lunch leave the ship again for afternoon sightseeing

6) Be back to the ship before the designated time (allow for traffic congestion)

7) Have a late afternoon snack in the Lido as the ship leaves port

Totally agree, always eat on the ship.

We know that many people, at the breakfast buffet, make a cheese & meat sandwich on a hard roll, wrap it in a napkin & take off the ship with them. I am not saying you should / or that we have, do / done this, just stating a fact & let the reader take what they want from it. You would be surprised how much of this actually happens.

You would also be surprised at how many of these people end up embarrassed when they are stopped by local autjorities.

Sorry for the outburst. Consider this an apology to those of you who are truly trying to be helpful to me.

Because there are disagreements regarding what can be taken ashore, trust me that I will most certainly ask what is acceptable before taking anything with me off the ship. I've traveled quite a bit internationally, and in fact, am living in a country other than my passport country right now. Likewise, my husband grew up in Australia, and I understand the need to protect such places by not bringing in unapproved products.

Know that you are a new traveler and just understand that people always gets their dander up about something. Sometimes answers just accuse instead of educate, and some really come off as pompous. Most you will meet just aren't like that!

Any time I have done an excursion I have never felt the need to each lunch. I have bought the occasional soft drink . By the time I get back to the boat I'm usually still not very hungry.

Some people, for health reasons, need to ingest food every few hours. What works for you doesn't necessarily work for others. But, that doesn't give them a permit to take food off the ship unless it is acceptable to the host country. If they have a need to eat during their excursions, they must take the responsibility to plan accordingly.

Any time I have done an excursion I have never felt the need to each lunch. I have bought the occasional soft drink . By the time I get back to the boat I'm usually still not very hungry.

We didn't eat lunch in port either and we won't on any other cruise we go on. We took pre-packaged granola bars. As we feel we have paid for all of our meals on board we don't want to spend extra to eat in port. (It's not that we can't afford it or in our budget. It's just the way we think and our lifestyle.) Plus, we either don't eat lunch even when we are home or just a snack. So, that is no big deal for us. In our 'Dailies' on our last cruise there was a note about not taking food in port and we would never do that except for the pre-packaged kind.

Some people, for health reasons, need to ingest food every few hours. What works for you doesn't necessarily work for others. But, that doesn't give them a permit to take food off the ship unless it is acceptable to the host country. If they have a need to eat during their excursions, they must take the responsibility to plan accordingly.

Yes, some people have to eat lunch. So, that is understandable that they would need to know specifically how to handle that situation.

I understand that also, just saying after a fairly substancial breakfast , I'm usually fairly full as was my spouse, They may find that they may not be hungry ,during the day, It's a moot point anyhow. they have stated they were not bringing anything off the ship:)

Just wanted to say that as far as I remember, yrs back when a fella emigrated to Canada he brought with him a european Sausage having been made in his homeland. He went to work right away on a farm and kept eating his dried sausage till he had enough. He threw the little bit that was left to the pigs/animals on the farm. And thats how hoof and mouth desease came about in Canada. As I said this was many yrs ago, but the point is well taken!!

Oatmeal, I am told, has an ability to keep you from getting hungry for quite a while (high glycemic index or something). Eat a hearty breakfast with Oatmeal, and maybe some Greek style yogurt as high protein also slows your morning metabolism.

I remember in my youth, when I was touring Europe and the world on a budget, staying @ B&B's or Youth Hostels, I would totally load up on breakfast. That's the plan.

I welcome the opportunity to be away from food for 4 to 8 hours,

We have stored so many calories that too we some times even skip dinners on the ship.. and have a bowl of soup and an Ice tea... Even when the tours include food, we skip it. We would rather feed our brain.

There comes a point when you realize how much is enough

I can understand if you have a medical condition than requires you to eat but a few granola bars should take care of that.

I welcome the opportunity to be away from food for 4 to 8 hours,

We have stored so many calories that too we some times even skip dinners on the ship.. and have a bowl of soup and an Ice tea... Even when the tours include food, we skip it. We would rather feed our brain.

There comes a point when you realize how much is enough

I can understand if you have a medical condition than requires you to eat but a few granola bars should take care of that.

:) I completely agree. I only gained two pounds on our last cruise and that was because of the cookies :D I'm sure. DH gained four pounds but he has already lost two of them.

i think part of thefun in cruishing is tasting local farec.On onr last med cruise my son insisted we try Greek food in all the ports .We were pleasantlysurprsed in the quality. And freshnessof everything. i thinkdepending where you are you should try lcal food

If for whatever reason you wishnot to ...A good hearty breakfast of eggs and similar filling foods ..will. Keep you till you geta back to the ship

i personally love English breakfasteggs,beans, tomatoes saucage ....after one of. Those i

m good all day

Bon voyage

I am pregnant and so have planned on taking a load of pre packaged Cereal bars. Am hoping that this will be ok. Especially cos we have quite a few very early starts on some of our trips. If I don't eat little and often I get very sick! Was hoping I could take fruit too but from reading this I guess not!

I am pregnant and so have planned on taking a load of pre packaged Cereal bars. Am hoping that this will be ok. Especially cos we have quite a few very early starts on some of our trips. If I don't eat little and often I get very sick! Was hoping I could take fruit too but from reading this I guess not!

Hi, your cereal bars will be fine.....I see you sail tomorrow?

Have a wonderful cruise:)

Lots of people having a general discussion about their views on taking food ashore and expressing those views from a moral high ground.

So, to the OP - the cheapest way of saving money is to make yourself a sandwich and stick it in your back-pack.

I have never done this, but similarly, I have never been stopped, checked or seen anyone else stopped or checked.

If you do get stopped, they will say you are not allowed to take food ashore and put it in the trash. No-one will take you to the brig.

Lots of people having a general discussion about their views on taking food ashore and expressing those views from a moral high ground.

So, to the OP - the cheapest way of saving money is to make yourself a sandwich and stick it in your back-pack.

I have never done this, but similarly, I have never been stopped, checked or seen anyone else stopped or checked.

If you do get stopped, they will say you are not allowed to take food ashore and put it in the trash. No-one will take you to the brig.

Wow - nothing to do with "moral high-ground" has to do with LAWS of the host country and not risking causing massive deconstruction to the host country's agriculture if you introduce a foreign pest. What you just advised the OP to do could cause them to be detained in some countries, levied a large fine (in some countries the fines for this are in the neighborhood of $10,000) as well as potentially devastate a country's agriculture.

Pretty sad that someone would make recommendations such as yours. :mad:

Archived