FCD's - New Terms Begin on Friday

sail7seas

It might be going ship by ship like roll outs often do. But at any rate did they give any kind of break downs in writing?

One of contacts had stated that they thought it was not going into effect till October 1st while another thought it was this next Friday.

I will be very curious if some of the questions asked on the posts above are addressed.

Our FCC made it sound as if it was rolled out on all ships that same day. When we boarded we received the usuall info about booking a future cruise and then a personal invite later from the FCC on board (the Captain's wife). I belive it was on Tuesday we received another sheet of paper with the announcement of the coming changes and that we would need to book before Friday to take advantage of the "old" rules. For us this didn't matter as we can't take enough time away to do more than a 7 to 10 day cruise. We were given the new rules in printed form; however, I just reviewed the papers that I brought home and found that I had discarded the new rules. We booked a 10 day on Friday for the $100pp deposit and the new rules didn't affect that booking...other than if we don't use the deposit within 4 years it will automatically be refunded to our card.

Our FCC made it sound as if it was rolled out on all ships that same day. When we boarded we received the usuall info about booking a future cruise and then a personal invite later from the FCC on board (the Captain's wife). I belive it was on Tuesday we received another sheet of paper with the announcement of the coming changes and that we would need to book before Friday to take advantage of the "old" rules. For us this didn't matter as we can't take enough time away to do more than a 7 to 10 day cruise. We were given the new rules in printed form; however, I just reviewed the papers that I brought home and found that I had discarded the new rules. We booked a 10 day on Friday for the $100pp deposit and the new rules didn't affect that booking...other than if we don't use the deposit within 4 years it will automatically be refunded to our card.

Thanks Mrs Peck, now the one thing you mentioned that would definitely be different is about if not used in 4 years a credit would go back to your card. In the past it was stated they were non-refundable although I have been able to assist in getting them to be extended and or even transferred to a family member that was still actively cruising.

I am getting some additional info...not sure if true but that you can purchase the $100 then if you book a longer voyage just pay the difference of what the reduced deposit would be when you do book but you will only receive the Ship board credit that was attached to the $100.00.

I am still hearing that all previous purchased Future Cruise Deposits will remain under the Old Rules of that FCD.

I am trying to get an actual print out of what is new.

I would contact th First Lt. of the ship for the rules as to whether the FCD/ OIC and CIC coordination is for.. to what lenghts to be determined. I suggest 6000 yds .

Your section officer or chief will clarify the FCD.

NATOSC will have specific parameters for your FDC and on what basis to interdict , determined by SOG/NSG. or better

I think your XO and OD on the specific situationwill have more detailed nformation from COMPACOM. for FYI/ NTKCOM

Remember FFOGFYG....

I have no idea what you said! :eek: Is this Travel Industry Speak? :confused:

We are just off the Eurodam (amazing cruise apart from check in). We booked our future cruise letter on Friday morning - no mention was made of the changes to conditions. We found this out later in the day - as did other members of our CC group.

As we had only paid the $100 deposit, we were worried about how this would affect our next booking as we normally take longer cruises. The FCC has assured us we will be able to pay the increased deposit when we book our next cruise. He also said that those holding an earlier generic letter would have to pay the increased deposit if the booked a cruise longer than 10 days.

The FCC also said he had spent the day dealing with irate cruisers.

So confusion reigns.

Thank you for this information.

We have 2 $100 deposits that we bought some time ago -- don;t know if we will ever use them -- or maybe we won't depending on the new rules.

Thanks Mrs Peck, now the one thing you mentioned that would definitely be different is about if not used in 4 years a credit would go back to your card. In the past it was stated they were non-refundable although I have been able to assist in getting them to be extended and or even transferred to a family member that was still actively cruising.

I am getting some additional info...not sure if true but that you can purchase the $100 then if you book a longer voyage just pay the difference of what the reduced deposit would be when you do book but you will only receive the Ship board credit that was attached to the $100.00.

I am still hearing that all previous purchased Future Cruise Deposits will remain under the Old Rules of that FCD.

I am trying to get an actual print out of what is new.

This was the information that we got when we were on the Amsterdam in June/July:

02311.JPG

I just pulled out the letter I got after purchasing an FCD last March. The first bullet in the second paragraph (with no later "fine print" contradicting it) states: Your Future Cruise Deposit will be the only deposit needed until final payment. It provides the OBCs for cruises up to and including 36 days. I expect them to keep up their end of the deal.

(My letter is the same as the one KK posted)

Just booked a 25 day cruise yesterday using my existing FCD. Originally told I needed an $800 deposit (not sure why it wasn't $1000) and then just received an email saying with the new program only need the $200. My OBC is at the old level. If the OBC turns out to be more with a bigger deposit, I will let you know if they let me bump up the deposit to get the additional OBC.

I think what we'll do is just purchase the 2 $100 versions, and if we want to do a longer cruise than the ten days we'll just wait until the "fire sale" begins a few weeks before cruising and not be picky about the stateroom.

Kind of takes the pressure off planning a cruise a long time in advance, which for us, is difficult to do because it's not easy getting the time off from work authorized that far in advance anyway.

On the upside, we may get a fantastic cruise bargain with no deposit at all... on the downside, the cruise may be sold out or the cruise savings could be offset by increased air fare. (Or we might have to finally cruise a different line when we DO get the time off.) LOL

We decide what we want to purchase before the cruise. We then visit the FCC very early in the cruise and purchase the desired FCDs. There is usually little or no wait early in the cruise. It is much more difficult to talk to the FCC later in the cruise.

Thank you, Randy.

I was thinking I was the only one who does not enjoy working (some) of the FCC's on the ships. It rarely works well for me.

They earn their living doing what they do but they don't always understand we are spending our earnings while on our vacation and don't care to do their whole concept of how the interaction is going to proceed. I've been told some fairly outrageous things and have 'overheard' them give downright incorrect information to others. I KNOW they are wrong but it isn't for me to correct them in front of their 'client'. It leaves me feeling very badly knowing those folks depended upon the information the 'expert' just told them.

JMO......

Sail, no you are definitely not the only one who has had bad experiences with FCCs. I've only met one I liked and could work with, and that was on the Zuiderdam this year. Last year on the Zaandam there were two of them working together, and they did nothing but argue with each other so I got up and left.

Sail, no you are definitely not the only one who has had bad experiences with FCCs. I've only met one I liked and could work with, and that was on the Zuiderdam this year. Last year on the Zaandam there were two of them working together, and they did nothing but argue with each other so I got up and left.

:D I think I met 'them' or maybe it was their evil twins. :rolleyes:

I figure just about 3 minutes or less is all it should take to sell me two or four FCC's. Anything longer than that, is too long. :D

Thats funny since I did not care for the FCC on the Zuiderdam on the same cruise! She was almost an hour late for her scheduled time at her post in the lobby - by then there was a line of people waiting to see her.

DaveOKC

Thats funny since I did not care for the FCC on the Zuiderdam on the same cruise! She was almost an hour late for her scheduled time at her post in the lobby - by then there was a line of people waiting to see her.

DaveOKC

.....:rolleyes:

A LINE of people waiting to see her.

Hopefully she was effusive in her apologies for her tardiness. :rolleyes:

For Sapper:

Not sure how many others do, but I post on both the Cunard and HAL boards having been on 7 Cunard voyages and 6 HAL sailings over the years. About to sail #7 in a few weeks, NIEUW AMSTERDAM from Venice.:)

You should be happy with Cunard & QM2 if you like HAL, other than the formality in the evenings, far more similarities than differences overall IMO.

Sounds like you do not believe me, so you can ask PathfinderEss, she and her husband were waiting with me and the others....

DaveOKC

For Sapper:

Not sure how many others do, but I post on both the Cunard and HAL boards having been on 7 Cunard voyages and 6 HAL sailings over the years. About to sail #7 in a few weeks, NIEUW AMSTERDAM from Venice.:)

You should be happy with Cunard & QM2 if you like HAL, other than the formality in the evenings, far more similarities than differences overall IMO.

I think we may be getting on the NA when you get off. Are you going all the way to Fort Lauderdale?

We were very impressed with the Queen Mary2. The elegance was very quiet and understated but also hard to ignore. There was just the right touch everywhere you looked.

I really liked that the buffet restaurant seating was spread around in little nooks and crannies so that, although there was a lot of seating, it did not seem like just one big room.

We were served an amazing lunch in the dining room. I could have cut my filet mignon with a butter knife. The dining room also seemed to be arranged into seating areas which created a more intimate setting.

We were not shown any cabins on this tour but got a good look at all the public rooms. We really liked everything we saw and think it might be fun to try her for real sometime.

I wonder if it was the same one... I believe ours was getting off in San Diego, where you embarked.

Oops, sorry Sail, that was intended for Dave.

Sounds like you do not believe me, so you can ask PathfinderEss, she and her husband were waiting with me and the others....

DaveOKC

:confused: Of course, I believe you. I have no idea why you think otherwise.

When you consider the complaints I have registered about FCC's in this thread, you can clearly see I am no fan.

I don't need to ask Pathfinder or anyone else.

If you say something here, without any reason otherwise, why would I not believe you?

My 'eyeroll' is at The rudeness and careless disregard for the guests to have paying passengers, on their vacation, standing in line waiting for her convenience to appear. I have no respect or patience for that sort of attitude.

I am sorry you interpreted my remark otherwise. I never dreamed you would take it that way.

John & I have just returned from Amsterdam's final 14-day Alaskan voyage, which ended 09/21/2012. After this cruise, all FCDs paid on Amsterdam would be under the "new" program.

Per usual, we paid a $200 ($100/pp) FCD open deposit. The confirmation letter states quite clearly that this is the only $$ needed until final payment. The appropriate OBC will be applied when the booking is confirmed.

The fine print at the bottom indicates that the OBC expires at the end of that voyage & any unused OBC is not transferrable to a future one. The on-board FCD offer cannot be used for Grand Voyages or their segments; the offer applies to cruises 7-36 days in length only; and standard cancellation policies apply. FCDs are valid for 4 years & will be automatically cancelled & refunded if not used within that time.

It will be interesting to see how the new rules will play out. Suppose you pay a 10-day FCD on-board & the next cruise turns out to be 21 days? Do you just pay the on-board difference or the whole deposit difference? Hmmmmm. :confused:

We usually take about 5 minutes of the FCC's time - only enough to exchange pleasantries & provide the pertinent info. I really like Sail's idea of a form to fill out for those of us paying open deposits. Why take up the FCC's time & space when it's not necessary? We're on vacay & could be doing other things (or nothing ;)) instead of waiting around.

:) Actually it is ALL Good News for the changes coming to the Future Cruise Deposits.

Sailings booked that are 11 -21 days in length will require a deposit of $250.00 per person and will receive the Ship Board Credit that was given previously for the longer voyages with the Future Cruise Deposit.

Sailings 22 - 50 days will require a $500.00 per person deposit and yes there is a whole new set of Ship Board Credit for this that is higher but I do not have those figures as of yet.

.[/size]

What is good about this? We booked a 17 night cruise and a 22 night cruise onboard for $100.00 each per person.

Now the 17 night would require a $250.00 per person deposit or $500.00 total, and the 22 night would have required a $500.00 per person deposit or $1,000.00.

Archived