Help! I've accidentally booked a 9am flight after Allure...

jarz85

800 bucks is a fair chunk of change. The Allure usually is docked by 5:00 AM. I would think you have a decent, not great but decent, chance of making it to the airport by 7:30, especially if you let them know on the ship of your dilemma prior to arriving in Ft. Lauderdale. I guess it comes down to how much $800.00 means to you and how are your nerves.

We were off by 7:30am and we even had to wait in the photo center line to get our CD. We could have walked right off at 7am. I don't see a real reason you can't make it as long as you carry your own bags. The airport is only a few minutes away. We had a pre-arranged shuttle (6 of us), so we were the only ones. From the time they scanned my card to leave the ship until we drove away, was less than 15 min.

Don't mess up on the last night and leave your bags in the hall like everyone else :) If you do, then too bad.

Try emailing the airline through their website. Since you only booked a couple of days ago, maybe someone will have some compassion. I've had some better luck and less aggrevation by emailing companies lately (and I have the conversation in writing). Maybe you can also "play-up" that you are from Australia and say that you messed up the time zones or didn't understand the rules.

Good luck. I hope you can resolve this soon so that you don't have to keep thinking about it until your vacation.

If you're going to attempt to make the 9 AM flight, you might want to consider paying for luggage concierge service if it's offered for your airline. I think it's $25 PP, and they pick up your bags the night before and take them to airport and get them checked in for you so all you have to worry about is yourself and your carry-on luggage. If you're in a suite, it's complimentary. We used this on our Oasis trip because we were in a suite, and it was great.

It's not an option with a flight this early...

OP...I agree with some of the other comments to hold tight & watch your flight times....they DO change often & then you can re-book a better flight...I just used reward points a few weeks ago for a flight in March...got an email last week my flight time had been adjusted...it was adjusted alright...to a DAY prior...kind of hard to catch a plane in the middle of the ocean...

If you aren't flying back to Oz on this flight and it is just a domestic flight to NYC... I'd take the shot rather than pay $800.

I still think your shot of doing it successfully is a lot lower than people are making it out, but somehow I thought you were going back overseas on this flight, via NYC connection.

If you are going to NYC and then, days later, going home. I can't see paying that fortune. I'd beg for pity from the counter on the day of before I'd cough up $800 now.

Well, at this point what's done is done and $800 is a lot of money, in my opinion. It's crazy to me that the change fee is so high (PLUS a $50 per ticket real-person-to-help-you charge!!) on a FLL to NY flight. Honestly, that's shameful and I can only imagine your frustration. Anyway, I'm with the others. I'd keep the current tickets, hope that the airline has a change in the flight schedule between now and then (allowing you to negotiate a different flight/time).... and if not, then take your chances that morning. Several others have made it, so it's definitely possible. If you miss the flight, maybe they will allow you onto a later flight or put you on stand-by.

Try that suggestion to email the airline - you just never know. Good luck! I really hope it all turns out ok for you guys. Have a great cruise!

We have been on the Allure 3 times and always did the express checkout (take your own luggage off the ship). We were off and in our car no later then 7am. One time there was a delay which made it 7 but the other times we were off between 6:15 and 6:30. I think you will be fine.

We aren't travelling home... we are flying to New York! Does anyone know what the deal is if you miss your flight by like 30 mins? Once you get to the airport do they just put you on standby for another flight?

If you miss your flight and don't notify the airline in advance, you will be deemed a no-show and you will lose your airfare.

At this point, I would keep the flights you have and put US Airways' number into your cellphone.

Check the airlines policy regarding day-of-flight changes. Some airlines permit this up to departure time with an additional charge, something like $200 instead of $150 if you change more than 24 hours out. If might be worth gambling on making the morning flight if this is an option; at worst you'd only be out the difference $50 x 4.

If you do decide to go for it make sure your passport and visa/visa waiver docs are in good shape and that you have a list of what you need to declare neatly written out. Arriving at the CBP desk with all the documentation neatly & completely done can often speed things up. You might want to check the CBP info page at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/ Somewhere on their site they outline the limits on bringing in tobacco, alcohol and other goods.

I'd also check with the front desk a day or two before debarkation regarding how early you can line up to get off, where to go, etc. If you let them know that you have to get off as soon as possible they will try to help as much as they can. Unfortunately everyone is at the mercy of CBP and there is no point in trying to push them.

If all goes smoothly you could probably make it, but one small glitch and you won't. Carrying your luggage off the ship will definitely help, but remember that if the luggage is full sized it will have to be checked at the airport. For US Airways you must check all baggage at least 30 minutes prior to flight time and be in the boarding area at least 15 minutes before scheduled departure (or they can give away the seats).

Unless you are flying on a flight operated by United into Newark (US Airways code share--their flight number, United aircraft), you will be changing planes on your way to NY (it could be a direct flight that will just stop in another city like Charlotte, Philadelphia or Washington DC). If you have a connection on your way to NY (or a direct flight)--pretty much anything other than a non-stop---you could have more issues if you miss your original flight.

If you miss your original flight out of Ft. Lauderdale and they decide to be flexible and allow you to stand by for later flights you would have to do that all over again in your connecting city. Also, from someone who has flown her share of standby flights, it is very difficult to get 4 seats on the same flight standby (especially in/out of Florida).

You might want to research what the cost of a one way, no advance purchase ticket is from Ft. Lauderdale to NY today. There is no guarantee what that price would be when you travel, but it would give you a ballpark idea on what you might be looking at if you don't make your flight and the airline does not allow you to stand by.

Also, check your hotel reservations in NY to see when the cancellation deadline is. If you miss your flight and you don't make it to New York for a day or two, you might be paying for the hotel in NY and a hotel where you are stuck.

Good luck! I'd hate to have to make that decision.

If this were your international flight home, I'd say buck up and pay for the change. But $200 per person to change a FLL to NYC flight? That is crazy. And since Allure generally arrives and disembarks very early, so you have a real chance of making that domestic flight. I would hold on to those tickets...If you are comfortable doing self disembarkation (and can handle the risk without stressing too much), you may well make that flight. If this will drive you crazy in the interim, you can hope the airline will change their flight schedule, giving you the opportunity to renegotiate with them or get a refund.

+1

I would never deliberately book a 9AM flight, but $800 is a ridiculous amount to change the flight. I do think you've got a decent shot of making it if you do self disembark since you are on Allure.

I wouldn't change the flight for that price... even as nice as 1st class is - you can currently book the coach class 11:40am flight on AA for $129 to JFK and Delta is only $139! US Airways is over $300... Since Allure is the only ship in your odds of making the flight just went up a bit and since it's so far away i'd wait it out and see if they change the flight on their own - odd's are if they do it wont be earlier in the morning but if they do you could tell them it doesn't work with your plans and book a later one instead ;)

It's not like that flight would be your only option in getting to NYC that day... probably at least 50 flights between LGA and JFK

In April we were sitting at the airport after the Oasis putting in time waiting to pick up our rental by 0900 and we didn't self embark and we also got the free shuttle to the airport from the car rental company...

I agree with other posters - $800 is WAY too much for a change in time when you could get new tickets on another airline for less than that.

Did you buy trip insurance? Would your trip insurance reimburse you in this case if you missed the flight? You may want to look into that. They may not be willing to do that if the recommended flight departure time is later than 9am, though...

US airways has a same day change fee of $25pp if same destination space is available on another flight the same day you have booked but this only can be done on the day of travel. You could perhaps call if you are not able to get to FLL for the 9AM flight.

Last Spring I mistakenly booked a later connecting flight than I originally intended and paid this fee to avoid a 5 hours layover in PHL on the way to SJU. I had mistakenly booked the connecting flight with an approximate 1:30PM departure instead of a 1:30PM arrival and paid the fee to get on the earlier flight which I knew had lots of availability. The later connection we had would still have allowed us to make our 8:30PM sailing but the change lowered our travel time by almost 4 hours and got us onboard that much sooner. It was an US Air telephone representative who suggested this rather than paying the $150pp change fee for a change done prior to the travel day and there wasn't any fare adjustment.

And once checked-in you still will have to wait in line to get through security (these lines can be long) and since FLL is a large airport it can quite a hike to your gate.

Have you ever actually flown out of FLL?? The airport property is large, but there are 4 separate terminals and each one is quite compact. From terminal check-in counter to departure gate, I find FLL to be one of the shortest walks of any major airport I've been in!

With the Allure you have a small chance of making that flight ... if you walk off as soon as you can it should be 6:30-7 AM. If anything goes wrong though, you're in trouble.

Actually, you probably have a better chance of making it if you're coming off of Oasis or Allure than any other ship. Those two generally dock and clear customs earlier than other ships. Not that there couldn't be delays, but your chances are better on one of those two ships. It's also a quick 5 min cab ride to FLL from the port. Now, having said that, the big question mark is whether the OP is checking bags (I would assume so, since it's an international trip), because those will need to be check at least 45 minutes prior to flight time, so arriving at the airport at 8:30 won't cut it. At 8:30 the flight will be boarding, and the OP will still need to check bags (lines can be LONG) and go through security. Two trips ago the security lines at terminal 2 in FLL were wrapped around the front side of the building!

We came off a TA in FT Lauderdale and due to the log jam at customs, we were 2 hours late getting off, fortunately our flight was at 3:20. Our group wasn't called until close to 10:30 and we still were slow getting off due to the backup. Since we were among 200 that missed Post cruise tours they ended up calling in an extra bus to take us to the airport. If you can change your flight I recommend it. Many missed their flights earlier then 1 PM.

We came off a TA in FT Lauderdale and due to the log jam at customs, we were 2 hours late getting off, fortunately our flight was at 3:20. Our group wasn't called until close to 10:30 and we still were slow getting off due to the backup. Since we were among 200 that missed Post cruise tours they ended up calling in an extra bus to take us to the airport. If you can change your flight I recommend it. Many missed their flights earlier then 1 PM.

TA's ending in the US typically seem to have the same problem with delayed disembarkment with Customs/Immigration clearing the ship as reported every fall on here (Last fall it was extremely bad with Liberty) so I wouldn't use that as a guide. 9/10 times Oasis/Allure work like a well oiled machine and there's no glitches... THEY want you off as soon as possible because they've got another 6300 people anxiously waiting to get on a few hours later :)

That is common for transatlantic sailings to be delayed at the end of their journey as when they arrive to the US there are extra steps that are required before the ship may be cleared for debarkation. The OP is not doing a transatlantic and is on an Oasis class ship - these ships have a remarkable record of starting debarkation very early. The OP likely will make the flight if they hustle; the only problem would be if a delay were to occur they have minimal wiggle room - but fortunately delays are not common. With just about any other ship they would be wise to change their flight, but since they have to pay so much $$$ to make a change, it is probably best they hustle on debarkation day and stick with their flight.

Does anyone know if there is a separate security line for first class at FLL? That could certainly help things. My last flight to DC was first (thank you cheap upgrade!). I got to bypass the YOOGE check-in at the American desk and then bypass the even bigger line at security to go to the first class security line.

To the OP: Don't worry. If you can self debark, you will be fine.

To date, I have not seen a single post from anyone about self debarkation ever being remarkably delayed on Oasis or Allure. IGNORE ALL POSTS THAT ARE TALKING ABOUT SHIPS OTHER THAN OASIS AND ALLURE! Oasis and Allure debarkation is a totally unique process.

You will be fine with a 9:00 domestic flight.

Does anyone know if there is a separate security line for first class at FLL? That could certainly help things. My last flight to DC was first (thank you cheap upgrade!). I got to bypass the YOOGE check-in at the American desk and then bypass the even bigger line at security to go to the first class security line.

Yes there is. On our last cruise, we got upgraded to first class and bypassed everyone.

Archived