Bye Bye Norway

Zimomiller

Some great pictures. I really enjoyed the Pride of America passing the Norway. I am currently finishing a model of the Pride of America. Having the two in the same picture means alot. The Norway was my first model project in 1997. My first, second and 5th cruise were on the Norway. I am gratefull my boys had the chance to sail on a classic liner.

Let's hope this great ship has a future.

If the Norway is headed to the breakers in India, what a collection of classic liners could be beached at the same time the Norway, Windsor Castle and Eugenio C. It would be a very sad sight.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your pictures and providing the links to the other sites.

I'm sad, but hopeful about the Norway. I sailed on her three times as the Norway and loved being on this magnificent ship.

As the France, I thought she was the most beautiful ship every built and, even after the decks were added by NCL, she is still magnificent. Seeing her along side the new and ugly Pride of America shows how really beautiful she really is.

I don't believe we will ever see the likes of her again.

We only saw her once. We were on, I think Explorer of the Seas, and she sailed past us in Miami(?). I gave my dh a short history of what I had learned of her on these boards. We both thought she was beautiful. DH said "I bet it costs alot to sail on her."

At that time she was sailing at bargain rates.

Glad I took was a day early before our Norwegian Majesty cruise in January 2003 and was able to see the Norway again and take some pictures of her. Only was able to cruise the Norway once back in 1994. My oldest was only 2 when we sailed her and I can't help but remember placing him curled up in the lip of the forward facing windows in the cabin my in-laws had at the very front of the ship. I could kick myself for booking her instead of the Majesty in 2003.

Saw her in St Thomas in September of 2000 when the the Disney Magic we were on passed in front of her and horns were exchanged. It brought tears to my eye. Sorry I may never have the chance to share her again with both my children. The Norway is what made NCL special to me and the other ships of the fleet that were of varying sizes and ages. NCL is no longer unique with the newbuilds they are putting online now and their obsession to have the youngest fleet with the upcoming elimation of the Sea and others to follow. POA is a step backward with her ugly profile for those of us who like the NCL of the past.

I am so depressed. We loved our 2 cruises on the NORWAY--the first in 1995 and the 2nd on the "Farewell Season" of 2001 (thank god, we have our commemorative t-shirts and photos of her, at least). She was a great old ship, a throwback to a different time. Her classic lines were unequaled by these newer, "glitzier" ships. We were in the same stateroom for both cruises. Thanks to those who posted the links for the photos of her departure from Bremerhaven.

On the other hand, Norway has an amazing ability to keep going long after people have written her off. In 1974, very few people would have imagined the last flagship of the French Line being painted royal-blue and heading for the Caribbean, especially after being out of service for six years...then in 1990 as Royal Caribbean and Carnival were rolling out their Sovereigns and Fantasys, who could have guessed that adding two decks of prefab cabins would keep her around for another decade...and then the 2001 farewell season, hardly ideal circumstances for a comeback but back she came for another year and a half of borrowed time. Just when you've made peace with it, said your goodbyes, and realized just how wonderfully unique she is, back she comes like a prizefighter who can't be knocked out! Not to be naive or harbor any illusions about a ship that's 43 years old and suffered a boiler explosion, but she's always managed to stick around somehow. ;) (It's a shame that the French don't feel as strongly about her as the Dutch feel about Rotterdam V--sigh. She's not Normandie, but she's as close as we're going to get.)

Hi,

my travel companion has a friend, she is working at most of the new NCL-Ships (she is installing (correct word?) some of the IT-Internet-Equipment).

She was on the Pride of America and made pictures:

http://homepage.mac.com/merwolf01/PhotoAlbum5.html

And thats her comment:

For those of you who know and love the s/s Norway -

On Monday, at quarter past one German time the youngest member of the ncl

fleet and the oldest member crossed paths for the first and likely the last

time.

As the Pride of America was returning from her first sea trials, she met the

S/S Norway under tow as she made her way out of the bremerhaven locks and

towards the north sea.

She is on a 73 day voyage to Singapore, and seeing her appear out of the

mist as we came into thw shipping channel was a goosebump raising moment.

As she came abreast of the Pride, PoaM saluted her with three long blasts of

her horn.

Norway responded in kind, and then, as the tugboats joined in Neptune's pipe

organ rattled windows all over the harbor.

Then Norway slipped off into the mist as we all waved.

Best wishes

Wendy

Wendy...altho I've never sailed on the Norway....I understand those of you who have sailed her have a very special feeling for her. Your pictures and description brought a tear to my eyes and a chill down my spine. Thank you.

Thank you to all who have shared your photos of the wonderful S/S Norway. I had tears in my eyes as I looked through them. Having been on her 7 times, she has a special place in my heart. I hope she makes it safely on her voyage, but one never knows, considering what happened to others in tow.

Best of luck Blue Lady!

Archived