Wine packages are they worth it and cost?

diceman711

There are a lot more wines on the full wine list (which you can see by following the link in my signature) than are offered on the package. And if you do a search on these boards for "wine package analysis" you will find an impressive spreadsheet showing what wines you'll save money on depending on the package you buy.

And you run the risk that they will not have your preferred wine available, so if you buy a Platinum or Diamond package, you may be forced into selecting a lower priced bottle (they generally won't substitute a comparable wine that isn't on the list) and actually lose money in the bargain.

I think they are worth it. I bought the Gold last year on Oasis and the Platinum this time. The wines were readily available, was able to get them from room service where they came in a bucket with our own take home opener although the waiter did open the bottle, and the variety was quite good. I am not a wine snob so others will have a differing opinion. Kendall Jackson Chardonney was on the list and that made me happy along with the other chardonney and pinto grigio selections. I had a bottle left and was given it to take home. The wines by the glass can be expensive. I paid $14 for a glass of wine in Vintages and in some venues, it was cheaper to have a martini

We tried a 3-bottle package on the Majesty of the Seas in July and it worked well for us. We're trying a 7-bottle package on our upcoming Freedom of the Seas cruise (in just 11 days!!). The two wines that we've enjoyed on past cruises (Danzante Pinot Grigio and Aussières Blanc Chardonnay) are both in the Gold package, so that works well for us. We save about $8/bottle by going for the package.

This is only our personal opinion, and, everyone has a different feeling on the wine packages, but, if you are planning to drink wine, you will normally save money by purchasing one of the wine packages.

On another note...Most of the wine on the ship is priced 3 to 5 times higher than what it even costs in a liquor store in the US. Since we are on vacation, we do not complain and always get a wine package, however, when I pay $40 to $60 for a bottle of wine and think I am drinking a great wine, the reality is that most of the wines in that price range on the ship are $8 to $20 dollar wines of average quality in a home liquor store.

This is only our personal opinion, and, everyone has a different feeling on the wine packages, but, if you are planning to drink wine, you will normally save money by purchasing one of the wine packages.

On another note...Most of the wine on the ship is priced 3 to 5 times higher than what it even costs in a liquor store in the US. Since we are on vacation, we do not complain and always get a wine package, however, when I pay $40 to $60 for a bottle of wine and think I am drinking a great wine, the reality is that most of the wines in that price range on the ship are $8 to $20 dollar wines of average quality in a home liquor store.

I think it's more appropriate to compare Royal's wine prices to restaurant pricing, as opposed to liquor store pricing. When compared to restaurant pricing, Royal's wine prices are not bad, especially as the price gets higher.

I think it's more appropriate to compare Royal's wine prices to restaurant pricing, as opposed to liquor store pricing. When compared to restaurant pricing, Royal's wine prices are not bad, especially as the price gets higher.

I think this is a really good point that could be applied to many topics.

Thanks for the above link, some in my traveling party enjoy wine and will appreciate the info.

Cleara...Very good point that I never thought about, even though I would say that a wine that sells for $10 in a liquor store, and $50 on the ship, is normally around $35 in a restaurant. The restuarant price is never the same or higher than on the ship.

EXCELLENT way of looking at it. We found ourselves quite pleased with both price and selection and found a couple of new wines that we had not experienced before.

Cleara...Very good point that I never thought about, even though I would say that a wine that sells for $10 in a liquor store, and $50 on the ship, is normally around $35 in a restaurant. The restuarant price is never the same or higher than on the ship.

I think it depends on the wine. I've compared the pricing and found that on lower priced wine (your $10 example), Royal's pricing is higher than restaurants, and on high priced wine, they are lower than restaurants. Royal sells the Mondavi Cab for $58, which I can get for $25 at a retail store. They sell Caymus Cab for $92, which I can get for $75 at a retail store.

Bob

We always get the gold package because it's the best value. We have fallen in love with the Pino Grigio, Danzante. I found it at Binny's Depot for $3.99. :)

We also heard that if you wait until you leave port the first night to purchase the package, you are not charge the state sales tax.

It is in LA. Even La Terre costs more at the one restaurant chain (Daily Grill) where I've seen it offered.

We always get the gold package because it's the best value. We have fallen in love with the Pino Grigio, Danzante. I found it at Binny's Depot for $3.99. :)

We also heard that if you wait until you leave port the first night to purchase the package, you are not charge the state sales tax.

Not every state imposes a tax on purchases while you're in port. But it pays to ask first. If we get a package, we do so at dinner, so we're usually well out to sea by then.

We tried a 3-bottle package on the Majesty of the Seas in July and it worked well for us. We're trying a 7-bottle package on our upcoming Freedom of the Seas cruise (in just 11 days!!). The two wines that we've enjoyed on past cruises (Danzante Pinot Grigio and Aussières Blanc Chardonnay) are both in the Gold package, so that works well for us. We save about $8/bottle by going for the package.

We're on the same sailing as you.............so excited !!!!:D

Archived