Dress Code

kelly kipper

We are looking forward to our first cruise on Oceania next month, having only cruised on Celebrity and have a couple of questions re: dress code, mainly for my DH.

I understand that the evenings on board are described as country casual. My husband feels that he needs at least two jackets to go over trousers. I am sure that I have seen somewhere that jackets are not essential and that trousers with a shirt (without a tie) are completely acceptable.

Some answers from seasoned Oceania travellers would really help to avoid packing wars!

Thanks in advance

that trousers with a shirt (without a tie) are completely acceptable.

Thanks in advance

100% correct. Never have worn a jacket on Oceania.

However you will see some men wear a sports jacket to dinner -- it is their choice but certainly not required and your DH will certainly not feel out of place without one.

Now me -- I must wear my straw hat :)

We are looking forward to our first cruise on Oceania next month, having only cruised on Celebrity and have a couple of questions re: dress code, mainly for my DH.

I understand that the evenings on board are described as country casual. My husband feels that he needs at least two jackets to go over trousers. I am sure that I have seen somewhere that jackets are not essential and that trousers with a shirt (without a tie) are completely acceptable.

Some answers from seasoned Oceania travellers would really help to avoid packing wars!

Thanks in advance

Your right, no jacket required at any time. :)

He will, however, not feel out of place if he wears one.

My husband brought a dark blazer and wore it a couple of times in a specialty restaurant and when it was a bit cool due to air conditioning. However no tie! If your husband likes to wear a jacket, tell him to go for it. But he doesn't have to. Not required, not expected.

Hopefully not indoors.......:D

Ask me sometime about the Cruise Critic stalwart whose husband caused a ruckus by wearing a baseball cap in the library.....:rolleyes:

LOL, I know exactly who you are talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Mura

Hi Mura,

Nice to see you are home with fond memories of lamb chops dancing in your dreams.

On this dress code topic I have either read or been told men should wear a long sleeve shirt in the evening if not in a sport coat. Have you found this to be the case?:)

Aloha, Ron

Hi Mura,

Nice to see you are home with fond memories of lamb chops dancing in your dreams.

On this dress code topic I have either read or been told men should wear a long sleeve shirt in the evening if not in a sport coat. Have you found this to be the case?:)

Aloha, Ron

DH wears a SS shirt or Polo shirt I think as long as it has a collar & some type of sleeve it is acceptable

No t-shirts at dinner & you will be fine

Hi Ron,

I agree with Lyn. While I suppose I've seen mostly long sleeved shirts, I know that DH has often worn short sleeves. The main question is " is it a NICE" shirt, and I don't necessarily mean expensive. I don't recall ever hearing or reading about a restriction to long sleeves.

I limited myself to two breakfasts with lamb chops ... also the Eggs Benedict.

True, on five or six mornings we had early tours so had breakfast in our room ...

Mura

We are booked into La Reserve and I intend to wear a jacket to that event. Jim and Stan provided a photo in another thread that shows men in jackets in La Reserve. So, I shall follow suit. :D Of course, no tie........

Do not forget they are "staged photos" ;)

Men with or without jackets will be accepted

Lyn

Do not forget they are "staged photos" ;)

Men with or without jackets will be accepted

Lyn

Oh no! I thought all the people we would see on the ship would look like them. By the way, why does Jim always come before Stan? Only they can answer this, I suppose.

We have been on Oceania over 350 days and my husband has never worn a jacket..he wears a golf shirt with collar, in cold weather long sleeve shirt and has no problem at all..we dine with the Captain on almost every trip and Im lucky if DH remembers to wear socks..we live in California at the beach and he doesnt own a suit and his jacket is 20 years old..(if it is still in his closet)

Jancruz1

We have been on Oceania over 350 days and my husband has never worn a jacket..he wears a golf shirt with collar, in cold weather long sleeve shirt and has no problem at all..we dine with the Captain on almost every trip and Im lucky if DH remembers to wear socks..we live in California at the beach and he doesnt own a suit and his jacket is 20 years old..(if it is still in his closet)

Jancruz1

I wonder if your husband was once, still is, a surfer? :cool:

Jancruz1

Now Jan, that is just not true....Privée inspired Stu to wear a jacket, and I have the photographs to prove it. :cool:

You are excused from remembering however, because you were ill that evening. :o

Now Jan, that is just not true....Privée inspired Stu to wear a jacket, and I have the photographs to prove it. :cool:

You are excused from remembering however, because you were ill that evening. :o

That was because we were on the Marina Chistening and then the Inagural and also it was your birthday.. he had to dress up for that..you are correct..(I would love to see that picture) but when we had dinner with Dimitri Flokas it was back to casual..I remember he also did take a jacket to the Riviera Christening (do you remember how hot is was that day)..so I "forgot he brought it" Im old..LOL

Jancruz1

Jancruz1

I also live in Ca but not at the beach...don't own a suit, own one blue blazer that fits. For my first Oceania cruise, I bought 2 pairs of Khaki pants (I always wear shorts or sweats) and a couple of Polo shirts. I wore the blazer a couple of nights to dinner at the specialty restaurants, but lots of guys just wore collared shirts without a jacket and I soon joined them. Now, some guys wore suits, fewer wore ties, and indeed, nobody seemed out of place or overdressed or underdressed.... Oh, and I stopped wearing socks with my Khakis as well :)

The Oceania dress code makes it so easy to pack. I can make do with one carry-on (as a professional traveler).

Wow! Today is packing day (we leave Tuesday to board Riviera in Venice)...I an incredibly envious of your packing skills!!! I've got it down to 5 pairs of shoes though...

Wow! Today is packing day (we leave Tuesday to board Riviera in Venice)...I an incredibly envious of your packing skills!!! I've got it down to 5 pairs of shoes though...

I find the shoe issue is the hardest part of packing for me

DH takes 1pr dress shoes

1 pr walking shoes (which he wears)

sometimes his sandals

I am down to 4 pr most times ....:D

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

My shoe limit is three! One or maybe two pair of walking shoes (so I can alternate) and a pair of sandals that can double for walking shoes AND appropriate shoes for dinner. It's a good thing I gave up high heels after my knee surgery ... now I'm afraid to try walking in them after so long NOT walking in them.

A reminder of a comment I believe I made when we first got back from the Black Sea cruise in early September ... dinner one night with a couple in the GDR who hadn't gotten the word about suits and ties, so he was beautifully dressed.

Then he asked us about the dress code and I informed him he didn't need either the jacket or tie. He said he'd wished he'd known that before he packed.

We saw him the next night in Polo and he'd dispensed with both.

Mura

I also live in Ca but not at the beach...don't own a suit, own one blue blazer that fits. For my first Oceania cruise, I bought 2 pairs of Khaki pants (I always wear shorts or sweats) and a couple of Polo shirts. I wore the blazer a couple of nights to dinner at the specialty restaurants, but lots of guys just wore collared shirts without a jacket and I soon joined them. Now, some guys wore suits, fewer wore ties, and indeed, nobody seemed out of place or overdressed or underdressed.... Oh, and I stopped wearing socks with my Khakis as well :)

I am rotfl about no socks..I cant wait to tell Stu!!

Jancruz1

Archived