crew wages?

vols159

Does anyone know how much the crew makes on average

Wait staff?

Room Stewart?

Cruise staff?

Ok if you take the waiter for instance and only count tips, $5.80 per person per day and lets say they serve 20 people per day (which is probably conservative) that would be $116 a day for 30 days for a total of $3480 tax free and with practically no expenses I would say they are doing better than a lot of the people they are serving so I dont think we need to feel that sorry for them. That being said doe anyone want to work that kind of schedule and be away from your family that much?

Just curious if you feel the same way about our military that dont have the luxurious accomadations that the crew do on a cruise ship.

Trust me, their accommodations are not luxurious. They live in very tight spaces with two people per cabin and share a bathroom with another two people.

Trust me, their accommodations are not luxurious. They live in very tight spaces with two people per cabin and share a bathroom with another two people.

As I pointed out above I would have given my left arm for accomdations like that aboard ship (plus being able to have a beer after work;)). I also pointed out that just because you wouldn't consider it luxurious doesn't mean others wouldn't consider it so.

Maybe you don't want to know. Maybe it makes you feel less guilty if you can be oblivious to their pittance of a salary.

The pay of Carnival's employees is not my concern, pittance or otherwise. If Carnival was unable to retain employees at its current payscale it would have to adjust accordingly. Apparently they pay well enough.

It woud be nice if people could just get their questions answered with out people giving so many negative replies. If you can not answer the question, dont answer at all. Who cares what you think! Some of you sound like a bunch of old bittys! :p

I know several who work on cruise ships from Bali, Indonesia, Phillipines, etc. They can earn about 12 dollars per day at home doing the same work they are doing on the cruise ships. They make the sacrifice of being away from home and family so they can make a better life for themselves. Some save and invest most of their earnings while others spend and party. Some have worked the cruise ships for several years and have plans to retire young.

Sound familiar ?? Same as the USA ??

I have seen pics of some of their homes, and they are very nice. Of course, those who have invited us to their homes (if we ever get to their part of the world) are the people who save and invest.

It may shock you, but some do not go to their home towns while on vacation because they are considered wealthy and they take their families to other places to avoid the constant requests for money by "friends and acquaintances".

They don't want sympathy, they want you to let them know you like the way they perform their jobs. A positive note to the cruise line or their supervisor means a lot.

We had some lengthy discussions with a waiter from India on NCL Epic. We would eat our breakfast from the buffet in the Italian Restaurant which had open seating in the morning but very few knew it. The waiter was stationed there in the morning and liked to come over and chat with us. I didn't ask him how much he made, that would be rude. However he did tell us that he had been working on cruise ships for 8 years and wanted to work for at least another 5-10.

He was a single man who supported his parents and brothers/sisters at home. With the money he made from the cruise ship he was able to build his parents/family a large house (for his neighborhood) and he just purchased a new car....a huge luxury in his area, as cars were rare there. No one in his family knew how to drive so they had to hire a driver whenever they went out in it. He was also paying for his sisters wedding which is apparently a long and expensive affair where he is from. He was very proud of what he was able to do for his family with his work from the cruise ship. We would let him go on about how good he and his family had it now. The waiter we met was not looking for pity, but was expressing his gratitude for the bounty he was able to provide his family. We walked away counting our blessings.

And Im sure you have never served in the military and are not aware of what we make or our living conditions. And what we do is not for any amount of money but is does allw you to enjoy your cruise vacation.

Do you know some sailors in the Navy HOT RACK. They dont even get their own quaters or bed. and the food we have to eat cruisers would complain about,

Also what the room stewards on a cruise ship make is alot more than we made. We never got tips.

Dont even get me started on what the Marines I served with sleep in and the food we ate. But we all made a choice to protect our great country.

Stop feeling sorry for these cruise employees they made a choice to make alot more money than they would have ever made at home.

Holy crap what is your point? So you had it tough and the Marines had it tougher. You sound very bitter about your time in the Navy. It's an "Adventure" remember? I don't recall anyone saying you had it easy but you certainly have a bitter axe to grind.

WOW!!! Still trying to figure out how the military got dragged into this :confused: as it has no relevance to the question asked and why people feel the need to be so rude. I expect this in the 1000 daily complaint posts, but sheesh...folks need to get a grip! :rolleyes:

This IS an interesting subject. I'd say it's somewhat common knowledge that ships register in foreign countries to take advantage of the lack of wage regulation and other "perks" (for them not the employees). I'll send a little extra someones way of they do an above average job (same as I would for a waiter of does the same at my local steak house). But, I also know that for ship staff, it can make a bigger difference in the long run.

An extra $5 to my local waiter at Chili's just might get them the latest PS3 game!! An extra $5 to ship staff could mean a lot more to their families back home.

I'm pretty sure the crew does not have luxurious accomodations aboard the ship. Many of the stewards and waitstaff accept these working conditions because it is a little better than anything available back home. Many do indeed support other family members back home and they need steady, reliable earnings to maintain at least a minimal standard of living.

Off topic but what the heck...Navy people on ships like destroyers sleep in compartments that hold 30-50 sailors. Once you make Chief (E-7 and above) you get to sleep with only 24 of your shipmates. The workers on cruise ships share a cabin with another. They really don't have it that bad as far as living conditions go. But, I can guarantee they work more hours than I ever did on a Navy ship. They deserve every penny they make (I don't know what they make because it really is none of my business).

I find this to be a valid question by the original poster. The soliciting for tips offensive. However, I also find the tour guides, whether booked through the ship or independent contractors, are worse about the soft hustling.

I used to consider myself a good tipper. Then I started managing restaurants where my waitstaff and bartenders who worked 20 hours a week made more than my 80 hour/week salary. I still tip when service is good, but no longer feel obligated.

So you are just hanging out on this thread to share you kindness and wonderful manners? :confused:

If you have no interest, then go ruin someone elses day on a thread that interests you.

You do know you can put him on your ignore list don't you? Done it years ago...

I find this to be a valid question by the original poster. The soliciting for tips offensive. However, I also find the tour guides, whether booked through the ship or independent contractors, are worse about the soft hustling.

I used to consider myself a good tipper. Then I started managing restaurants where my waitstaff and bartenders who worked 20 hours a week made more than my 80 hour/week salary. I still tip when service is good, but no longer feel obligated.

But if you hade the inside information why didnt you transfer to bartender or server.

We all pick what we do for a living you could have been one of the ones working 20 hours a week making a fortune

Myself I could care less about title ,I like money more:)

But if you hade the inside information why didnt you transfer to bartender or server.

We all pick what we do for a living you could have been one of the ones working 20 hours a week making a fortune

Myself I could care less about title ,I like money more:)

I never said or implied I was still managing anything. If I was, I wouldn't have time or money to travel.

Ok I think this should settle things at $3480 a month tips and a 9 month contract you get $31320 plus what the cruise line pays which someone said is $18,700 that would be a grand total of $50,020. Now there are no taxes to pay and they have zero or very little expenses. Now Im sure they are serving passengers with less income all the time so dont feel bad for these people.

So you are just hanging out on this thread to share you kindness and wonderful manners? :confused:

If you have no interest, then go ruin someone elses day on a thread that interests you.

This thread is ruining your day? Perhaps it is you that should shut the www for a while.

Ok if you take the waiter for instance and only count tips, $5.80 per person per day and lets say they serve 20 people per day (which is probably conservative) that would be $116 a day for 30 days for a total of $3480 tax free and with practically no expenses I would say they are doing better than a lot of the people they are serving so I dont think we need to feel that sorry for them. That being said doe anyone want to work that kind of schedule and be away from your family that much?

Isn't the 5.80 divided by the entire team that serves you? We had 3 waiters (one was head and I'm guessing 2 assistants) The head waiter took our order, the female assistant ran to wait in line to get our food, the other assistant did our drinks and clearing tables....So I think that'd be 1/3-1/2 of your figure.

Ok I think this should settle things at $3480 a month tips and a 9 month contract you get $31320 plus what the cruise line pays which someone said is $18,700 that would be a grand total of $50,020. Now there are no taxes to pay and they have zero or very little expenses. Now Im sure they are serving passengers with less income all the time so dont feel bad for these people.

You may want to do alittle research before you post numbers .That $18700 was not an actual figure

Isn't the 5.80 divided by the entire team that serves you? We had 3 waiters (one was head and I'm guessing 2 assistants) The head waiter took our order, the female assistant ran to wait in line to get our food, the other assistant did our drinks and clearing tables....So I think that'd be 1/3-1/2 of your figure.

You are correct its split up among the team

I'm pretty sure the crew does not have luxurious accomodations aboard the ship. Many of the stewards and waitstaff accept these working conditions because it is a little better than anything available back home. Many do indeed support other family members back home and they need steady, reliable earnings to maintain at least a minimal standard of living.

This was what my comment was directed at;)

Holy crap what is your point? So you had it tough and the Marines had it tougher. You sound very bitter about your time in the Navy. It's an "Adventure" remember? I don't recall anyone saying you had it easy but you certainly have a bitter axe to grind.

Im not bitter at all I was proud to serve with the Marines. While my ship life wasnt the best it was better than in the field with the Marines.

My point was we all made a choice for whatever reason. For the crew of a cruise ship they see the better life for the family at home. For those of us in military we do it for our country. Neither make that much money but it is still a choice.

Both leave family and loved one at home for 6-18 months. I still have a step brother, that is in country over in the middle east and he has come home for a total of 3 weeeks in 2 years. So who has it better.

I was also onboard the NEW LCS Fort Worth last weekend and saw personally the quarters are for our Navy.

This is a senior crew(E5 and above) and thay still share cabins and heads with a 1 minute shower.

I looked for the bar and lounge that is onboard a cruise ship for the staff and couldnt find it onboard the Ft Worth.

The cruise ship staff work hard for thier wages and tips and for great service I will tip more but I will never feel sorry for them

BTW I wont share the rest of my photos from this tour this photo proves I was on the Ft worth

29fxe82.jpg

It saddens me to see so many people judge other peoples opinions and everyone is so angry and rude!! :( Can't people just have opinions without so much judgement and why can't people just ask a question without being made to feel like an idiot for asking!!!! Come on people!!! Geezzzzz....

I am sure this one will be closed soon too just like soooooo many threads before.

It saddens me to see so many people judge other peoples opinions and everyone is so angry and rude!! :( Can't people just have opinions without so much judgement and why can't people just ask a question without being made to feel like an idiot for asking!!!! Come on people!!! Geezzzzz....

I am sure this one will be closed soon too just like soooooo many threads before.

Just curious......... does mine sound angry and rude?? If so I dont mean it that way:o

Archived