To Be Announced Cabin

curlymason

This is a little weird to me. I've booked guarantee cabins before with RCCL, and I've always been assigned a cabin immediately. We booked our December CCL cruise two weeks ago, and the cabin is still TBA. I can't quite figure out if that's good or bad. Any one have experience with this?

I'm not sure if that means there's a greater chance of us getting a nicer cabin, or if it means they're waiting for someone in steerage to upgrade so they can deposit us in the bowels of the ship. :D

I usally do last minutes bookings so most of my cruises have been TBA.

In fact I just booked one for 10/27/2012 a few days ago. I've never been disappointed in the TBA's but then again so long as the cabin is on the inside of the ship I'm happy.

Well if you have time to kill you could go with the good ol Kelly Method. I have found mine in the past before they were on my docs. It can be tiresome but, like I said if you have time to kill and cannot get cruising off the mind it is a fun scavenger hunt!:)

Well if you have time to kill you could go with the good ol Kelly Method. I have found mine in the past before they were on my docs. It can be tiresome but, like I said if you have time to kill and cannot get cruising off the mind it is a fun scavenger hunt!:)

Please enlighten me...what is the Kelly Method???

Please enlighten me...what is the Kelly Method???

I am not sure I can say, and I hope it is not frowned upon here.. If so I will say I am sorry in advance.

You log on to the carnival site. goto gifts and act like you are buying a gift. Put your name and booking number and all info on it. then start at the lowest level that you could get. IE an Oceanview room on Riveria deck (you will need to open a second window. and start down the line putting in cabin number it will say invalid number or if you hit it will say would you like to purchace? when you get that you know your cabin:cool:

• 5 weeks later...

I booked a guarntee balcony for the 12/8/12 cruise on the Miracle out of NY last week. The cruise planner at Carnival said my room would be assigned within 72 hours. It still is not posted. There are not many rooms left so I figured it would be assigned. I really don't care just excited to be cruising again :D

One should never book a guarantee cabin without the expectation of getting the very worst cabin in the guaranteed category. That way ensures that you will not be disappointed.

With that said, on the rare occasions (3) that we have booked guarantees, we have never received our cabin assignment until arriving at the pier.

This is a little weird to me. I've booked guarantee cabins before with RCCL, and I've always been assigned a cabin immediately. We booked our December CCL cruise two weeks ago, and the cabin is still TBA. I can't quite figure out if that's good or bad. Any one have experience with this?

I'm not sure if that means there's a greater chance of us getting a nicer cabin, or if it means they're waiting for someone in steerage to upgrade so they can deposit us in the bowels of the ship. :D

We're cruising on the Miracle in 30 days and our cabin is still TBA :(

I'm sailing Nov. 12th, and mine just showed up today.

Of course I also just got switched (this morning) to a guaranteed OV room due to ES price drops. But this morning when I looked it was TBA, and just now I had my room assignment.

I am not sure I can say, and I hope it is not frowned upon here.. If so I will say I am sorry in advance.

You log on to the carnival site. goto gifts and act like you are buying a gift. Put your name and booking number and all info on it. then start at the lowest level that you could get. IE an Oceanview room on Riveria deck (you will need to open a second window. and start down the line putting in cabin number it will say invalid number or if you hit it will say would you like to purchace? when you get that you know your cabin:cool:

I have not heard of this working in years though.. I do remember a couple of years ago it working.. but no people posting its worked since.

I think the upsell dept helped make it not work.. Ive never gotten one of the cabins unassigned lately. Upsell comes in and changes everyone's cabins.. and then I get a entirely new cabin.

We booked a guarantee a few months ago and were TBA until last week. We now have a cabin assigned though I am aware that we could get switched. Because Carnival sails full, they will/can shuffle you around or wait to assign you until the have a good chunk of rooms sold and are deciding how to price out the rest of them. I was prepared for the lowest catgeory and was happily bumped up one. And I got a GREAT deal on our fare so I am not complaining.

We booked pack and go about 2 months ago and was finally assigned our cabin last week. I'm not sure if it's works the same as a guarantee. I was willing to accept whatever interior we got but was happy to see it was an interior on deck 6. Still hoping for a call from the upsell fairy. :D

On most GTY bookings I've had, I usually hope NOT to get a room assignment until the last minute. The only times I've had a significant room upgrade has been when I got the room at the pier.

I'll echo what others said here, though -- if you book GTY, you should be expecting the minimum the GTY category allows (which is what you get most of the time), and thus be pleasantly surprised if you get anything better.

Sadly, since they changed the website, it seems to be more difficult to book GTY -- and once you've picked a room, they rarely upgrade you unless the upsell fairy calls and you pay bucks to do it.

If there are plenty of available rooms they will quickly assign you a room to save bookkeeping. I have a GTY on Westerdam and had just checked it before seeing this post. I am still waiting and am six weeks out from sailing. My experience has been the longer the wait the better the cabin.

I too have had to wait (once) until reaching the pier. Also, consider that it might work to the advantage of the cruiseline in other ways than just flexibility. One I can think of is it draws people back to the website to check and that increases the chances of someone booking shore excursions, indulgences or even booking another trip.

• 2 weeks later...
I booked a guarntee balcony for the 12/8/12 cruise on the Miracle out of NY last week. The cruise planner at Carnival said my room would be assigned within 72 hours. It still is not posted. There are not many rooms left so I figured it would be assigned. I really don't care just excited to be cruising again :D

We just got a cabin assignment today for Nov 30 Miracle cruise....we paid for the oceanview but got a 7A or higher balcony for the price ...the "see the view" fare. We ended up with an 8K extended balcony....not too shabby :D

Archived