New Matter as to roll call competition

kcscrapper

I know that the general opinion here seems to be that no one is particularly interested in the Facebook Roll Calls ... but:

1) HAL made an announcement, apparently on its own initiative, in the form of an invitation to a Meet & Greet for our cruise (coincidentally at the same date and time as had been proposed in the CC Roll Call forum); and

2) Every entry in that HAL Roll Call seems to have disappeared.

Does anyone -- who is interested anyway:) -- have any information or insight into either of the above matters?

[quote name='kcscrapper']I know that the general opinion here seems to be that no one is particularly interested in the Facebook Roll Calls ... but:

1) HAL made an announcement, apparently on its own initiative, in the form of an invitation to a Meet & Greet for our cruise (coincidentally at the same date and time as had been proposed in the CC Roll Call forum); and

Does anyone -- who is interested anyway:) -- have any information or insight into either of the above matters?[/quote]

I don't have a lot of insight - but I have heard from a cc'er who implied that the roll calls were merged for her cruise.

I don't know if that's the norm or not.

Now, that's well and good if they are invited to join the cc roll call.

but without it, it's a bit confusing. We normally have name tags for our meet and greets so it would be a little awkward to have new people arrive and not have name tags for them (and a bit embarrassing).

Perhaps most were on the cc roll call as well and simply dropped out?

I have seen roll call members on the FB page as well.

Looking forward to the other replies to your interesting thread.

I went to one of these FB M & G on the Zuiderdam last Sept.

HAL will schedule and announce a meeting as soon as one of the posting members inquires about it. Their M & G are informal, no name tag, no list, no RSVP required, you just go and show up. The meeting is friendly and unstructured.

There is nobody in charge, it is strictly a HAL meeting of passengers who want to chat with others on no particular subject.

These M & G differ greatly from ours and you are right, they do not seem to generate much interest. They are not meant to generate the friendship one can experience at our own meetings.

Louise

[quote name='happyglobetrotter']
These M & G differ greatly from ours and you are right, they do not seem to generate much interest. They are not meant to generate the friendship one can experience at our own meetings.

Louise[/quote]

Completely speculative, of course, but ... if HAL organizes a Meet & Greet, invites the entire roll call that they have created on Facebook, and provides the little coffee and cookie spread, then why would they cooperate with a different Cruise Critic request for a Meet & Greet?

[quote]Perhaps most were on the cc roll call as well and simply dropped out?[/quote]
Possibly, but I don't think that is applicable to the CC roll call for my upcoming cruise. I've watched it pretty closely, have participated and there are only about 6 "active" posters -- there are 35 "friends" listed on the FB roll call. Which is not to suggest that all of those "friends" haven't merely lurked on the CC boards!

Has anyone else signed up for the HAL Roll Call on Facebook? Are the status poster still there? It really seems self-defeating to establish the group, then wipe the updates! (Unless, of course, technology, or the lack thereof, is to blame!:))

[B]There are a number of us here on CC who have stated in other Facebook threads that we won't participate in a Facebook Roll Call or M & G.. Then again, I hardly ever participate in a CC one either. :o [/B]

[quote name='kcscrapper']Completely speculative, of course, but ... if HAL organizes a Meet & Greet, invites the entire roll call that they have created on Facebook, and provides the little coffee and cookie spread, then why would they cooperate with a different Cruise Critic request for a Meet & Greet?

[B]Possibly, but I don't think that is applicable to the CC roll call for my upcoming cruise. I've watched it pretty closely, have participated and there are only about 6 "active" posters -- there are 35 "friends" listed on the FB roll call. Which is not to suggest that all of those "friends" haven't merely lurked on the CC boards![/B]

[/quote]

the bolding is mine - just to clarify - I wasn't insinuating people dropped out of the cc roll call - but the FB roll call. (ie., they were signed on to the cc roll call as well).

The FB roll call on our cruise has three members - the cc roll call has around 43 and we have over 7 months to go.

HAL has set up our meet and greets gladly - no issue at all btw (I set them up). I suspect by the time the cruise comes, we could have a great turnout:):)

It really is a shame that HAL didn't 'team' up with cc formally. JMO

[quote name='kazu']
It really is a shame that HAL didn't 'team' up with cc formally. JMO[/quote]

It's the second "c" they don't like. Maybe if the name was changed to CruiseFanaticsWhoWillMindlesslyBuyAllOverpricedOfferings.com, then we'll get HAL's attention.

I found out that the link to set up a M&G on FB is for FB M&G only.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]There are a number of us here on CC who have stated in other Facebook threads that we won't participate in a Facebook Roll Call or M & G.. Then again, I hardly ever participate in a CC one either. :o [/B][/quote]

Yes. I read that. Does that mean I shouldn't inquire or bring up the subject? I understand that this is my first HAL cruise ... and don't mean to "rock the boat" (so to speak) with an inquiry that offends others' sensibilities.:) I certainly didn't mean to offend ... but to discuss something I find curious.

Facebook is a social phenomenon (tho' seemingly less so to the stock market!) ... that really isn't "generation" specific -- my 84-year-old Mother has a Facebook account and comments on her grandchildren's updates and photos.

Since HAL has a Facebook account, and since HAL has created those roll call events, perhaps we can surmise that HAL wishes to keep itself up-to-date and relate to the "Facebook generation"?

Updating my earlier comment --- I note that all status notes have been returned to the FB Roll Call for my upcoming event. Looks like a digital hiccup!

On the last CC M&G I did in Mar. on the Noordam I invited those on the FB Roll Call to our M&G. The Noordam put on a lovely spread for us, and not just cookies, and I had invited staff to join us which they did. Hal was very cooperative and all were friendly and helpful.
Helen

[quote name='kcscrapper']Yes. I read that. Does that mean I shouldn't inquire or bring up the subject? I understand that this is my first HAL cruise ... and don't mean to "rock the boat" (so to speak) with an inquiry that offends others' sensibilities.:) I certainly didn't mean to offend ... but to discuss something I find curious.

Facebook is a social phenomenon (tho' seemingly less so to the stock market!) ... that really isn't "generation" specific -- my 84-year-old Mother has a Facebook account and comments on her grandchildren's updates and photos.

Since HAL has a Facebook account, and since HAL has created those roll call events, perhaps we can surmise that HAL wishes to keep itself up-to-date and relate to the "Facebook generation"?

Updating my earlier comment --- I note that all status notes have been returned to the FB Roll Call for my upcoming event. Looks like a digital hiccup![/quote]

Of course you should discuss the topic if it's of interest. It's about cruising and that is what this is about:D Thanks for the update - appreciated:D

There is one very good reason not to post to the Facebook roll call -- most people use their real names on Facebook (everyone is supposed to, but it is impossible to enforce). A roll call on the HAL Facebook site and a few minutes with Google and your neighborhood burglars have a shopping list.

[quote name='kcscrapper']I know that the general opinion here seems to be that no one is particularly interested in the Facebook Roll Calls ... but:

Does anyone -- who is interested anyway:) -- have any information or insight into either of the above matters?[/quote]

Cannot shed any light on 1). I suspect 2) is a coincidental bug. I have had it happen on several unrelated pages - no entries even if I am a member or it is an open or public event/page. Log out, log back in , cross fingers, mumble an incantation and sometimes the entries come back.

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue]....I checked the HAL Roll Call for my 25 November 2012 Nieuw Amsterdam cruise.

Our M&G, which I set up is 27 November at 10:00 a.m. in The Captain's Corner of the Crow's Nest.

On the HAL Roll Call the invitation for their M&G Says:

[U]QUOTE[/U]: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=4]We invite you to join your fellow Facebook Roll Call cruisers for a Meet & Greet on Nov 27th in the Captain’s Corner at 3pm. Complimentary coffee, tea, water and cookies will be served. Please feel free to comment below to connect with fellow cruisers if you plan on attending!"[/SIZE][/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue]UNQUOTE[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B]And for our Westerdam Cruise sailing on 2 Dec 2012 there is only the following[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B][U]QUOTE[/U]: [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=4][B]"To schedule a “Meet & Greet” for your Roll Call group to enjoy an official in-person gathering with complimentary refreshments in the Crow’s Nest or similar venue, please fill out the REQUEST FORM[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=4][B]"[/B][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B]UNQUOTE[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B]So I am not worried that our Cruise Critic Roll Call will be affected by several dozen more than planned for. It would be a heck of a problem when we, the M&G planners, have to specify number of attendees and then to have so many more attending and not enough to go around.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B]Joanie[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I got an invitation from HAL to a M&G via Facebook to attend a gathering on November 25. Gee, I didn't know I was cruising that day.....will have been home for ten days when this occurs. I guess I'm going to Australia for a sixteen day cruise. Hmmm, not a bad idea, but just not this year.

Interesting, as I've never signed up for a HAL Facebook roll call and won't. I use it only for keeping up with family.

Nice of them to invite me. Wonder when they'll contact me to give me this cruise and the accompanying air?

[quote name='kcscrapper']Yes. I read that. Does that mean I shouldn't inquire or bring up the subject? I understand that this is my first HAL cruise ... and don't mean to "rock the boat" (so to speak) with an inquiry that offends others' sensibilities.:) I certainly didn't mean to offend ... but to discuss something I find curious.

[/quote]

[B] Of course, it doesn't mean you shouldn't ask. I didn't think I said that but if you interpreted that, sorry. That was not my message. Ask away. :) I was just commenting that some of us do not do Facebook RollCalls but some of those same people do CC Roll Calls.

[/B]

[quote]

[/Quote]

[B] I'm not 84 (by a long stretch) but great your Mom Facebooks.
I have a Facebook account, also. I like to see friends' photos. I almost never write anything except a Happy Birthday to a friend or nice photo comment. :)

[/B]

[quote]

Updating my earlier comment --- I note that all status notes have been returned to the FB Roll Call for my upcoming event. Looks like a digital hiccup![/quote]

[B] My comments in bold. I hope I left kcscrapper's comments intact. :o

[/B]

[quote name='Esri']There is one very good reason not to post to the Facebook roll call -- most people use their real names on Facebook (everyone is supposed to, but it is impossible to enforce). A roll call on the HAL Facebook site and a few minutes with Google and your neighborhood burglars have a shopping list.[/quote]

Exactly why I won't join Facebooks

[quote name='ksqueak']I do have a facebook account and "like" HAL, so why haven't they invited me to a M&G? I'm attending 2 on my trip, both cc[/quote]

I think you have to sign up on the facebook roll call first:)

• 1 month later...
Our CC roll call hasn't had anyone volunteer to do a Meet and Greet but I just saw on Facebook this invitation. I have volunteered to host a BYOB Cocktail party in my suite sort of like( I hope) "aliaschief" did on the Nov 16th cruise.

[B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/HALCruises/events?ref=stream"]Holland America Line[/URL]
[/B]

[B]We invite you to join your fellow Facebook Roll Call cruisers for a Meet & Greet on
Dec 9th in the Captain’s Corner at 10am. Complimentary coffee, tea, water and cookies will be served. Please feel free to comment below to connect with fellow cruisers if you plan on attending!
[/B]

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/events/229129403789188/#"]Like[/URL] · · [URL="https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=450596421642484&id=229129403789188"]Wednesday at 3:46pm[/URL]
I wonder how many Facebook people will show. One of the posters asked where the Captain's Corner is and HAL has still not responded with an answer.

I like to keep the "cruise addict" part of my life separate from my "real life". I don't always tell people about our cruises. In fact, most of the time I don't mention it unless someone asks or it comes up. I do NOT want it broadcasted on Facebook where and when we are going for a multitude of reasons.

We had a CC M&G on the Oosterdam on 8 November for the Solar Eclipse Cruise. When several of us arrived there was a "set up" of coffee, cookies etc in the Captains Corner of the Crows Nest and a few passengers already there. They were "signed up" for the Facebook Toll Call get together. Confusion for a short time until our oganiser, Swissmyst established that the booking was for Cruise Critic as arranged ahead and we agreed that the FBers would be welcome. I had not added names to the printed labels, which worked out well as there were some no shows for CC and it nicely balanced out the numbers.

I hosted a CC M&G and posted my invitation .gif on the FaceBook Roll Call page. I also sent invitations to and made name tags for the FB members and announced at the beginning of the M&G that a few FB members would be joining us. They were welcomed as any other guest would be.

Archived