choosing between RCCL Splendour or Celebrity Equinox

Hi there, could I please ask for some advice?

DH and I are looking at cruises this November to Greek Isles, Nov 10 on the Splendour and Nov 16 on the Equinox and cannot make up our minds! We know the weather is not going to be ideal at this time of year but both cruises offer something different, would appreciate advice from anyone who has sailed on both ships.

We are in our late 30's, have cruised on Eclipse and love the Celebrity product but have been curious about RCCL for a while. I feel that we will get more luxury onboard Equinox but may well be wrong. We would be booking a gaurentee suite on Splendour and balcony on Equinox, though there is an upgrade option to Aquaclass which is tempting but we would have to book our flights to Rome and transfers seperately with that offer.

Any thoughts?

No comparison between the 2 ships....Equinox for sure...Splendor is a much older smaller ship....I personally would rather have a standard balcony cabin on Equinox than a suite on Splendor.

What he said!

I've been on both and I prefer the Splendour. We found X a bit stuffy for our taste but since you have been with them before you know what they are like. The main thing I would consider would be the itinerary. The Greek Islands are breathtaking and I would choose them over any of the Italian or Spanish Ports of call. (except Venice!)

You will have a wonderful holiday whichever you choose.

1. Equinox....Veranda GTY for $999! Aqua GTY for $1349 & you'll love Blu!

2. Rome transfers on your own are easy, we just did it in August.

3. Going by your past cruises, you are working towards Elite status, unless you already are.

Good luck

I been on Legend, Splendour's sister ship and on Sihouette, Equinox's sister and there is no comparison between the two. The Solstice class ships are absolutely beautiful and top of the line. The junior suite you will likely get with a suite guarantee on Splendour isn't that much larger than a Solstice class balcony stateroom.

We recently had a choice between similar southern Caribbean cruises on Solstice class Eclipse and RC Vision of the Seas which is also in the same class as Splendour. Vision had a much lower per day cost but as you can see in my signature the Eclipse was the one we booked.

We have cruised Splendour and Celebrity [although not a Solstice class ship]. I was personally left wondering what the big whoop is about Celebrity. It was by far and away the worst service we have ever had aboard ship [well there was that one Jewel cruise]. All of the alleged "luxury" stuff seemed superficial and trivial. Things like the free glass of cheap sparkling wine on boarding and the fact the servers wear fancier clothes are lost on me. Our cabin on Celebrity was fine, but not any more comfortable than we have had on RCI. As to the MDR, there were [i think] more options on the menu but no significant upgrade in quality compared to RCI. I don't think our waiter ever told us his name. The first night, it was 30 minutes before he bothered to stop by our table. I am curious about the Solstice ships, so I would consider it, but if I were you, assuming price to be comparable, I would make the decision based on the itinerary. Splendour is older and smaller [i think smaller is a big plus on port intensive Med itineraries], but she has just been through a major drydock and we loved her the way she was.

We have cruised Splendour and Celebrity [although not a Solstice class ship]. I was personally left wondering what the big whoop is about Celebrity. It was by far and away the worst service we have ever had aboard ship [well there was that one Jewel cruise]. All of the alleged "luxury" stuff seemed superficial and trivial. Things like the free glass of cheap sparkling wine on boarding and the fact the servers wear fancier clothes are lost on me. Our cabin on Celebrity was fine, but not any more comfortable than we have had on RCI. As to the MDR, there were [i think] more options on the menu but no significant upgrade in quality compared to RCI. I don't think our waiter ever told us his name. The first night, it was 30 minutes before he bothered to stop by our table. I am curious about the Solstice ships, so I would consider it, but if I were you, assuming price to be comparable, I would make the decision based on the itinerary. Splendour is older and smaller [i think smaller is a big plus on port intensive Med itineraries], but she has just been through a major drydock and we loved her the way she was.

That's probably like cruising on Splendor trying to get a good example of Royal as a line.....HUGE difference say between Splendor and Oasis... cruising IMO is all VERY ship dependent.

Thank you lovely people! I knew I would get the help I needed here :)

We are booked on Equinox, got a steal on an aquaclass (though sadly it is under the overhang...) now I just have to figure out transfers and pray for some warm waether out there!

I'd love to share where I found the deal but I'm not allowed to say on here am I?

We are booked on Equinox, got a steal on an aquaclass (though sadly it is under the overhang...) now I just have to figure out transfers and pray for some warm waether out there!

I'd love to share where I found the deal but I'm not allowed to say on here am I?

GREAT choice....ENJOY:)

Hi there, could I please ask for some advice?

DH and I are looking at cruises this November to Greek Isles, Nov 10 on the Splendour and Nov 16 on the Equinox and cannot make up our minds! We know the weather is not going to be ideal at this time of year but both cruises offer something different, would appreciate advice from anyone who has sailed on both ships.

We are in our late 30's, have cruised on Eclipse and love the Celebrity product but have been curious about RCCL for a while. I feel that we will get more luxury onboard Equinox but may well be wrong. We would be booking a gaurentee suite on Splendour and balcony on Equinox, though there is an upgrade option to Aquaclass which is tempting but we would have to book our flights to Rome and transfers seperately with that offer.

:D As far as I am concerned go CELEBRITY over anything else.

We are Elite with over 30 Celebrity cruises since 1989. RCCL is ok, diiamond + there,same parent company, but it's just not Celeb. Many more regular things on Celeb are perks on RCCL. The Celeb food can not be matched by RCCL, in fact some food choices on Explorer of the Seas were not even as good as diner food.

My kids 45,40, 36 and spouses and Grand kids 18 to 8 love Celeb over any other cruise line, Carnival included.

Aqua class is very nice, balcony very convenient with lovely photo ops while in port.

And with a gaurantee you can go either up or down, but usually up, since they would rather have a cruiser happily bragging about their good fortune than complaining about their cabin. After all an empty cabin does not cost the cruise line anything, but the good will with a surprise upgrade is priceless. Either way, ENJOY your cruise,:)

Great choice!! You are going to love the Equinox!!!

That's probably like cruising on Splendor trying to get a good example of Royal as a line.....HUGE difference say between Splendor and Oasis... cruising IMO is all VERY ship dependent.

We have cruised RCI classes from Splendour to Independence -- not yet had the pleasure of Oasis class. I have always found RCI's product to have a similar "feel" on every ship. If the best Celebrity can come up with is "but that's not our best ship, it is a pretty flimsy excuse IMO. If they don't care enough to put quality in their older ships, that really tells me all I need to know.

We have cruised RCI classes from Splendour to Independence -- not yet had the pleasure of Oasis class. I have always found RCI's product to have a similar "feel" on every ship. If the best Celebrity can come up with is "but that's not our best ship, it is a pretty flimsy excuse IMO. If they don't care enough to put quality in their older ships, that really tells me all I need to know.

The older Celebrity ships are pretty much going through a revitalization similar to Royals. However my point is that an older ship isn't always the best example of a particular CL;)....but I get it....you weren't impressed with Celebrity....that is why it's nice to have choice:)

Equinox and the food and stuffy people on it.... avoid celebrity like the pleuge.. its not worth the $$$$$$$$$

Actually......While Celebrity usually starts off at a premium in price to the comparable Royal product...I have found that pricing usually doesn't hold up as well as Royal.

Archived