Looking for the perfect beach in Grand Cayman

Folsom

OK, so on my first cruise we went to St. Maarten and we took a cab to Orient Beach. To date this has been my favorite beach experience and I am looking to duplicate it. I thought about what made it so nice and relaxing and I have developed my "wish list" for a beach while we are in port.

Please review my list and let me know if you can recommend one that comes close.

1. Within 30 minutes of the dock.

2. Chairs and umbrellas for rent.

3. Bar service (or a bar close by)

4. changing facilities

5. Not too crowded.

Thanks so much for your time if you decide to reply.

-F-

OK, so on my first cruise we went to St. Maarten and we took a cab to Orient Beach. To date this has been my favorite beach experience and I am looking to duplicate it. I thought about what made it so nice and relaxing and I have developed my "wish list" for a beach while we are in port.

Please review my list and let me know if you can recommend one that comes close.

1. Within 30 minutes of the dock.

2. Chairs and umbrellas for rent.

3. Bar service (or a bar close by)

4. changing facilities

5. Not too crowded.

Thanks so much for your time if you decide to reply.

-F-

Any one of the three beach clubs that line Seven Mile Beach will be your best bets. Either Royal Palms, Public Beach (aka Seagrape, aka Calico Jacks) or Tiki Beach will tic-off #'s 1-4 from your requirements list. Requirements #5 will be dependent on how many other cruise visitors choose the same choice for their beach visit.

Getting to Seagrape was well less than 30 mins. Returning took longer, as traffic backs up on this ONLY road! You can clearly see how fast traffic is moving, and make your return plans that way. It has everything on your list. If one area starts to get crowded...move down a bit! The entire beach is there for you to use!!

Unfortunately the perfect beach doesn't exist (that is, item 5 doesn't mix with items 1 - 4).

Royal Palms is the closest on GCM that you'll get to OB, if you liked the vibe of OB you'll be fine at RP. Nowhere else to walk to like on OB but all of your requirements will be met except 5. We stayed at the Alamanda Hotel on OB and it was busy at the bars on the beach in that area. It may be a little quieter at RP as compared to most areas of OB on ship days but there will be a crowd. Check the RP site for their web cam to get an idea.

http://royalpalmscayman.com/royal-palms-webcams/

To get closer to perfection I would rent a car and drive to Rum Point. You will find a beach just as nice, full bar and food service, chair rentals, and not too crowded. Also jet-ski rentals if you want that (great spot for that). 45 min easy drive, if you use a credit card that covers insurance the cost is cheap. We just spent 10 days on Seven Mile Beach and if we cruise there again we'll head directly to Rum Point.

Sorry to hijack, but we're also looking for a beach spot to relax as our other port stop will be busy busy. Preferably, we'd just like to lie on a lounge chair (happy to pay) and drink a gigantic frozen drink. Is it possible to buy one of those yard long (maybe not quite that big lol) drinks at any one of these beach stops? I know Grand Caymans has stricter liquor laws, so thought we'd ask. Thanks!

If it helps, it looks like most of Carnival's beach excursions go to Tiki beach, so I'd imagine this one would be super busy.

Oh, and by "nowhere else to walk," I assume that means there are breaks in the beach and we wouldn't be able to talk a long walk along the shore?

Seven Mile Beach is an uninterrupted 5.5 miles of sand, end to end. So you can walk 'til your heart's content. You can technically walk from beach club to beach club if you so desired (range from ~.5 to ~3 miles apart). I think blue_water was advising that the beach is not lined with easily accessible beach bars and restaurants like some other ports.

Haven't seen any "yard" drinks at the beach establishments, but haven't looked either. Best place for such drinks might be Margaritaville in George town near the cruise ship terminal.

Seven Mile Beach is an uninterrupted 5.5 miles of sand, end to end. So you can walk 'til your heart's content. You can technically walk from beach club to beach club if you so desired (range from ~.5 to ~3 miles apart). I think blue_water was advising that the beach is not lined with easily accessible beach bars and restaurants like some other ports.

Haven't seen any "yard" drinks at the beach establishments, but haven't looked either. Best place for such drinks might be Margaritaville in George town near the cruise ship terminal.

Thank you! I think we'll live without the large drinks, might just have to order a few ;). Last time we were in Grand Caymans we went to Eden Rock to snorkel first and then stop in at Margaritaville. Got one of their smaller margaritas and was actually a bit disappointed in the quality. But they made up for it by pouring a shot of tequila in my mouth a few minutes later :D.

>> I think blue_water was advising that the beach is not lined with easily accessible beach bars and restaurants like some other ports.<<

Yes, I was comparing SMB to Orient Beach (OB) which the OP was referencing. There are several beach bars lining OB, whereas SMB is primarily condo resorts and hotels. So quite different from OB but one of the "pay to stay" beach clubs will be the closest for you.

We prefer the Reef Grill at Royal Palms for the foof and drinks (great rum punches), and because there are a couple other places within walking distance just south of the Marriott to mix it up a little. The same place can get old after awhile.

Stingers is a small bar at Comfort Suites, and Coconut Joe's is a fun open-air bar across the street. Both offer daily drink and food specials. Coconut Joe's is a great spot to enjoy 2 for 1 drinks and buckets of beer before heading back to the dock. We enjoyed it there when we stayed at the Marriott in Sept, fun spot.

Archived