For O veterans - thoughts on Amazon cruise

pacheco18

We are looking for places to go LOL

I am considering an Amazon cruise - Rio to Miami. I have been to Rio (but 30 years ago). My husband has never been to Rio and I want him to see it.

Would those of you who have taken the Amazon cruise (either the Rio/Miami or Miami/Miami consider this a "fabulous" itinerary or "great experience."

I haven't done the Amazon with Oceania, but with another cruiseline, I had high expectations(perhaps too high) and found the itinerary fairly underwhelming. It is a fairly long trip up to Manaus, Manaus is interesting but can be seen in a day. We all joked that the trip reminded us of summer camp due to the constant smell of smoke and mosquito repellant. I would say I am glad to have done it once, but would not consider doing this again, in fact I would skip that part of a circle S. America itinerary in the future. I think it is probably worthwhile as long as you are aware of the type of trip it is beforehand.

We did the trip in March 2011 on the Regatta. It is a great trip and we had a wonderful time. When you stop at Boca del Valeria, be sure and take one of the canoe rides that the locals offer. You will have fun and everyone should see the Amazon River once.

Go, have fun, the Regatta is a great ship.

We did it last year on the Regatta: New York City to Miami, loved it. The Amazon up to Manaus is the highway for the area, don't expect it to be filled with visible wildlife. Bring binoculars to better observe the shorelines. There was no smoke and no mosquitos on our November trip at the end of the dry season.

Agree -- do it to cross it off your bucket list. I'm glad we did it, but would not do it again. Boca de Valeria is worth it, as is the pageant at Parintins. Manuaus is fascinating -- like Barcelona in the middle of the jungle -- who knew? -- but not all that fascinating.

Rio is another I will never repeat -- I had no interests in the Fava slums, and once I'd visited Sugarloaf and Corcovado I was ready to go home. I found Recife, and especaily Salvador, more interesting.

And don't expect to see the real Amazon and its tributaries. The ship is far too large for that. This is amazon 101 but if you want to cross it off your bucket list it's a pleasant way to do it.

While I have not been on that cruise, I know several who have. Their take was all towns and sights sit far from river bank, The country side is pretty boring, flat and minor forest. Shore ex were some times scary needing armed guards.

They said it sounded like a good idea at the time....and they went.

Would not do it again or reccomend it un less you had some special passion that would be fulfilled

I agree that this is sailing up the colorado river from the Baja to Needles expecting to see the Colorado of the Grand Canyon. Its the river in name only... To see the Amazon I would fly to Manus and take an expedition tour up river from there...

And don't expect to see the real Amazon and its tributaries. The ship is far too large for that. This is amazon 101 but if you want to cross it off your bucket list it's a pleasant way to do it.

It's far from the most interesting trip and very long just to see Rio.

If you can find a Rio to Santiago, now that's an interesting and beautiful trip minus the heat and mosquitoes.

Agree -- do it to cross it off your bucket list. I'm glad we did it, but would not do it again. Boca de Valeria is worth it, as is the pageant at Parintins. Manuaus is fascinating -- like Barcelona in the middle of the jungle -- who knew? -- but not all that fascinating.

Rio is another I will never repeat -- I had no interests in the Fava slums, and once I'd visited Sugarloaf and Corcovado I was ready to go home. I found Recife, and especaily Salvador, more interesting.

We will soon be going to Brazil again and want to see Salvador and Rio Now we know which excursions to take,

We did the Miami to Miami several years ago and found the river itself the most fascinating part of the trip.

~Doris~Who also enjoyed Devil's Island

I cannot agree with hondorner about Rio. Aside from its breathtaking natural beauty there is a vibrance in the street and on the beaches which is infectious. Rio is not about sights, it's about a life style. I've been a few times and would return in a heartbeat. But everyone has different interests.

I enjoyed the sights and beaches of Rio, but I do have to be honest. I really did not feel too safe walking around. We wanted to see the H Stern store and factory and they send a van to pick people up at the hotels. Our driver gave us his card and told us to call him instead of a taxi if we wanted to go out to dinner and he would take us wherever we wanted to go at no charge. He said the store pays him because they are tired of incidents with taxi drivers and their customers. This was about 5 years ago, so the situation might have changed.

Well, Laraine. I have done the Amazon cruise and loved it. I even took a motorcycle ride in Paratins with a local which was awesome. I never felt unsafe and that says a lot due to my former profession. I was not unhappy with the cruise just a few of the tour mates I had set up in Manaus. My cabin was aft which gave me a great view of the River. Wasn't on my bucket list but the single supplement was 125% instead of 200%. I had pre paid gratuities and almost 500 extra in Onboard credit, plus a free business class ticket. I couldn't afford not to go. Would i go back, probably not because i want to travel other places. I totally enjoyed the experience because I chose to.

Now Rio is my favorite place and Paul and I will be spending our first anniversary there next year. I agree with Wripro. It is infectious. You feel their vibrance everywhere. I stayed at the Copacabana Palace Hotel and had a fabulous guide. H Stern was next door so I didn't have far to go. We plan on staying there again. Its like food which is subjective. You and I Sailed on the TA last year and both had different reviews of the food on the Marina. Its an adventure and glad I was physically and financially able to do see both. We do agree about knitting :)

Never too early to celebrate, Maria!! Will I see you late November?

We are not doing the Amazon -- most of you have convinced me!

Instead, I have decided to do an Adriatic cruise from Venice, return to Florence for a few nights and then spend a week in a villa in Tuscany driving around. My husband is actually excited about it! I spent an unforgettable week in Tuscany at cooking school in the 90's -- I am looking forward to going back and visiting some of the towns I missed.

We are doing an Antarctica cruise RT Buenos Aires in Jan 2014. I plan to book a few nights in RIO on the way back. Agree with Maria and Wripro, it is magical, and I want my husband to experience it.

Archived