Sticker Shock!

Treta1

I've sailed RCCL the last 4 years (Voyager, Explorer, Navigator, Mariner) and wasn't sure if I was going to take a cruise this year because I thought I might be changing jobs and wouldn't be able to take time off over the summer.

Now it appears I will be able to vacation this summer but just checked the cruise prices and found they are about 1,500 to 2,000 dollars more for the same cabin than in the past. I had read that cruise bookings were at pre-911 levels again and cruise rates would be higher but I never thought by this much!

Anyway, now that I've waited until this late in the season, is it better to wait until it gets closer to the month I want to cruise (July) and hope I can find a better price if RCCL looks to fill cabins the closer it gets to that sail date?

I've always heard to get the better rates it's best to book very early or very late.

In the cruises that I have taken only one of them ever came down in price. All the rest sailed at least 250pp higher by the time we sailed. If a cruise is something you want to do this summer--- Isuggest to book it now and watch the prices- If it comes down the cruiselines will offer you the new rate. Some agents dont offer that-so make sure.

The other problem is ship are sailing full now too. You want prime time so there may not be any when you want. Having said that if you are now worried about where or when in the summer watch the 90 ticker things and 60 day. choose one as soon as the prices drop because they won't be there later.

It's always best to book leisure travel while in the deepest part of a recession. Once the economy recovers, as it is now recoverying, prices return to their normal levels, which in some cases ends up being practically unaffordable for many of us.

We were able to get a last-minute deal last November on a holiday cruise. Traditionally, they also sell at a premium. I am signed up with several cruise lines to get their email specials. I also get them from a few Internet TAs. They haven't been as plentiful or as inexpensive as previous years. But there are still some deals out there--like Alaska for $399 and Bermuda for $800. (The Bermuda price sounds like a lot, but it's a lot better than it was earlier.)

We always cruise during spring break and realize that's a pricey time of year. But it's when we really want to go. After 10 cruises w/RCI, a couple w/Princess and a couple some time ago w/NCL, we started cruising w/Princess this past year. RCI's prices HAVE gone way up in my opinion. There was the thing w/the lines not wanting the various agencies to discount the cabins more than the line itself, and that has hurt. So what if you get wine every nt. as a bonus? For some, like us, that doesn't matter. Princess offers way more onboard credits and sometimes lower deposits and is of similar quality. I love RCI's ships and think it's a great all round line. But even their past guest coupons and stuff seem way more restricted now. Don't know when we'll get around to sailing w/them again. We've done 2 Princess cruises since last fall and have another one lined up for Europe next summer. Still hoping to do one w/some (?) line next spring, but if we do it w/RCI we'll HAVE to book it early. RCI's just pricing us out of their line and it's too bad.

if you put i cruise all together and add the dot com. lookfor the cruise tracker.

But can tell you that this tracker did not work for me last week. We dpeosited for our cruise on the Liberty back in February. I look at the price every day using the cruiselines web page. (yes everymorning) last week that cruise came down 50.00pp for the 1st and 2nd person and 100.00 off pp for the 3rd and 4th. So-- dont count on icrusie to keep you posted either. To this day I never was informed that the price came down. Look yourself.

Ya what serene56 said.. I just signed up yesterday so I do not know if it will work.. but hey it was free so I thought I would give it a shot.. I do keep checking myself daily to see if the price goes down... I have a question if I find a cheaper rate for the same deal I have with CarnivaL.. will they match that fare??? Anyone have experience with that.. Oh and just a side note that site doesn't include port fees...

Yes, no matter if you are signed up w/cruisetracker or not, you must ALWAYS check on prices yourself. Go to other websites, the cruiseline's own website, anyplace you can find prices. A good agent won't mind if you call only a couple of times to ask if they will doublecheck your price. Most agents are too busy to keep constant watch for you. Sometimes when you get "bumped up" the real reason is the price of your original cabin went DOWN, but to avoid having to mess w/refunds or cut commissions, they just give you a "deal" - ie put you into a higher category. People who have personal relationships w/a particular agent and book w/them time after time (basically those who don't jump ship for a lower price w/another agent), are more likely to have their agents keep a closer watch for them. IF you are not past your final payment date you have the option of cancelling w/a full refund. (Make sure you know if your agency charges their own fee for cancellations. Cruiselines don't prior to your final payment date. Read the back of your cruise brochure for the REAL final payment date, too!) Most agencies will adjust your price if it goes down PRIOR to this date because they know you have the option of cancelling then dealing w/an agent who will give you the lower price. After this date it is usually a different matter. There are those out there who know a lot more about this than me, so if you ask a question about it on the cruise question section, I'm sure some of them will reply, I'm sure.

... I have a question if I find a cheaper rate for the same deal I have with CarnivaL.. will they match that fare??? Anyone have experience with that.. Oh and just a side note that site doesn't include port fees...

Carnival will not beat a price of another agency. But if you see that agency is charging a great deal lower then carnival you can transfer the booking. BUt make sure of any hidden costs before you do so. and make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Archived