Live blog from Westerdam's 30 night Hawaii and French Polynesia cruise

Bescotti

Today those who received their Copper medallions on this cruise met for the customary photo.

We have set a new record for HAL as 206 of us received them on this cruise and our very large group photo is going to be submitted to HAL's newsletter. The ship listed slightly to one side as we walked from the Vista Lounge to the Dining Room for lunch (from the copper of course, not the Chocolate Seduction treats I've been enjoying.):D

Bev

Today those who received their Copper medallions on this cruise met for the customary photo.

We have set a new record for HAL as 206 of us received them on this cruise and our very large group photo is going to be submitted to HAL's newsletter. The ship listed slightly to one side as we walked from the Vista Lounge to the Dining Room for lunch (from the copper of course, not the Chocolate Seduction treats I've been enjoying.):D

Bev

Too funny! Can't wait to see the group photo!

• 2 weeks later...
In 2 hours I will leave my hotel in San Diego, cross the road and board the Westerdam for its cruise to Hawaii, Tahiti and the Marquesas. While on board I will be blogging, internet access permitting, similar to what I did on the Veendam's Antarctic and South American cruise last year.

We have had an extremely active rollcall and Kakalina and CoolChile have done a great job organsing the M&Gs and keeping track of the nearly 200 on the roll call. I am participating in most of the private excursions including Patrick's tours in Bora Bora, plus a couple of HAL cruises in Tahiti.

I know someone was talking about possibly doing a live thread of the cruise but I prefer a live blog so I can upload photos and my family and friends can follow. I will check back here if anyone has any questions along the way.

If you'd like to follow, the link is:

http://bescotti.blogspot.com/

Bev

I so enjoyed your daily blogs (and fab photos) of this cruise experience!!!

My Statendam departure is Nov 23rd on a similar itinerary. Yikes! Only 12 days away! :eek: Please share where you found your snorkeling gear in Honolulu....and any other suggestions and/or information. Thanks!

Appreciate your providing a preview of my next 28 days with HAL...yours is the very best travel journal I have read! :D

:) Tee

We are on this cruise in April and would like to have a drink at one of the hotels on Waikiki during our overnite in Honolulu. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best beachfront hotel bar and the way to get there from the pier?

Thanks

Well, I’ve been back at work for a week now and it was a shock to the system to realise I have to cook and clean up after myself.

I’ve just finished the blog for now, going back and uploading photos I couldn’t do while on the cruise and some editing which I somehow missed at the time.

I’m glad people have enjoyed my blog. It’s not my style to give a blow by blow account of what I’ve done during the day but I hope my observations might be of benefit or interest to others, especially if they are planning a similar cruise.

I truly had a great cruise but I know there were some on board who did not share the same experience. I have travelled extensively over the years, including a lot of third world countries which I enjoy visiting because of their people, cultures and history, but it has also made me very aware of how extremely lucky we are in more developed countries to have the freedom and opportunity to travel and enjoy cruises such as this one - and not have to worry about where the next drinking water or meal will come from.

So if we miss a port because of a medical emergency or we dock somewhere instead of being anchored and tendered in (yes, someone went to the Front Office to formally complain about that!) I take it in my stride – the alternative is I could be at work!

I’d like to mention what a great job Jan, Sherrie and Sandra did in organising the private excursions I joined. I did a mix of both rollcall and HAL excursions and the only one I wouldn’t recommend is the HAL Papeete OBT 4WD. An island tour would cover most of the same places but also visit other sites along the way. And on Nuka Hiva the private tour with Jocelyn beats the HAL tour hands down!

The Westerdam had one of the best crew I have come across on a cruise and they all seemed genuinely happy to be there. My only complaint about the cruise (apart from having to get off the ship in San Diego) was the internet connection and speed. If I had known it was going to be so slow and also not have access from my cabin I probably would not have committed to doing the blog but once started I wasn’t going to give up.

So, if you have any questions about the cruise I can help you with, feel free to ask.

Happy sailing

Bev

Trish, yes we did have a lot of fun on our trivia team - and the champagne was a great way to finish it off. Pity you couldn't join the rest of the team for Margaritas in Old Town on our way to the airport as it was such a nice way to end the trip.

Thanks also for all the helpful advice you gave on our rollcall leading up to the cruise and also coordinating with HAL for the M&G and CC lunch - both events so very well attended!

Hope your future cruises are great and that you slay them in trivia!

Bev

Bev,

great blog! I only read it when we got home as the ole interwebz connection on the Westy was a bit lethargic, as well you know!

Trisha,

I second/echo Bev's sentiments about all the help you were for the cruise! A wealth of knowledge higher than the national debt you are!

Bev & Trisha (Virgil too),

great metting you ladies (and gentelman)! IMO it was a great experience with few annoyances, the trip and meeting you! I am going to put up a review thread one of these days... I still need to sort through approx 15 GB of pics! :eek:

Derek

Bev, just read your Blog, what great writing, and love the photo's. I cant help to ask - do you cruise alone? I would love to do a long cruise such as this.. and I have an interest in photography as well. Just wanted to say thank you - this really was inspirational for me.

Very well done,

I cant help to ask - do you cruise alone? I would love to do a long cruise such as this.. and I have an interest in photography as well.

Many thanks for your kind comments. And yes, I cruise alone. I have cruised with others in the past but I actually enjoy travelling on my own as I can do what I want and I tend to meet and talk to more people when I'm on my own.

I loved the length of the cruise and put an open deposit on another 24-36 night cruise, hoping to work my way up to a Grand Voyage when I'm no longer working.

This cruise wasn't so much about photography as most of my past travels have been and as I was having such trouble uploading photos on the ship, the images are low quality compared to what my cameras produce. You would be able to see the difference if you saw my photos from my Veendam crusie at the beginning of the blog.

I have been thinking this would be my last blog but I've had such a lot of positive feedback, not only on these boards, but from family and friends that I'll probably continue it for my next trip, whenever that might be (next year definitely). I enjoy reading other travel blogs for ideas, inspiration and travelling vicariously so if others get the same enjoyable from mine I'm thrilled.

Bev

Archived